This is a dumb request and I almost feel bad asking. . . .

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Sammybeany
*sniff*
Now Playing: Parcheesi

This is a dumb request and I almost feel bad asking. . . .

Post by Sammybeany »

I'm trying to figure out, with as much accuracy as possible, how tall/wide start markers/point markers/lampposts from the original Mega Drive games would be in real life. I roughly estimate they'd be about 7'x2' based on the fact that Eggman is meant to be about six feet, but I'd like to get something more precise than that. I tried to figure it out by comparing the pixel height of sprites, but I'm not satisfied with the results of that. Sonic and Eggman don't even seem to be the right sizes relative to each other, according to the measurements in the GHZ encyclopedia. (Speaking of which, where did those measurements come from, anyway?)

I don't know if anyone would have a better method of figuring this out, or better references than mere sprites, but I figure if anyone can help it's going to be someone here.

If it's any consolation, it's for something that you might kind-of sort-of find to be almost vaguely interesting (but not really!!)

Again, sorry for asking such a seemingly stupid question. This sounds almost obsessive and nerdy enough to land this post on Something Awful's weekend web. :sad:

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

This is probably the exact same thing you did but..

Sonic is supposedly 100cm tall (3.3 ft). Based off of Sonic's default standing sprite in Sonic 2, Sonic is 39 pixels tall. 100/39 is 2.564102.
Assuming that each pixel is 2.564102cm², the Point Marker (or Checkpoint/Lamppost/etc) in Sonic 2 is 41.025641cm wide (at the base and lightbulb), 164.102564cm high or
1.3459856 ft wide, 5.38394239 ft high.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

The heights and weights come from the Japanese (and U.S. in the case of Brady Game's Sonic Adventure) strategy guides and are backed up in Sonic X.

One problem you might be running into though is that Sonic was not always one meter (100cm) tall. In Sonic CD, Metal Sonic is stated to be 765.4mm tall. It doesn't make much sense that Metal Sonic is only three quarters of Sonic's height and given that their sprites are about the same size, it's a pretty safe bet that Sonic is about 76-77cm tall in the old games. That translates to roughly 30 inches.

Sammybeany
*sniff*

Post by Sammybeany »

Spazz: Yeah, that's kind of the issue I'm having. 5.4' tall can't possibly be right, because Eggman stands significantly shorter than the post, but he's obviously taller than 5.4' I agree with the 6' measurement for Eggman . . . basically, what it boils down to is using sprites is a pretty shite way of doing this, but I can't think of any other possible routes to take it.

Chris: Ahh, I see. That's cool, then. Thanks for clearing up where that stuff came from. Does the GHZ have a bibliography of some sort and I've just somehow failed to notice it over the years? If not, Green Gibbon! is a terrible thief and should be burned at the stake for stealing information and not citing his sources. What a cunt.

But, yeah. Thanks for the replies. Anyone else have some thoughts on the subject?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I think you are sad and will die alone.

Sammybeany
*sniff*

Post by Sammybeany »

Yes, but, you are sad and will die with thousands of people laughing at you!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Clever boy.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think this is a case of practicallity over technical accuracy--the important thing is that its height is such that the average person can easily reach out and bop the "bulb" part (causing it to spin around wildly) as he runs past when you display it in the hallway in the art department at your school. That IS your plan, right? I demand pictures of the finished product.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Character heights and other stats are also listed on sonic.sega.jp.

I hate citing info because it's too much trouble. It would turn it from a hobby into homework. SO.

The T

Post by The T »

What about in Sonic Adventure, since those ones start lower but rise when you past them, compare the height of those standing to Sonic?

Since I imagine Sonic's currently referenced height isn't the same height he's always been. Like, it only applies to 3D-era games.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Low quality shot of Sonic in the town stages, here you can see Sonic's height compared to that of an average man, and no he is not close to the camera, watch his and Sonic's shadow on the ground also watch the video if you would like to see more.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Please note that:

A) the person IS slightly closer to the camera, albeit not enough to make much of a difference;
B) Sonic's currently bending down; he's a bit taller in this game when he's standing.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Well I found a better quality version of the TGS Trailer that was taken from TGS it seems. The sound isn't that great though.
Under TGS 06 Extended Trailer HD

Thats as close as I can get it to the same place as the person Sonic is passing. The problem is that Sonic is still leaning forward.

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

I haven't played Sonic Jam, but aren't there 3D lamppost there? If so, that'd be your best bet to reference it from the oldschool.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Forza Johnman wrote:Well I found a better quality version of the TGS Trailer that was taken from TGS it seems. The sound isn't that great though.
Under TGS 06 Extended Trailer HD

Thats as close as I can get it to the same place as the person Sonic is passing. The problem is that Sonic is still leaning forward.
It still doesnt make sense, compare the foot size, either that or Elise is tiny...because on those shots of Sonic carrying Elise he is huge.

However in this pic.

and my edit

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

It's mainly that his head and hands are enormous, and in the scene where he's carrying Elise she's all folded up. I thought there was a size indescrepency there too but I think it's mainly just to Sonic's weird proportions, it tricks the eye.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The proportion makes no sense, there is no way Sonic can carry Elise in the shots above, however in the movie you see her fit into his arms.

Either Elise shrinks or Sonic grows.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Or... perhaps you're thinking too much about this.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Well, you have to admit, that's pretty poorly thought out.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

I don't know, but to me it just looks like Elise folds up quite nicely in Sonic's arms, like G. Silver said.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Yeah the scaling looks okay to me. She is about one-head shy of two Sonics tall in both pictures.

Of course if Sonic is still exactly one meter tall (39 inches) that makes Elise around 5'8".

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

New picture, I guess this clears everything? I hope.

and here's my edited pics.

Image Image

Sonic's size matches nicely, I guess Sonic's proportion is weird like someone said earlier.

Well, thats it folks! I guess Sonic aint a 5' 4" freak.

PS. Wow, Elise is one skinny girl.