David the Gnome is coming to DVD

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
cjmcray

David the Gnome is coming to DVD

Post by cjmcray »

Order Here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... e&n=283926

I loveded this show as a kid.

LOVEDED, i tell you.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I didn't know what the David the Gnome was when I clicked on this thread but that image rings bell. Rode foxes and that, didn't he?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I remember a gnome show from my childhood. I assume this to be it. I think I enjoyed it, and there may have been foxes. I daresay the gnome was on speaking terms with them, and I may or may not have been completely enchanted by its whimsey.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

It was one of those early afternoon Nickelodeon kid's shows. The fox's name was Swift, and the main antagonists were trolls. That's about all I remember. I didn't even know the show's name. I liked the theme song, though I can't remember that either.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Well, it isn't Eureka's Castle, but I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

Also, Dudley the Dragon for the win, am I right?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

As seen on channel four? That makes no sense in the US. Does the UK have one channel four nationwide?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Light Speed wrote:As seen on channel four? That makes no sense in the US. Does the UK have one channel four nationwide?
Yeah, we have five terrestial, free television channels. There are all sorts of other cable/digital channels that are either free or paid for, but before people got satellite we've had those terrestial channels beamed to us. They still constitute the meat and potatoes of British television programming. Channel 4 is one of those channels.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well we have the local channels like NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS, but what channel they actually are vary from region to region. Like Fox for instance is 5 where I am right now in the east coast near Washington D.C. area, but where I live in Utah, it is 13. Also it has its own news and what not, but plays certain shows nationwide at the same time like the Simpsons every Sunday at 8.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

You'd think they could get more interesting names than "Channel #".

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I used to watch this show but it was actually more of a late morning kind of Nickelodeon thing. The complete title was the World of David the Gnome, and I rather liked it, though it was mainly a "I am so bored" kind of thing more than any particular quality that I especially enjoyed. A specific episode that always stood out in my mind is the one where David rides a crow into a human city and releases a bunch of birds from a pet store, and there's something preachy (the show usually managed to stay clear of that sort of theme) about how animals (or at least exotic and possibly illegal birds) shouldn't be kept in cages by humans, like those gnomes are better than us or something, what with their pointy hats and nosey kisses. But the thing was, he was releasing exotic birds into a foreign environment where it may in fact have been snowing, so I was all like "David, you have killed all those poor birds..."

Anyway.

Years later I found that there is a book based on or perhaps the show was based on that, and it's sort of a weirdo book about gnome "facts" for people who are all pepped up about gnomes, sort of like that Flight of Dragons book that has an interesting old cartoon (which I would like to be available on DVD please) that is based on its so-called (though well deduced, I thought) "dragon facts." It was then that I realized that there was probably some furry-like community obsessed with gnomes (I didn't find out about garden gnomes--or furries, for that matter--until later) and although I still remember it fondly, this may have lowered my opinion of the show slightly.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I vaguely remember watching this show in the mornings before pre-school started, but I don't remember any specific happenings in any episodes, just that there was a show about an old looking gnome. My parents, however, remember it vividly, and say I used to be an enthusiastic fan of it. They also say I used to be an expert on Sesame Street, but I have no recollection of that show at all. They also say that when I was very young I promised to become a doctor and give them all my money, so I take their proclamations with a grain of salt...

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I remember watching that show when I was like...five years old? I can't remember much. The only scene I remembered was David healing a bunch of animals with the medicine he was gonna use on his way over to...someone's house.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I have never, ever heard of that show. I seriously thought you guys were joking or something. At first, I even figured the childish naivete of the cover was concealing an ironically adult-orientated late-night smut show.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I remember this cartoon, but only just.
Lived in an enchted forst or something like that, thwarting those who mistreated nature or something.
But why give the wee-little bastard a boring name though?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I remember it, but not too well. I always ended up watching it even though I couldn't stand it, which is what happened with most of those old Nick cartoons like Maya the Bee.

It's a European cartoon, isn't it?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

sort of like that Flight of Dragons book that has an interesting old cartoon (which I would like to be available on DVD please) that is based on its so-called (though well deduced, I thought) "dragon facts."
While the Flight of Dragons drew its name and dragon physiology from a book from the same name, the characters and plot were a Tolkienized, dumbed down version of Gordon R. Dickinson's Dragon Knight series - which was an excellent fantasy series about a college graduate who finds himself living as a student magician in a medieval world. The best thing about the book series is that it was merticulously researched, and featured an un-glorified and realistic view of life in the middle ages (lice, disease, uncleanliness, poverty, and all) except for well, there were magicians, dragons, and wolves could talk.

The books are much more interesting than the movie, which had a bunch of strange and generic fantasy stuff added to it - like a magical bubble and elves and such. It was interesting seeing a modern, intelligent man having to deal with living in a world full of bravery to the point of insanity, savage violence, lacking any medicine, science, or open-mindness.

Also, the dragons couldn't breathe fire. They were basically just giant flying reptiles the size of large horses.

Um so yeah, instead of being another generic Tolkien-esque fantasy story, it actually pokes fun at those stories by showing how much life actually sucked and smelled back then.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Ritz wrote:Well, it isn't Eureka's Castle, but I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

Also, Dudley the Dragon for the win, am I right?
DONT YOU DARE SAY ANYTHIBNG WRONG ABOUT Eureka's Castle!!!

The show was cool when I was five or six years old, sure I’m not interested on it anymore, but please don’t insult kids shows that where good.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

He was saying that this show wasn't as good as Eureka's Castle. You know, putting said show in a positive light.

Way to read.