Shinobi - It's beautiful

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ecco

Shinobi - It's beautiful

Post by Ecco »

No, this is not about that old video game, it is about the movie, Shinobi: Heart Under Blade. And no, it is not based on the game, but it is based on the same source material that the game was based on. I bought the premium edition DVD, and also caught it at Subway Cinema's New York Asian Film Festival last Sunday. It is without a doubt the best martial arts action film I have ever seen. It has an intersting story, great acting, and excellent action sequences to boot. Plus it's also got strong performance by Jo Odagiri and Yukie Nakama (oh, what I wouldn't give to meet Yukie). Everyone should go and see it. I hear it will be getting a theatriucal release in the United States, so that means you won't have to worry about the problems (and expense) of importing it from Japan. You can read about it below, a link to the DVD I purchased:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 004098399/

Of course, if you are reading this and residing in Australia or the United Kingdom, you can purchase it on DVD in those places when it's released there in mid-August.

Alright, I think I've alleviated my boredom tonight.

Ja ne.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

A movie about warring ninja clans in the Tokugawa era shares the same source material with a video game series about a guy named "Joe Musashi" hacking up punks in the 1980s?

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

Kishi wrote:A movie about warring ninja clans in the Tokugawa era shares the same source material with a video game series about a guy named "Joe Musashi" hacking up punks in the 1980s?
Hmm, perhaps I read something wrong somewhere. I've never played the games, nor do I know much about them. I never knew it was a game from the 80's, because I always thought Shinobi was originally for the Sega Genesis. I think I'll go back and see if I can find where I heard the statement that the game and the movie are inspired by the same or similar source material.

The main source material, by the way, is apparently the novel Kouga Ninpou Cho, written by Futaro Yamada, and I believe published back in 1958.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Ninjas are overrated, samurais deserve more praise. Still I would have probabbly checked out this movie if it did not cost a hundred bucks.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Your mom is overrated!

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

Majestic Joey wrote:Ninjas are overrated, samurais deserve more praise. Still I would have probabbly checked out this movie if it did not cost a hundred bucks.
Well, there are other editions priced lower. The still to be released Austarlian edition is about $30 (that's 30 Australian dollars), while there are three other editions of the Japanese disk with fewer special features, two which cost $50 and another for about $35. You can check them out at ezydvd, yesasia, and cdjapan.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Majestic Joey wrote:LOL I LIEK ASIAN CULTURE