Game list for Genesis Collection

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Game list for Genesis Collection

Post by Locit »

This actually appears to be a decent collection. It seems like most of the top tier series on the Genesis all get a nod, though they've admittedly left out the later Sonic games. They sort of make a leap in the Sonic 2 description talking about the Death Egg, but otherwise it's a pretty competent preview. I'm pretty excited to get a chance to play the Phantasy Star series since I never got the chance back in the Genesis' glory days.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

No Streets of Rage? Damn.

Dash

Post by Dash »

The creator interviews are something I wasn't expecting. Good show Sega, now just try to do it right. Here's hoping for some concept art and stuff*fingercross*

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

There's a mistake on that list. Eternal Champions is not in the collection. Also i think there's another game between Golden Axe and Phantasy Star.

Also, there's gonna be a few arcade games from the early 80s, which are quite amusing. There'll also be trailers for upcoming games, and interviews with the developers of some of the games on the collection.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

This is a spectacularly generous package.

CE

Post by CE »

Where are the Treasure games? I want my Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier!!!

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Dynamite Headdy too. As a matter of fact, what happened to that "Treasure Box" collection thing? Is it not going to be released outside of Japan or no? SEGA and Treasure should make deal, put what they have in Treasure Box, put it in this new collection, and there, a localized Treasure Box.

I also wonder if there is going to be a region option in this collection ala Sonic Mega Collection's Sonic 1. It hardly makes a difference, but I don't really like my Ristar characters angry-eyed if you know what I mean.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The Treasure Box is probably the reason we aren't seeing any Treasure games on here (though Light Crusader remains homeless!), and Sonic Gems could be the same reason we aren't seeing any Streets of Rage (but we do get Vectorman?). Where's Toe Jam & Earl?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I seriously hope they don't screw up the emulation on this collection like those DC Sega Smash Packs.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Ngangbius wrote:I seriously hope they don't screw up the emulation on this collection like those DC Sega Smash Packs.
I'll make sure of it. The only games i'm really concerned about are the RPGs. We'll do our best though, the number of problems with the management of this is shocking. I'll give a full story on this when the game is released.

Also, the game the list was missing is Kid Chameleon.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Not alot of people know it, but Decap Attack is actually an altered version of Magical Hat, a Japanese game based on a late 80's comic/anime. The difficulty was levelled out in the localization so Decap Attack is actually much easier than Magical Hat.

I might die of intelligence.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

That's not intelligence, that's trivial knowledge that will likely prove completely useless over the course of your lifetime.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Don't be jealous, now.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

And both these games come from the earlier Master System game Psycho Fox and the NES game Kid Kool and the Quest for the Seven Wonder Herbs.

That's Wikipedia.

Tweaker

Post by Tweaker »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Not alot of people know it, but Decap Attack is actually an altered version of Magical Hat, a Japanese game based on a late 80's comic/anime. The difficulty was levelled out in the localization so Decap Attack is actually much easier than Magical Hat.

Reminds me of how Super Mario Bros. 2 was built off an obscure japanese game called Doki Doki Panic. I suppose you can slap the Mario name on anything these days.

On the subject of Genesis Collection though, the main point of interest for me is the wireless multiplayers support (which is also online if I'm not mistaken). The emulator should hopefully be decent as well, though chances are the sound emulation will be sub-par once more, possibly on the level of Sega Smash Pack for Dreamcast.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I remember reading the Decap Attack stories in the UK Sonic the Comic, which I recall were actually pretty good. Funny thing is I never even knew it was actually a game until reading this thread.

I'd be pretty excited about this collection if it had Streets of Rage but well yeah, there's no way they'd ever make something that completely satisfied people.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

And both these games come from the earlier Master System game Psycho Fox and the NES game Kid Kool and the Quest for the Seven Wonder Herbs.
Kakefu-kun no Jump Tengoku, or "Kakefu's Jump Heaven". All 3 games came out at within a couple years of each other, so surely some of the same people must've been involved in all 3. They all suck.

Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos Chao »

