Spider-Man 3 teaser up

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Popcorn wrote:Spider-Man 2 was definitely better than the original.
Spider-Man no more. No more.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Popcorn wrote:
Segaholic2 wrote: I enjoyed the Spider-Man movies. They were good. But I wouldn't call them great, and Spider-Man 2 was definitely worse than 1.
Spider-Man 2 was definitely better than the original. What are you, gay or something?
I agree on both counts. NT is gay, and 2 is better.

By the way, anyone hear about that X-men spinoff? They are making a movie called Wolverine. Yay for milking franchises for everything they are worth.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I would tend to agree with you except that Wolverine was the only interesting character in the series and the one they focused the most on anyways. An X-Men movie is a tough sell anyway considering you have two hours to tell the stories of a dozen heroes and villians.

And I liked Spiderman better than the second one mostly because it had the tired "super hero gives up being a super hero so he can have a normal life subplot." If I wanted to see that crap I would watch Batman Forever.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Batman gave up being Batman so he could live a normal life in Batman Forever? All I remember about that movie is wanting to shoot Tommy Lee Jones.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

chriscaffee wrote:And I liked Spiderman better than the second one mostly because it had the tired "super hero gives up being a super hero so he can have a normal life subplot." If I wanted to see that crap I would watch Batman Forever.
Why not watch Superman II instead? It was a better movie and it had Zod!

KNEEL BEFORE HIM!

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Shadow Hog wrote:For what it's worth, Tobey Maguire makes several quips as Spidey in the related video games. Consider it a good thing that he doesn't do it in the movies; he's not that good at it.
It was better than nothing, anyway. Though Maguire and the overall poor story and acting in the Spidey 2 game made me yearn for the Dreamcast/Playstation Spider-Man.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I thought everyone raved about the Spiderman 2 game. Although that did seem to mainly focus around swinging aimlessly around a city.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Swinging around the city accounts for a lot. I'm not saying the gameplay is bad, just that Dreamcast's Spidey had a much better story, especially considering how many characters they were able to squeeze in. Not to mention the dozens of other nods to the lore in general.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Spiderman 2 had a boring plot. I don't want to see Peter Parker be emo for 90% of the movie with 2 minor Spiderman appearences, dammit.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Ngangbius wrote:
chriscaffee wrote:And I liked Spiderman better than the second one mostly because it had the tired "super hero gives up being a super hero so he can have a normal life subplot." If I wanted to see that crap I would watch Batman Forever.

KNEEL BEFORE HIM!
Because Superman is a weak story. There is no real conflict since Superman can do anything and can never be defeated. Even if he somehow is physically not able to save the planet, all he has to do is fly around Earth really fast and reverse time and then try again. I'd rather have a hero that has a chance at losing. That's why the Matrix 2 and 3 sucked and the action scenes were boring.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Nah, the Matrix sequels sucked because they made no god damn sense. Besides, most action scenes didn't even include Neo fighting. Aside from the huge Agent Smith Brawl and the Castle fight they mainly included Morpheus, Trinity and the rest of the gang.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

chriscaffee wrote:Because Superman is a weak story. There is no real conflict since Superman can do anything and can never be defeated.
He seems to get his ass handed to him (if only temporarily) often enough in Smallville: At the climax of the this season, he inadvertedly incarnated Zod into Lex, and after a bit of a tirade on Zod's part, he effortlessly sealed Clark into that freaky glass pane thing and shot him into space. Meanwhile the entire planet plunged into total chaos after all its' power sources were disabled.

Earlier in the season, there were no shortage of moments where Clark was otherwise incapacitated or taught a lesson the hard way, such as turning back the clock to save Lana but leaving Johnathan to die of a heart attack, or when he defeated two "disciples of Zod" and lost his powers for a few episodes in the process because he failed to meet his promise to Jor-El.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Light Speed wrote:By the way, anyone hear about that X-men spinoff? They are making a movie called Wolverine. Yay for milking franchises for everything they are worth.
Don't forget Magneto.
Light Speed wrote:Batman gave up being Batman so he could live a normal life in Batman Forever? All I remember about that movie is wanting to shoot Tommy Lee Jones.
All I really remember about it is A) the soundtrack (good music; I always had a soft spot for "Kiss From a Rose"), B) Bruce allowing Robin to be his sidekick way too abruptly, and C) Two-Face getting impaled (if off-screen). Not a whole lot, really.
Ngangbius wrote:

KNEEL BEFORE HIM!
Incidentally, wasn't Superman Returns supposed to be a direct sequel to this one? At least, I heard that they were retconning any other sequels right out of the continuity, and picking up after Zod's rampage.

