Sonic 3 Level Selection Screen

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
brad9753

Sonic 3 Level Selection Screen

Post by brad9753 »

Hi, i have just started playing my old megadrive games, and found some cheats for sonic 3. i understand that it is one of the hardest video game screens to reach, and thats quite an achivment.
I followed the instructions on this site, tried it over and over again, and it didnt once work.
The instructions are: When the Sega logo comes up, just after the "Sega" theme is chanted and the screen begins to turn black, quickly press: Up, Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up to the beat of the drums. It's tricky, but you should hear a Ring chime if you've done it correctly.
Has anyone ever got to this screen, and any suggestions?

(...)

Post by (...) »

Has anyone ever got to this screen, and any suggestions?
Yep. It looks exactly like the Sonic 2 level select, but with the Sonic and Kunckles levels selectable.

brad9753

Post by brad9753 »

how did you get to it, do you find it easy, what exacly did you do? (timings etc)

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Just keep resetting and trying over again. It can take a ridiculous amount of attempts before you finally get it.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

No shit; Tips & Tricks said that for the GameCube version of Mega Collection, it took them over 50 tries to get it to work using the D-Pad. Those folks are pretty hardcore at what they do, which makes it even more staggering. But "to the beat of the drums"? I thought all that mattered was pulling it off before the screen whites out?

I think i've only accessed that menu a handful of times in my life. That's more than what I can say for the secret Special Stage, though, which i'm confident is impossible for me.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Same here, I got it to work once or twice but it seems to be more efficient just to play through the game normally.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I remember it being tough back on the Mega Drive version, which I haven't played in years. In Sonic Jam though, I found that waiting until the title screen and pressing Up-Up, Down-Down, Up-Up, Up-Up (two quick taps at a time) works. I'm not sure if this was a refinement for Jam or not. The Sonic 3 level select is a mess. I'm pretty sure that in Jam they at least removed all of the Sonic 2 level icons (and just kept the DJ Sonic).

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I only ever pulled it off in the Genny version and maybe Sonic Jam. I had it pretty well down pat on the Genny, but I haven't been able to pull it off on anything since then, not even emulators.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

In Sonic Jam, you can pretty much take huge liberties with the button presses for the Sonic 3 Level Select. I guess they nerfed it as a special treat.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Maybe I'm off my rocker, but didn't the Sonic 3 Level Select involve Left-Left-Left-Up-Up-Up-Right-Right-Right on the first vine in Angel Island?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

What?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

That's the Sonic 3 & Knuckles level select.

brad9753

Post by brad9753 »

but why did they make it so difficult anyone know?

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

If I had to venture a guess, maybe because accessing a menu that lets you visit any part of the game you want out of its intended sequence is supposed to be hard? I mean, really, nobody even does it anymore. Like G.Silver said, it's less of a headache to just play through the game, which I'm willing to bet was their intent.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Image Up

Image Up

Image Down

Image Down

Image Up

Image Up

Image Up

Image Up

Image *bling*

That seems to be how it works. Timing button presses to frames of animation is what makes it so hard.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

DackAttac wrote:If I had to venture a guess, maybe because accessing a menu that lets you visit any part of the game you want out of its intended sequence is supposed to be hard?
They're supposed to be development tools, but Naka said once that they left the codes in the game on purpose so people could find them and mess around. Hard to say why it's hidden so well in Sonic 3 or if it was like that to begin with...i'd assume it might've had something to do with their decision to split the game.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I don't think I've ever gotten it to work on Genesis. If I ever want to access it, I use a Game Genie code that opens it without you having to enter the code.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I only ever used the level select code to play with debug mode. It's fun screwing around in the zones and coming out of them. One time I even managed to rise the water level of Ice Cap Zone Act 2 to the top of the zone.

I always remebered to keep away from using debug when on the Carnival Night drums...on the Genesis, doing that froze your game. It doesn't happen in Sonic Mega Collection, though.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Ah, the ol' Sonic 3 cheat, I just found it easiest to rapidly press the buttons as soon as the Sonic starts running up to the screen. It's easiest with the old pads as the buttons were less spongey to press, I alays used them for the game.
As for the difficulty, I have no idea why you guys find it so hard, I never had trouble with it.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

It wasn't hard...just frustrating. I got it to work on Genesis several times, but only ONCE in Mega Collection.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Probably the pad then, I've only tried it on a Megadrive so I know that I can do it using that pad.
Which version of Mega Collection were you using?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

It's easier to just do the Sonic 2 level select, pull out the Sonic 2 cart, stick in the Sonic 3 cart and reset the Genesis.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Omni Hunter wrote:Probably the pad then, I've only tried it on a Megadrive so I know that I can do it using that pad.
Which version of Mega Collection were you using?
The Gamecube one, using the Gamecube controller.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

No wonder. That D-Pad is terrible.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Actually, I just remembered the most crap Sonic cheat ever.
I think it was for Sonic (Not-so) 3d, where you had to wiggle the cartidge physically while it was loading.

It worked, but the method is questionable.

I agree with Double-S though, the GC d-pad is small and raised a bit too much which makes it difficult. The Megadrive's is a bit larger and is only slightly raised if at all.