The Sound of Music

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
smiths32

The Sound of Music

Post by smiths32 »

There appears to be a fair amount of interest in music amongst many members of The GHZ, and although there have been topics in the past about our interests in music and whatnot, I thought that it would be useful to create an all inclusive thread about what kind of music we like, and any involvement we happen to have with music. I know that Baba was told to stop creating topics concerning elements of music and my apologies if this kind of topic isn't wanted but I believe that it's something that could create interesting discussion and it isn't just aboud a particular group or album that many people don't know or don't care about.

My musical tastes have changed somewhat since the last thread was on the go. My favourite band still remains as Guns N' Roses, both their raw rock and roll seen on Appetite For Destruction and the bloated ballads from the Use Your Illusion albums just seem to strike a chord. I've also taken a liken to Motley Crue, their songs are normally quite catchy while having a rough metal edge to them. Amongst others, I'm also a fan of Aerosmith, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and Queen.

There's also video game soundtracks, I've taken a big liking to the Snatcher Zoom Tracks, and am a long time fan of the Street Fighter, Sonic, Streets of Rage, Mega Man and various Square game soundtracks.

I also bought an accoustic guitar a few days ago, so I'm trying to learn myself how to play it. Perhaps 17's a bit late for starting on a musical instrument but I'll give it a bash.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Definitely video game music all around, here. I never buy music CDs, ever, so I don't have a good taste of <i>real</i> music; instead, I have loads of game MP3s, MIDIs, music modules, emulated filetypes (eg: SPC, NSF, VGM), et al. Awesome crap.

Fave series: <i>Sonic</i>, <i>Mega Man</i>, <i>Castlevania</i>, <i>Streets of Rage</i>. Getting into <i>Street Fighter</i> after <i>Collection</i> turned me on to the series. Man, a <i>Sega-Sammy Vs. Capcom</i> would be sweet. (Sammy so we can include Bridget, who everyone is gay for.)

That said, while I don't BUY music CDs, I have a few - very few - which consist of one Weird Al album (<i>Poodle Hat</i>), one Smooth Jazz compilation, a few classical music CDs, and a fair amount of Christmas music (which, naturally, I tend not to listen to until Christmas).

MegaKitsune

Post by MegaKitsune »

Fave Genres: Acid, Acid Jazz, Chiptune, Drum N' Bass, Funk, Happy Hardcore, Rave, VGM.

Fave Bands: Pendulum, Dune, Jamiroquai, Deee-Lite!, Thievery Corporation

Fave song: Dune - Million Miles From Home

Fave VGM soundtracks: DOA 4, Rocket Knight Adventures, Unreal Tournament, Sonic Adventure 2, Star Fox Adventures

Yeah, I'm one of those people who listen to "techno". Flame me. :roll:

EDIT: I also make techno on my PC, nothing showcase worthy yet though. I am also learning to play piano.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

My favorite band of all time is Gentle Giant, who none of you have ever heard of.

My second favorite is ABBA. I'm not even kidding. I can play virtually every song they've ever written.

I'd go into more detail, but I'd rather not, as further expanding upon music will bring back bad habits.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Baba O'Reily wrote:My second favorite is ABBA.
MOTHERFUCKING BANNED

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I'm a huge Beatles fan. I also love their solo careers: John, George, Paul, Ringo (in that order). I've been listening to Sufjan Stevens as of late, and a little Of Montreal. Other favourites include The Futureheads, Franz Ferdinand, Dylan, Beck, and folk rock troubador Donovan.

As far as game music goes, I love the Shenmue OST, and have listened to it on and off since its release. Panzer Dragoon Saga and Orta are probably right up with it, especially their respective main themes. I also like the classic stuff, Sonic of course, and the theme to Bionic Commando always brings good vibes.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Genres- I started to like progressive rock since a while ago, but I'll always have a soft spot for New Age, Eletronic, and some orchestra. And japanese pop/rock.

Bands- Legião Urbana, Queen, the Narada group, the late Mamonas Assassinas, Enya (shut up), among others.

VG Music- anything epic and/or catchy enough is good to me. Includes most of everything Capcom ever made, RPG battle musics, most Sonics, and a good deal of fighting games BGMs (just started to get Guilty Gear MP3s, with excellent results).

MegaKitsune

Post by MegaKitsune »

BTW...you probably all know about this, but since it's relevant I'll toss it out there anyway: gh.ffshrine.org is a GREAT place to get American and Japanese video game and anime OSTs for free... NO CATCH! 25% of my MP3 collection comes from this site, they have EVERYTHING.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I'M SORRY I DON'T LIKE TORI AMOS OR SARAH MCLACHLAN OR MEREDITH BROOKS OR WHOEVER HEADLINED LILITH FAIR A FEW YEARS BACK

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

My brother and I were pretty big into Weird Al back in the day, moreso than most of the musicians he spoofed. Every once in a while I hear a song playing somewhere and I think, "I know that song, but the lyrics don't sound right," and realize it's the original song that Al parodied. :P

Once I started driving I ended up listening to a lot of classic rock on the radio. From there, Queen, Van Halen, and Rush have risen to the top of my favorites list, but I've got a lot of love for just about everyone else under the genre. Soon after I started hearing about Reel Big Fish (actually, I think Esrever was one of the first people I heard talk about them), fell in love with them and now I consequently find myself dowsing my ears with ska/punk, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones especially.