What are the games? my fucking browser won't open it

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Chaos Chao wrote:What are the games? my fucking browser won't open it
Alex Kidd — The Enchanted Castle Originally Released: 1989
So what's the deal?
While the graphics were totally on the kiddie side, Alex Kidd offered some terrific platforming gameplay. It was essentially Sega's answer to Mario before the far cooler Sonic was conjured up. The best part? The Rock/Paper/Scissors mini games found throughout.
Altered Beast Originally Released: 1989
So what's the deal?
A near perfect port of the arcade game, Altered Beast has you transforming into various animal forms -- from a wolf to a bear -- in order to fight enemies in strange worlds. It's super short, but great while it lasts. Plus, anyone who's played it will never forget this line: "Rise from your grave!"
Bonanza Bros Originally Released: 1991
So what's the deal?
This game, based around the concept of looting from corrupt businesses, is one of Sega's lesser known classics. The objective is to collect all of the items of value on your radar and to to get out before you get caught by the police, SWAT, or guard dogs. It's rather simple in terms of visuals and gameplay but still highly addictive.
Columns Originally Released: 1990
So what's the deal?
At one point, this was somehow considered Sega's answer to Tetris, though it's pretty evident now that it's not. The basic idea is to match same colored gems to clear your screen against a backdrop of ancient Greece. It's a rather simplistic puzzler in every sense, though I suppose it's still good for an occasional play.
Comix Zone Originally Released: 1995
So what's the deal?
This one was quite inventive. The concept is that you, as Sketch Turner, the creator of the hit comic book Comix Zone, are magically transported into the pages of your comic book by the supervillian Mortus. Featuring great visuals with large comic book sprites and solid beat-em-up gameplay, this is a game that's actually still begging for a sequel.
Decap Attack Originally Released: 1991
So what's the deal?
A pretty unique platformer, Decap Attack placed you in the role of Chuck D. Head (ha ha), a Frankenstein of sorts with the ability to chuck his head at enemies. Featuring a unique Halloween visual style, fun gameplay, catchy tunes, and an overall humorous vibe, this is one of the more original games in the package.
Ecco the Dolphin Originally Released: 1992
So what's the deal?
At the time, Ecco was a pretty bold move of Sega. As platformers with furry mascots and fighting games were all the rage, Sega came out with this game in which you guided a dolphin through the ocean, completing tasks and navigating unsafe waters. It looked stunning at the time, and the underwater adventure gameplay was (and still is) pretty unique.
Ecco: The Tides of Time Originally Released: 1994
So what's the deal?
A perfectly solid sequel, Ecco: The Tides of Time did little to actually improve on the original (Sega threw in some 3D scrolling levels, but that's about it) but it did offer fans more of what they wanted. Instead of explaining history, as the original game did, Tides of Time took a look toward the future.
Ecco Jr. Originally Released: 1995
So what's the deal?
From what I gather, this is Ecco the Dolphin for kids. Never played it.
Eternal Champions Originally Released: 1993
So what's the deal?
A 2D fighting game from back before everyone came to their senses and realized the importance of things like "balance" or "characters that don't suck," Eternal Champions was Sega's answer to Street Fighter II. It's competent -- there's a good deal of techniques to learn -- but I can't imagine spending all that much time on it.
Flicky Originally Released: 1991
So what's the deal?
A simple arcadey style game, Flicky has you taking control of a blue bird named Flicky who has to save baby chicks who've been kidnapped. Basically, you rescue them by walking to them and then guiding them to an elevator to escape. It's all pretty silly stuff, and the difficulty is damn tough, but for a short diversion it hits the spot.
Gain Ground Originally Released: 1991
So what's the deal?
A title that never really got the attention it deserved, Gain Ground doesn't quite impress in the visuals department but features some terrific action/strategy gameplay (especially with two players). You start with three characters with crossbows and eventually gain weapons like lasers and bazookas.
Golden Axe Originally Released: 1989
So what's the deal?
One of the original near-perfect arcade ports for the Genesis, Golden Axe had you taking control of an axe wielding dwarf, Gilius Thunderhead, a broadsword wielding barbarian, Ax Battler, or a sword wielding female amazon, Tyris Flare, as you fought your way through levels to defeat the evil Death Adder.
Golden Axe II Originally Released: 1991
So what's the deal?
Our heroes returned for a new battle, this time against the forces of the evil villain Dark Guld. The game featured a slightly improved graphics engine, far better magic effects, and was far longer (it wasn't an arcade port, which is why), though it lacked some of the polish of the original.
Golden Axe III Originally Released: 1993 (Japan)
So what's the deal?
This third Golden Axe installment was never released in the U.S., and for good reason: it really wasn't up to par with the prior two. Still, for Golden Axe fans that never got to play it, it's definitely worth a try. While the graphics took a small step back, the addition of two new characters and branching paths were pretty welcome.
Phantasy Star II Originally Released: 1989
So what's the deal?
The Phantasy Star series was Sega's answer to Final Fantasy -- and was regarded by many as the superior franchise. Phantasy Star II was a true sequel to the original game and expanded upon many of the elements that made it so popular, including turn-based battles and character jobs. Plus, it featured a bleak storyline (uncommon at the time).
Phantasy Star III Originally Released: 1992
So what's the deal?
Phantasy Star's third installment was somewhat of a departure for the series, with more realistic art (as opposed to the anime-inspired style of the others), less character development, and a weak battle system, but some found it rather unique. The world's medieval setting at onset is soon found to be not what it seems.
Phantasy Star IV Originally Released: 1994
So what's the deal?
Arguably the best in the series, Phantasy Star IV was massive in scope, including a lengthy story of interplanetary travel and incredibly detailed graphics. When it originally released, the game cost $95 -- so as part of this package is quite a deal! This was a true fitting end to the Phantasy Star series (at least, in terms of the original canon).
Ristar Originally Released: 1995
So what's the deal?
Previously released as an unlockable in Sonic Mega Collection, Ristar was similar to Sonic the Hedgehog (it was released from Sonic Team), but featured the unique gameplay of being able to use your hands and stretchy arms to grab onto objects to manipulate either you or them. It's a great little gem of a platformer.
Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi Originally Released: 1991
So what's the deal?
Originally released in arcades, Shadow Dancer was a slight departure for the Shinobi series. Starring Joe Musashi's son and featuring a sidekick dog named Yamato, the game had you fighting the terrorist group Asian Dawn who had placed bombs all over the city. It's the worst of the Genesis Shinobi games, but it's still a solid action title.
Shinobi III Originally Released: 1993
So what's the deal?
The true sequel to Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi III is regarded by some as the best in the series. With faster action, varied gameplay, and some of the best graphics on the Genesis, Shinobi III basically took everything people loved about Revenge to the next level. New techniques, such as a running slash and the ability to scale walls, added depth.
Sonic The Hedgehog Originally Released: 1991
So what's the deal?
Likely one of the most influential games of all time, Sonic added the element of speed to the platform game. You'd race to prevent Dr. Robotnik from collecting all of the Chaos Emeralds and enslaving your animal friends. The original still holds up nicely today, with some great level design, vibrant graphics, and catchy tunes.
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Originally Released: 1992
So what's the deal?
Still the favorite of many hardcore Sonic fans, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 introduced the spin dash and Sonic's buddy Tails as a playable character. This time Dr. Robotnik captured all of the animals (once again) to fuel his Death Egg. There was also a split screen versus mode where two players could race through stages against each other.
Super Thunderblade Originally Released: 1989
So what's the deal?
A terrific arcade translation, Super Thunderblade showed off what the Genesis could do at the time. Featuring impressive scaling effects (all accomplished through software), the game had you flying through different settings (city, naval base, power plant, etc.) as you avoided scenery and blasted enemies with guns and missiles.
Sword of Vermillion Originally Released: 1990
So what's the deal?
Featuring first person world exploration and real time battles, Sword of Vermillion likely sounds better than it really is -- it's a tad clunky all around. But what it lacks in gameplay it makes up for in music, and it's worth playing the game for the soundtrack alone. While it may not be the best RPG of the time, Vermillion has its own unique charm.
Vectorman Originally Released: 1995
So what's the deal?
Released near the end of the Genesis' lifecycle, Vectorman was a shining example of what could still be done on the Genesis hardware at the time. Featuring rendered visuals (this was right after Donkey Kong Country came out), Vectorman was set in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by evil where you had to blast all enemies in sight.
Vectorman 2 Originally Released: 1996
So what's the deal?
A terrific follow-up to the original that many gamers missed (thanks to the next generation of consoles already being on the scene), Vectorman 2 featured even more polished graphics, a harder difficulty, and better sound and music. It's basically just a lot more of what made the original so good.
Virtua Fighter 2 Originally Released: 1996
So what's the deal?
This is an interesting inclusion in the collection, as it's not really one of the Genesis' finest moments. It's a competent port of the arcade/Saturn game, sure, but it's a game that was never designed to be on a 16-bit console. Consider it mainly here for novelty's sake -- there's really no reason to seriously play this fighter with everything else available.

