Sonic 1 made in America rumour?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Koosh Koosh!

Sonic 1 made in America rumour?

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Any idea where this came from? I've seen it banded about on the internet (mainly as "proof" for the Robotnik > Eggman name theory), but is there any actual basis for it?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Do you have any examples? The only reason I can think of is a misinterpretation of the fact that Sonic was designed with an American audience in mind.

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Segaholic2 wrote:Do you have any examples? The only reason I can think of is a misinterpretation of the fact that Sonic was designed with an American audience in mind.
PACHUKA from the Sonic Cult cites it as reason for the Sonic franchise not originally being Japanese in his 'article', "The Segasonic Myth".
"Sonic was a Japanese made product" - Because he was made by Japanese people? Sorry, but it was developed in the United States by Japanese people. If a game coming out of Japan was made by an all American team, it wouldn't be considered an American game.
http://www.sonic-cult.org/articles/segasonic/

It's also banded about on Wikipedia (snnrk) a lot for some reason. I just want to know where this fool-hardy idea came from and whether there is any truth to the matter.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I'm pretty sure if it was true we of all people would know about it. Interrogate the source.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I thought Sonic 1 was the only 16-bit Sonic game made entirely in Japan.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

<i>Sonic CD</i> was, too. I'd already edited the Wikipedia article to mention that... hopefully nobody reverted it already.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I remember a time when somebody popped up on some forum saying he worked at Sega of America and had a bit to do with how Sonic 1 was made, like he said it was his idea to have a 1up at 100 rings, and supposedly the US name Robotnik was an amalgamation of his wife's, daughter's, and pet dog's names all rolled into one, and some other stuff regarding localization (like how they weren't given a story to work from). The whole thing seemed pretty dubious but that's the extent of anything I know/heard about Sonic 1 having any US development, and it points to it being developed entirely in Japan.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

G.Silver wrote:...and supposedly the US name Robotnik was an amalgamation of his wife's, daughter's, and pet dog's names all rolled into one...
ROBerta, OTaria and NIKel?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, unless his wife, daughter and dogs names are Robot, Nik, and the dog had no name.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

To my knowledge, Sonic 1 is one of the only 3 major games in the series (the others being Sonic CD and Adventure) that were developed mainly or entirely in Japan. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Pachuka was a tester for Sega for a little while, so I would guess he picked up that "Sonic 1 made in U.S.A" factoid from somebody while there. Not that i'm vouching for its' credibility.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well let's ask that one bloke. You know, the classy one.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Light Speed wrote:That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, unless his wife, daughter and dogs names are Robot, Nik, and the dog had no name.
I heard Robotnik was a russian word or inspired by a russian word. The idea of the name being an analgm of three names is obviously piss-poor.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Why do people insist of making crap up when it is so obviously just the word Robot with an ending thrown on?

I'll kill them all!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

-nik is a Russian suffix, so you're sort of right, Omni. One of <a href="http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.p ... 80601">the meanings of -nik</a> is an "enthusiast of the thing indicated by the initial element", so Robotnik would be a robot enthusiast. And that's your language lesson of the day.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Light Speed wrote:I'll kill them all!
Can't you just knock them all down?

Keith Stack

Post by Keith Stack »

From Wikipedia:

Robotnik is the generic Polish word for a worker. As such, it was used as a title by a number of leftist magazines throughout 19th and 20th centuries.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Now that does sound familiar. It might be Polish I was thinking of and not Russian. I want a copy of that magasine though.
Either way, why go too deep into a name anyway, the only thing that really matters is what hit's you first, like Sonic refering to speed and Robotnik featuring the word Robot.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I think it was also the name of a play from the same area. Something about a scientist creating robots, and being killed by them- the machines end up ruling the world. Sort of a predecessor to the Terminator series.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Brazillian Cara wrote:I think it was also the name of a play from the same area. Something about a scientist creating robots, and being killed by them- the machines end up ruling the world. Sort of a predecessor to the Terminator series.
Rossum's Universal Robots, you're thinking of, the first use of the word "robot". Though I think it's safe to say that the name "Robotnik" comes from "robot" + "-nik" rather than directly from the Polish "robotnik".

Neo

Post by Neo »

Robotnik rhymes with Sonic.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Robotnik is the name of a breakfast cereal in Malaysia.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Robotnik is the name of my left testicle.

FlightPrevails

Post by FlightPrevails »

Neo Chaotikal wrote:Robotnik rhymes with Sonic.
Great, now I have a visual image of Hobbes saying that while Calvin plays Shadow while simultaneously throwing his controller of choice at the screen.

No, wait, let me rephrase that: while throwing his PS2 controller at the screen. The game was playable on the Gamecube, worth the storyline. On the PS2, it just plain sucked. I liked it on Gamecube, albeit its faults, however, on PS2, I wanted to bludgeon Yugi Naka with a metal pole.