I don't listen to a lot of game music, though when I do I find myself really enjoying it; the music CD included with the Dreamcast Grandia II is classic. I've tentatively dipped my fork into the anime soundtrack fondue and come back up with some good, though expected, morsels. The pillows are currently my favorite band, while the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks are pretty excellent.

Some other notables on my music shelf are Danko Jones, Cafe Tacuba, Dragonforce, Blues Traveler, and Blue Man Group.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Some of my essential albums:

Revolver by The Beatles
London Calling by The Clash
Get Happy!! by Elvis Costello & the Attractions
Ben Folds Five by Ben Folds Five
Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder
Pinkerton by Weezer
Abbey Road by The Beatles
Hollywood Dream by Thunderclap Newman
Room on Fire by The Strokes
The Love Below by OutKast
Whatever & Ever Amen by Ben Folds Five
Welcome Interstate Managers by Fountains of Wayne
Elephant by The White Stripes
The Very Best Of by Wilson Pickett
Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello & the Attractions
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine

Lately I've been listening to:

Marquee Moon by Television
Being There by Wilco
The Village Green Preservation Society by The Kinks
Hitsville USA: The Motown Singles Collection by Various Artists
Ben Kweller by Ben Kweller
A Ghost is Born by Wilco
On My Way by Ben Kweller

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I don't buy much music, but I like The Jam, Paul Weller, The Beautiful South, Dido, Queen, Oasis, Abba, The Beatles, Dido, Goldfrapp and a few others. The only radio station I listen to is Virgin, which has a very strong playlist. The only music channel I (occasionally) watch is VH1. I suck at remembering song titles and bands, so there are probably a few more that I like a lot. Gorillaz, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Coldplay, U2, Bon Jovi, yeah I like some of their stuff but I'd be hard pressed to name any of them with my terrible memory.

Cowboy Bebop has just about the best soundtrack for any TV series or film I've come accross. I love The Pillows' songs that were used for FLCL's soundtrack too and wish I could find some of their proper albums. For video games my favourites are probably NiGHTS and the Panzer Dragoon series.

Whilst we're discussing this I might as well ask, does anyone have MP3s of the opening and closing themes to Boogiepop Phantom (preferably full length)? They're not on the official soundtrack album.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Baba O'Reily wrote:I'M SORRY I DON'T LIKE TORI AMOS OR SARAH MCLACHLAN OR MEREDITH BROOKS OR WHOEVER HEADLINED LILITH FAIR A FEW YEARS BACK
THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LIKING ABBA YOU FAGGOT

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Serenity Now!

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Hey, has anyone ever picked up an album by the Pixies? Sawao Yamanaka lists them as one of the Pillows' major influences, but I've always been hesitant about alternative stuff. I realize that they also influenced a lot of indie rock bands like Nirvana, but I never really got into that genre.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I've listened to the Pixies. They're alright, I suppose, but they're nothing as great as what people claim them to be. I can see a connection between them and the Pillows, but not a very big one.

http://newscool.ru/music/Pixies-where_is_my_mind.mp3

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

If you absolutely have to pick up a Pixies album, just get their greatest hits collection. It's all you really need.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Pixies is great. I regret I didn't go to their only show in Brazil.

My fave bands are probably Metallica, the Who and the B-52's. And Karnak, but you probably never heard about it.

CE

Post by CE »

I don't listen to enough music. I listened to an insane amount of music in high-school, but I kinda fell out of it while at the Pen.

In the process of getting back into music, I've found OCRemix to be invaluable for getting good CDs for cheep as free. On my cross country trip, I listened almost exclusively to Relics of the Chozo. I guess it'd be categorized as "trance", though I just categorize it as "awesome".

Most bands have created at least one song I've enjoyed. Bands that can reliably create songs I like are: Bad Religion, Audioslave, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, and Elton John.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

it's all about frank zappa. funny lyrics, guitar solos in almost every song and I think they got a xylophone player in their group.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Some favorite Bands: Rush, The Who, Weird Al, Elton John (old Stuff), John Williams.

Sadly I do not have the best knowledge of how to classify Music,
But to give you a further idea I also like Video game soundtracks such as Sonic, Zelda:The Windwaker, and the Metroid Primes.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The Rasmus should do a Shadow the hedgehog song...it would rule!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I love the B52s!
Smooth Jazz compilation
I buy these whenever I want new music but don't really have anything in mind. Lately I've branched out into the albums of individual artists like Paul Hardcastle and occasionally more respectable jazz like Count Basie and Miles Davis (<i>Aura</i>, anyway). You'd almost think my taste was refining, but then you look at my winamp playlist which is predominantly Sonic remixes from VGM and OCR (at the moment it's the Bangaioh soundtrack, though).

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I'm pretty open to music, be it funk, ska, blues, jazz, rock or whatever other genre. Then again, it's part of my job as a music reviewer (and possibly editor next year) but I haven't seen many genres in particular that I hate with a passion, just certain artists.

And Arcade, pre-faux-gothic Rasmus is much better faux-goth Rasmus, "Swimming with the Kids" has to be one of their best tunes.

On a final note, I got a wah-pedal yesterday, and I'm loving it's sexual, sultry squeal.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Locit wrote:If you absolutely have to pick up a Pixies album, just get their greatest hits collection. It's all you really need.
Greatest Hits CDs are for children and housewives.

Rasmus is for sissies who are not man enough to handle Bauhaus.