Horizon Broadening

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
smiths32

Horizon Broadening

Post by smiths32 »

At the begining of the Summer I was able to secure a job (well, more of a scheme actually) with oil company Cogent. Quite handy since I'd just left school and wasn't fully sure of what exactly I was going to do with myself. The scheme involves a year and a half at college learning to work as some form of technician (instrument technician in my case) and two years afterewards on an oil rig or some sort of plant working as an apprentice. So, two weeks ago I heard that I would be attending college in Edinburgh (Scotland's capital), which will be quite a step up from where I currently live, and my first step into the big, bad world.

Anyway I posted this because I was wondering if anybody in the GHZ is going on to further education, places of work or simply doing something different with their lives this year as no one has said yet.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I am attempting to move out of my house which is a brave new world for me, but also a necessity. My parents drive me crazy and I need to gay it up and they don't know about the whole gay thing yet, so.

I still don't really know what I want to do with my schooling. I think next semester I'm going to start on getting certified in web page design. What I really want to do is write all day, but only a few lucky people are able to actually live off that.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I've already moved out as of LAST Sunday into the wide, harsh world we call "college". It's not that bad. Food's good, although the lines aren't.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I'm a junior double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. Last semester and this summer I interned at an engineering firm that designs and makes electrical control panels and engineers packaging line automation.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Don't hide the truth, Bo. By 2010 you'll have taken over the world. We know you have a plan.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Mechanical is superior.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

While I haven't still truly decided whether I wish to go to college or not, I am currently job hunting though, looking for a place that will hire me full time at the moment.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

I've been desperately seeking a dead-end job since January, and finally have an interview. I just need an income, and then...

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I got a job as Lead Artist on Team Ico's next game.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

To the surprise of no one, I'm planning on going to Berklee School of Music in Boston. Of course, that's a few years from now, so things may change...

CE

Post by CE »

Dude, I graduated DigiPen two years ago.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Baba O'Reily wrote:To the surprise of no one, I'm planning on going to Berklee School of Music in Boston. Of course, that's a few years from now, so things may change...
Seriously? Can I harass you?

On a similar note, I might be headed down to Virginia Beach this May, with my [marching] band.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I'm stuck at home now, and just working in a kitchen.
As soon as I get my own place (probably next year) I'll buy myself some drums and a bass and get back onto the mk music scene sometime.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I graduated last year with a 2 year degree and have since been working as a programmer for a medical software company. The company was apparently founded by hippies; most of the time I access this forum is from work and they're totally cool with it. Somewhere within the next few years I'm going to hike the Appalachian Trail, depending on when my friend graduates.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I'm beginning my third year at BGSU in Ohio majoring in social studies education (I don't actually want to teach but I figure it's a good back-up degree).

I've been living on my own since I began adult education, but it didn't really count the previous two years since I was in the dorms. This year I'm living in an apartment with a few friends, aptly monikered Crunk Manor (hollerback at me, girl).

More importantly, I'm directing a long-form improvisation troupe on campus this year (of which I was a performer with last year), I'll be performing other long-form improv in Toledo (and this is paid!) as part of a dinner theatre ensemble, and I regularly stand up and do comedy at the open mic's in the area, which is a blast.

Not to mention I'm still DJ'ing at the Classic Rock station in Toledo every weekend. I have my own show there now, I'm no longer just producing other people's; I don't know if I ever mentioned that before.

However, I'm most excited about a sketch comedy podcast that I will be producing along with my roommates and a few other trusted creative friends (the first few episodes of which are currently in production), and when enough product is finished to start putting them online, I'll probably be an ass and alert you all (much to the chagrin of the "new rules").

That's what I'm up to outside of the internet.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I have a 9-5, Monday-Friday office job. The pay's not too good, but I've just finished with college, so it's a start.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Taking another year off after graduating high school last year. While I plan on attending a cartooning school in Vermont next year, I'm in no hurry to leave the warm and comfortable womb of my parents' house. I'm probably going to go to Japan in December to see family and hopefully pick up on the language.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

To be brutally honest, all I do with my time is smoke weed and play Smash Bros. Oh, and I got into the second year of my E-Media course, so I'll be doing cool stuff like environment and character designing, building and mo-cap animation. That is, I will be if I can find the time in my busy schedule of smoking weed and playing Smash Bros.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I envy your life sometimes j-man. Anyway, at least I can use my cullinary skills to woo the fairer of the species, if only I could find them.

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

I'm Bo's enforcer.

It took a long time, as I had to kill the other guys applying for the job one after another. But once he takes over the world it'll be all worth it, as I'll be in a perfect position to topple this th-I mean serve him a long, long time.

And pancakes.

aso

Post by aso »

Currently at college, aiming for a Major in Psych (minor in English). In fact, I should be finishing a critique template as I type this. Fuck.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I currently have an incredibly good chance of being a Music Journalist for a local website.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Cool.

Exactely tommorow it'll be the launch of my old school's official magazine, which I designed and illustrated along with my former physics teacher.

Besides that I'm studying Design and freelancing. Still in my parents' confortable house and not plannig to go any far from here.

I just have to stop playing Shadow of the Colossus and do my damn portfolio.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Amazing Grant wrote:More importantly, I'm directing a long-form improvisation troupe on campus this year (of which I was a performer with last year), I'll be performing other long-form improv in Toledo (and this is paid!) as part of a dinner theatre ensemble, and I regularly stand up and do comedy at the open mic's in the area, which is a blast.
Improv freakin' rules. You gotta tape it and show us someday Grant.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Baba O'Reily wrote:To the surprise of no one, I'm planning on going to Berklee School of Music in Boston. Of course, that's a few years from now, so things may change...
Which is where I currently go, in hopes that upon graduation in 2008, I can get a job/series of commissions composing video game music.