New TMNT movie teaser

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Gaz

New TMNT movie teaser

Post by Gaz »

So the teaser trailer for the upcoming CGI Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film has been released. My expectations for this film haven't exactly been very high but this trailer looks pretty good. The animation is decent and I like the overall look and tone they seem to be going for. I've seen a fair few complaints about this being a CGI film rather than live-action but the trailer does a good job of showing what they can do with CGI that can't be done with guys in rubber suits. I still don't expect the film to be a masterpiece but as long as it has a reasonably decent story and some good action scenes it looks like it could be a fairly enjoyable film.
Last edited by Gaz on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Hey, that did look surprisingly good. I even thought it was pretty funny, a reaction Hollywood rarely evokes in me these days. I kind of want that to be a video game rather than a movie though.

So it's Transformers and the Turtles next year, huh? There's not many of my childhood heroes for them left to plunder.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

They could make a G.I. Joe movie. Maybe even allow FenslerFilms to supply an alternate language track on the DVD.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Popcorn wrote:I kind of want that to be a video game rather than a movie though
You know it's inevitable, right?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Locit wrote:
Popcorn wrote:I kind of want that to be a video game rather than a movie though
You know it's inevitable, right?
Oh, yeah, and it'll suck, but that's not what I meant. The visuals in that trailer, that kind of detail and shit-- I want that in a game. I feel no particular desire for a Ninja Turtles video game.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Not too bad, I had fears of it being a bit too X-treme for my tastes, but it certainly looks quite promising. Especially with Michealangelo acting a prat.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, I actually was thinking through the last half the trailer that the tone of this movie looked a little too dark and sinister. Then Michelangelo falls into the dumpster and put all my fears to rest. I hadn't even heard about this movie until now, but it looks like it'll be entertaining... based on 30 seconds of footage that doesn't really reveal anything about the movie.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I squealed with delight at all that ninja business. It's about bloody time! I was actually really interested at the way they leap and dart all around the place, and the way they run with exaggerated hops is almost like a frog's movement, which is weird but it definitely works. It looks suitably (wince) "gritty", and a shitload more appealing than the usual festering pile of kiddy CGI talking-animal flicks.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It's obviously a lot more influenced by the original Eastman and Laird comics visual style, which is good news to me.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Does someone have a link to a non-quicktime version of the trailer(besides Youtube)?

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

Popcorn wrote:Hey, that did look surprisingly good. I even thought it was pretty funny, a reaction Hollywood rarely evokes in me these days. I kind of want that to be a video game rather than a movie though.

So it's Transformers and the Turtles next year, huh? There's not many of my childhood heroes for them left to plunder.
Speaking of that Transformers movie, it was just announced that Peter Cullen will be reprising the role of Optimus Prime in it. Now all they need to do is get back Frank Welker to do Megatron (and maybe do some other characters as well, considering Welker provided the voices for like 17 different characters in the original show) and then I will definitely want to go see this movie.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Since it was mentioned earlier, Ubisoft has put up an interview with one of the producers or whatever for the game based on this movie with some limited game footage. Most of it is obviously really, really early (the near complete absence of enemies and some placeholder animations tell you that), but it already does look really awesome. Sort of like a much faster paced Prince of Persia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAArd_6Ohbc

Already it looks to be kicking the shit out of Konami's 3D offerings.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

That was an awesome trailer.

And I agree with j-man; this craze of CGI talking animal flicks has got to stop.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

^That said, Monster House looks like a good flick from the little I've seen of it, as does The Ant Bully.

I really hope this Turtles movie is good. It's cool how they've still got so much potential after all this time.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Broke down and watched a youtube feed. Low quality, but looks awesome nonetheless. The game is looking pretty sweet too.

I'm curious to see how the whole thing is handled though. I liked the recent cartoon however there seems to be a strong amount of contempt towards it from extreme fans of the older one. By the looks of things, they're either going to do a mix of the two cartoon styles or stick with what the newer cartoon has been doing. I'm excited for this flick but I'm worried that nostagia for the older cartoon may cause some to skip out on it(which really makes no sense, as nostalgia is almost the primary reason to see this).

And I guess they have pupils in the light, but not in the dark. Huh. Does that mean April's skin color will change back and forth too?;P

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Was I like the only one who didn't like the 80s TMNT cartoon? I managed to get a hold of the whole 80s TMNT cartoon series and while I was watching it, I was all like, "This was popular at one time? What the hell? This cartoon kind of sucks." I never was into the series when I was a kid either. I guess everyone here thinks I'm gay now.

Incidentally, I enjoyed the new TMNT cartoon series, because the turtles do really feel like a family, and there's a lot of genuinely funny moments in the show. Like take this scene for example:

The turtles and splinter are living at April's place for a while because certain circumstances prevent them from going back to the sewers. Michelangelo cooks dinner, and the turtles, Splinter, and April sit at the table. The turtles wait for Leo to come back before they start eating, but after a long wait Leo hasn't come back yet so Splinter gives them permission to start eating. So then all the present turtles start chowing down on their meals with their hands in an unmannerly way.

April (to Splinter): One would think table manners were a part of their training.
*slight pause*
Splinter: One would think.

Well, I guess maybe you should've seen the scene in order to laugh at that.

