Hunting for SH_VOICE_J.afs

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Hunting for SH_VOICE_J.afs

Post by Shadow Hog »

I recently decided to pick up <i>Heroes</i> on the PC for a fiver. Seemed a fair price, considering how awkward the game is overall. Thing runs just fine, despite having a very retarded way of going about the frame rate (you have to actually CHOOSE what frame rate your computer runs the game at, and mismatching it can cause a lot of slowdown) and unconfigurable controls (well, unless you have a gamepad, but I do, so there). You probably already knew about some of that, though.

But anyway, it's become very much apparent that you can't change the language being spoken. Seems pretty dumb, personally, given that there's <i>really</i> no reason for it to not do so. So, I decide to go do a little searching and file-swapping so that the game THINKS it's using the English voices (SH_VOICE_E.afs, as you can probably surmise) when it really isn't... except the file that is supposed to be there isn't. At all. This makes no sense, too, when you consider <i>they had two friggin' CDs to hold the game on</i>. More than ample space.

So anyway, apparently the file I'm looking for exists in the Xbox version of <i>Heroes</i>, and might even be on the PS2 version, I dunno. What I'd like to know is, do the CDs of either console let you view the files on the CD if you just plop them into the disk drive, or would there be a much more complex and arguably aggravating method of getting such files? I mean, finding this file really isn't THAT high a priority, but I'd sure like to not have to hear Tails' voice grating at me all the time. Heck, maybe it's in the Japanese PC version, although that'd take a long time to download given that it'd be a torrent, or even just find a torrent for PERIOD. I'm sure there are more technical places I could ask this, but most of them are technical to the extent that you'd have to be a ROM hacker to be there for much more than a passing glance.

Oh, and other than that, the Xbox 360 controller just doesn't work well with <i>SADX</i> (now <b>that</b> I pirated, arr). Virtually no deadzone + camera controlled by right thumbstick = constantly moving camera, which means infinite first-person with one camera and endless <i>Matrix</i>-style pans with the other. This would be a lot easier to handle if Microsoft included any tweaking tools with the drivers CD... and the next best thing costs $20. I know there's no such thing as a free lunch, but that's utterly ridiculous.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

As I recall, Xbox DVDs are not easily readable on standard PC DVD-ROMs, but PS2 DVDs are.

Tweaker

Post by Tweaker »

I have the PS2 version, I can go about ripping it for you if you'd like. I'll just have to hop on my other machine with a DVD reader, and you'll be good to go. I can't imagine it being too large, so it won't be a problem.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Sounds faster than a torrent and cheaper than a rental... sure, I'd appreciate that. At the very least, we can see what happens; it'd probably just be Japanese voices, but who knows, it might crash or play the wrong sounds or something.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I had a patch with the japanese voices. Some torrent I found when s0nicfreak still worked. Must be on a cd somewhere, just have to find it...

Dache

Re: Hunting for SH_VOICE_J.afs

Post by Dache »

Shadow Hog wrote:Oh, and other than that, the Xbox 360 controller just doesn't work well with <i>SADX</i> (now <b>that</b> I pirated, arr). Virtually no deadzone + camera controlled by right thumbstick = constantly moving camera, which means infinite first-person with one camera and endless <i>Matrix</i>-style pans with the other. This would be a lot easier to handle if Microsoft included any tweaking tools with the drivers CD... and the next best thing costs $20. I know there's no such thing as a free lunch, but that's utterly ridiculous.
http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/
Xbcd drivers have significant power over the default Microsoft ones. The most important is the Deadzone control.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Also, if you replace sh_voice_j.afs, the cutscenes will still be in english. You also need the video files for those, too.