Still need to see that movie, if only for Zod. Heck, I need to see the first one, too.
Last edited by Shadow Hog on Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Shadow Hog wrote:"Kiss by a Rose"
It's "Kiss From A Rose". You know, I might compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave, ooh, the more I get of you the stranger it feels, yea-ah? Jeeze.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Fair enough. Fixed.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Light Speed wrote:Batman gave up being Batman so he could live a normal life in Batman Forever? All I remember about that movie is wanting to shoot Tommy Lee Jones.
All I really remember about it is A) the soundtrack (good music; I always had a soft spot for "Kiss From a Rose"), B) Bruce allowing Robin to be his sidekick way too abruptly, and C) Two-Face getting impaled (if off-screen). Not a whole lot, really.
What, Jim Carry gets no love?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Not really. I remember the performance a bit, but not very well.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Why exactly was Spider-Man 2 so much better than Spider-Man 1?

2 was Tobey Maguire making watery eyes at the camera basically every moment he's on screen, and the internal struggle is the same one he supposedly overcame at the end of the first movie.

Doctor Octopus was dumb and his motivation was dumber. Dumbest was that Peter Parker literally talks him to death for the stunning finale.

Not to mention the fact that the movie should have just been subtitled Spider-Man 2: New York Learns Spidey's Secret Identity.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Segaholic wins the internet!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Lies.

I caught the teaser last night at a buddy's house. I have opinions.

*Glad to see the "black suit" from the teaser poster is actually Symbiote Spidey and not just a red herring, because it looks super sweet. I'm also glad it's still self-aware black gloop and not some other wacky McGuffin they cooked up, although they'll probably alter the original, and highly ridiculous, symbiote origin into something more palatable, a la Ultimate Spidey.

*Not enough Sandman in the trailer. I really want to see this guy causing shit on the big screen, and I hope his screentime isn't diminished thanks to the return of the Green Goblin.

*Green Goblin. What the fuck. I just hoped the ending to Spidey 2 was trying to throw you off the real deal, but no; he's back and chunky as ever. Come on, can't they chuck a raggedy cape over him and call him Hobgoblin or something? Mix it up a bit, for God's sake.

*Although we know shit-all plotwise, I'm happy to see Spidey tearing up the suit in a bell tower, at least; let's see a return of familiar setpieces from the books, says I. I think Gwen Stacy is a bit of an unnecessary addition, and I fear for the symbiote storyline; a fiver says there's tears all round as the new Goblin starts aggro with Gwen on top of the bridge, a scene already milked bone-dry in Spidey 2. Well come on, it'll be all too familiar and probably unwanted, but they can't leave her alive, can they?

Oh yeah, and...

*VENOMVENOMVENOMVENOMVENOMVENOM plz.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I can see the reasoning for wanting to resolve the Goblin stuff while bringing in the symbiote stuff, but I'd think that alone would definitely be enough material for one movie. Was there really any good reason to not just put off Gwen Stacy and/or Sandman until the next one?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Actually j-man, there are rumors going about that Gwen Stacy doesn't even die in the least. Like, at all.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

In fact, I think that the story has been altered with the goblins. See his yellow suit? It has to be Hobgoblin, plus I've heard around different sites that it is Hobgoblin too.

Venom is looking pretty good too, he actually looks pretty scary.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Omni Hunter wrote:Venom is looking pretty good too, he actually looks pretty scary.
What? We haven't actually seen Venom yet, have we?

Unless you're talking about the symbiote touching Parker's arm in the teaser.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Dunst says she won't be in any future Spidey movies, so it looks like MJ will either be killed, written out or recast after this one. As for Venom, the smart money is on Topher not getting the suit until the very end of the film. So in theory, it shouldn't be too cluttered. (Although I do worry about this "fourth villain" they plan to announce at Comic-con.)

I didn't realize there was anyone who liked the first movie better than the second. The first movie had an OK handle on the origin story, but the Green Goblin was pretty bad. Great actor, solid handle on Osbourne... but his villain persona was one of the lamest, vaguest and stupidest-looking comics-to-screen villain translations ever.

Doc Ock, on the other hand, was amazing. Molina totally nailed the character, and somehow the effects team managed to make him look legitimately intimidating rather than totally ridiculous. They realized that, basically, Doc Ock is cool because he can HUCK STUFF. Like that bit with the clock hands, or the part where he starts chucking people out of the subway. Man, they made Doc Ock scary. I didn't think that was possible!

There were still some cheesy moments, but nothing as outright cringe-inducing as the scene with the helpful New Yorkers on the bridge. I liked the subway bit, particularly when everyone proudly stands up to keep Doc Ock away from Spidey, and Doc Ock responds by basically bitch-slapping them all. Awesome.

I mean, I like both films. But the original had two problems (too cheesy, lame villain), and the sequel fixed one of them.