But anyway, I liked the new TMNT until it started bringing in all this alien shit. After that, I thought it was going downhill. Supposedly, the newest TMNT season has the turtles travelling to the future, which decreases my incentive to watch it. But I recommend the first two or three seasons of the new TMNT if anyone's interested.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I liked the old cartoon series when I was a kid but I rewatched an episode a while back and all I could think was "Why did I even like this show?" It hasn't stood the test of time too well and it just doesn't seem that good now. In the UK there were some stupid censorship laws at the time which affected the show a fair bit(it had to be renamed Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because "Ninja" sounded "too violent" and Nunchakus were completely banned at the time so any scene with Michelangelo using them had to be edited out).

I actually like the new cartoon but like Dash said a lot of people don't even give it a chance just because it's different to the old cartoon and that seems to automatically make it crap. The funny thing is the new cartoon actually stays a lot more faithful to the original comics than the older cartoon did and most of the "changes" are actually things that were originally that way in the comics(eg April being a lab assistant rather than a reporter). It's a shame as it's a really good show with some fairly strong storylines and a family theme to it that works really well. That said it does have some problems(the filler episodes don't tend to be as good as the ones dealing with the main story arcs and the sci-fi elements don't tend to work so well) but it's still a great show. Unfortunately, it does sound like they're going to fuck things up quite badly with the fifth season which is subtitled "Fast Forward" and sees the turtles being transported into the future but at least the show's had a fairly good run.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I liked the old cartoon series when I was a kid but I rewatched an episode a while back and all I could think was "Why did I even like this show?" It hasn't stood the test of time too well and it just doesn't seem that good now.
To say the least. I always mention how I watched my VHS of "Invasion of the Turtle Snatchers" just before the new series started, and how embarassing the old cartoon was. It was complete, predictable tripe, from start to finish. Took all the willpower in the world just to force myself through an entire episode.

Ah, to be 6 years old an easily amused.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Gaz wrote:In the UK there were some stupid censorship laws at the time which affected the show a fair bit(it had to be renamed Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because "Ninja" sounded "too violent" and Nunchakus were completely banned at the time so any scene with Michelangelo using them had to be edited out).
Yeah, it always used to bother me as a kid how Michelangelo never used his weapons while all the other turtles did. I remember noticing the 'ninja/hero' discrepencies, too... in fact, it was only a couple of days ago, when looking up the old TV series for nostalgic purposes, that I saw the American cartoon's opening sequence for the first time. The way the logo kind of 'swirls' into view was new to me, but thinking about it, I guess in the UK version they had to re-draw the logo so it said 'hero' instead of 'ninja' and they just didn't bother to animate the whole 'swirl' deal. That kind of stuff fascinates me... for reasons unknown.

And yeah, like most of the stuff kids like, the Ninja Turtles cartoon was lame kiddiebait. Same with Transformers, Inspector Gadget... I still have a soft spot for all these things purely on the basis of nostalgia, but there's no denying their ultimate worthlessness outside the prebuscent realm. I guess there's a reason Sonic has been the only infatuation to survive my adolescence (though that reason is becoming increasingly veiled).
Last edited by Popcorn on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Gaz wrote:(eg April being a lab assistant rather than a reporter).
Speaking of April, I thought it was hilarious how April in one episode of the new cartoon dressed up in a yellow jumpsuit when she has to disguise herself as a news reporter. April was all like, "So, do I look like a news reporter now?" And Casey Jones was all like, "Uh, maybe in another life."

The new cartoon likes to poke fun at the old cartoon every now and then.

Anyway, y' know that Mikey moment in the movie trailer? I can easily imagine Mikey in the new cartoon doing that, but not so much the Mikey from the old cartoon. The old cartoon never really used him for comic relief. Actually, when I was watching the (whole) old cartoon, there was only one comical moment from that whole cartoon that made me laugh, and it was an exchange between Shredder and Bebop/Rocksteady.

Bebop/Rocksteady (I forgot who said it): Of course we can, boss, how stupid do you think we are?

Shredder: ...no, I can't say it, it's too easy!

Other than that moment, the show is entirely forgettable it didn't even get any passable storywriting until they replaced Krang/Shredder with Lord Dregg.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I really liked the first few seasons, though having picked the first two DVDs up somewhat recently I began to remember that even as a child I was only partially impressed, as some episodes would be entertaining and then others would just make me cringe, even when I was like, <i>nine</i>. The very first season, the multi-part storyline, actually had some considerable oomph to it that got lost VERY quickly, a lot more weapons, gunfire (though laser-like), and Michelangelo definitly swinging his numchucks around (though I don't recall if he ever hit anything with them) before they got dropped altogether in later episodes in favor of those turtle grappling hooks they all carried anyway.

I don't like the new show--I recognize that it's closer to the original material (though I hardly cared about that with the old one) and there are some elements of that which I find intriguing, but I'd rather just read the original comics and satisfy my curiousity that way (speaking of which, are those out in affordable TPB form again yet?) There are some cool elements but the show also seems less fun, and also cringe-worthy in new ways that the old show wasn't.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

G.Silver wrote:I'd rather just read the original comics and satisfy my curiousity that way (speaking of which, are those out in affordable TPB form again yet?)
You'd think so huh? I know I'd buy them. The only TPBs around seem to have been out of print since the early 90s though.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I never read the original TMNT comics, and although its been years since I've last read one, I do remember Archie's TMNT Adventures being really good.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Last edited by Delphine on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

It says the image was stolen, and you ought to ask before directly linking, Del.
For shame.