Three unlockable games will also be available in the PS2 version only: Zaxxon, Tac/Scan, and Zektor. Look for Sega Genesis Collection to hit stores this fall.

"Alex kidd in Miracle world" beats the crap out of "Alex Kidd — The Enchanted Castle" and its two years older!

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Not alot of people know it, but Decap Attack is actually an altered version of Magical Hat, a Japanese game based on a late 80's comic/anime. The difficulty was levelled out in the localization so Decap Attack is actually much easier than Magical Hat.

Yeah, Magical Hat was released on the states as Psycho Fox. But later, it was re-released on Brazil as "Sapo Xulé Contra os Invasores do Brejo" (something like Stinky Frog vs. The Swamp Invaders), where you'd control a frog and other animals based on a early 90's toy (which was actually a stinking frog).

I might die of useless information.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, Magical Hat was released on the states as Psycho Fox.
Wait, was it? I can't find Magical Hat listed on <a href="http://sega.jp/community/segahard/maste ... ml">Sega's release list</a>. I don't see Psycho Fox either, though, so I had assumed that one was only released in the West (though the art is obviously Japanese).

Apparently all 3 games are from Vic Tokai.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Opa-Opa wrote: Yeah, Magical Hat was released on the states as Psycho Fox. But later, it was re-released on Brazil as "Sapo Xulé Contra os Invasores do Brejo" (something like Stinky Frog vs. The Swamp Invaders), where you'd control a frog and other animals based on a early 90's toy (which was actually a stinking frog).

I might die of useless information.
Hein? That thing had a game?!
This seems almost as weird as a brazilian group making a game based on a Walter Lantz character (wich they did). Also, I think there was another Master System game (some action-RPG) that was released in Brazil, but using Monica's Gang characters (Turma da Mônica no Castelo do Dragão or whatever it was).

Strangely, useless information never did me any harm.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Also, I think there was another Master System game (some action-RPG) that was released in Brazil, but using Monica's Gang characters (Turma da Mônica no Castelo do Dragão or whatever it was).
Think that would be Wonderboy in Monster Land.