Sonic 3 Level Selection Screen

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Neo

Post by Neo »

Actually, the correct way to enter the level select in Sonic 3D is by pressing B, A, Right, A, C, Up, Down, A (BARACUDA) at the title screen. However, for some reason, the programmers decided to also make it pop up when an exception occurs that would generally, in most games, have the console reset. So, there are a variety of ways to trigger it: nudging the cart, pulling out control pads, etc.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I remember once accidentally accessing the Saturn 3D Blast stage select completely by accident. I had no idea what I had done, but I got to see the end of the game without all the hassle of playing most of it.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

chriscaffee wrote:It's easier to just do the Sonic 2 level select, pull out the Sonic 2 cart, stick in the Sonic 3 cart and reset the Genesis.
About the 9th or 10th time I did that trick, it quit working. That was years ago, and it never has since. I haven't the faintest idea why.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yeah, that had to have been the easiest level select ever. I mean, just hold C+Start at the title screen, with no indication anything happened? It's about as easy to stumble upon as tilting the cartridge.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Neo Chaotikal wrote:Actually, the correct way to enter the level select in Sonic 3D is by pressing B, A, Right, A, C, Up, Down, A (BARACUDA) at the title screen.
Ooh.

I fail to see the point of all of these absurd methods of accessing level select. One would think that they could come up with a consistant code along the lines of Konami.

muke

Post by muke »

DackAttac wrote:Maybe I'm off my rocker, but didn't the Sonic 3 Level Select involve Left-Left-Left-Up-Up-Up-Right-Right-Right on the first vine in Angel Island?
Sorry to resurrect such an old topic, but I used this code (which is actually Left x3, Right x3, then Up x3, press start then hold A to go back to title screen, then select character by holding A + Start) in S+K (not attached to anything) while hanging off one of the lifting devices in Mushroom Hill Zone and because of this I was able to play as Knuckles, glitch free, in Death Egg. The only problem is that you can't beat the Act 1 boss because you can't jump high enough to reach it.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

The cheats involve using the code whilst "hanging" in the first levels, like Mushroom Hill and Angel Island.
It's possible that it's possible in any level but bearing in mind that people would most likely use the cheat on the first level, it's only those levels that are known.

I'll scope it out later.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I only was able to successfully do the code ONCE on the Genesis, when i was like, 9.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

muke wrote:
DackAttac wrote:Maybe I'm off my rocker, but didn't the Sonic 3 Level Select involve Left-Left-Left-Up-Up-Up-Right-Right-Right on the first vine in Angel Island?
Sorry to resurrect such an old topic, but I used this code (which is actually Left x3, Right x3, then Up x3, press start then hold A to go back to title screen, then select character by holding A + Start) in S+K (not attached to anything) while hanging off one of the lifting devices in Mushroom Hill Zone and because of this I was able to play as Knuckles, glitch free, in Death Egg. The only problem is that you can't beat the Act 1 boss because you can't jump high enough to reach it.
I tried this in Sonic 3 on Mega Collection. I get a chime when on the vine on Angle Island, but when i go back to the title screen, and hold down B and press start, nothing happens.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Because you're supposed to hold <b>A</b>.

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

I will always remember the Sonic 3 level select as being notoriously difficult and frustating to pull off if only for the timing of the whole gadblasted thing

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Shadow Hog wrote:Because you're supposed to hold <b>A</b>.
Oh? I thought you pressed down twice and used the sound test menu.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

You have a point. It's been way too long since I really played <i>S3&K</i>.

In that case, why the heck was he holding <i>anything</i> and pushing start?

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Shadow Hog wrote:You have a point. It's been way too long since I really played <i>S3&K</i>.

In that case, why the heck was he holding <i>anything</i> and pushing start?
I'd assume he was similarly unclear on the concept.

I recently lost my copy of Sonic and Knuckles Collection...gah, now I'm stuck with emulators.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Arent there any shops that sell the really old games or consoles near your area? There's a shop down my end that does a shitload of old stuff for a couple of quid.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I have a pal who likes to hunt down old games and consoles at Goodwill and pawn shops. He's collected a fairly decent number of Genesis games since he started, but you have to expect them to be in rough shape. Still, Sonic 2 is loads better with an actual controller in your hands instead of a keyboard.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

And of course, there's always eBay, the last bastion of nostalgic hope for all us internet nerds. And we are all internet nerds, right?

Right?

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Right.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Sonicomega

Post by Sonicomega »

Becareful it also mess up if you acidentally tap Up-right, up-left, down-left, and down right.
I do it with the timing of the music and do it when Sonic comes out.

P.S. For DIE-HARD SONIC the HEDGEHOG FANS GET SONIC the HEDGEHOG Genisis FOR THE GBA^^ :grin:

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Soon afterwards, Sonicomega fell on his penis. It was a tragic affair.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Don't worry, it was just a little prick.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Sonicomega has a penis? Or is Sonicomega a penis?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Don't worry, it was just a little prick.
BA DUM PSHH

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Ohh, here we go again.