Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic 1) to be realeased to GBA

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Besides the game still plays better in a Sega CD than in a port...

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

It frustrates me that the only proper way to play it without any bullshit is through a European or Japanese Mega CD. I'm not a big fan of playing games in a region different from my own..

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

James McGeachie wrote: Also, since it's been discussed in this topic I'll add I can't stand Sonic CD's level design. I've only played through it a grand total of once (with the Japanese soundtrack) but I didn't enjoy a single second. Some levels, like wacky workbench or whatever, just seem horribly laid out and the game as a whole doesn't really feel like any of the main Megadrive titles or play even remotely as well.

I don't think I'll ever understand what so many people see in it, even the jump sound effect heavily pisses me off.
The levels were designed with the time travel gimmick in mind. They weren't designed to be played like normal Sonic levels where you just run from start to finish as fast as you can. There's a lot of exploration involved.

CE

Post by CE »

I'm with James here.

Let me get this straight. I'm supposed to keep three level designs in mind, all of which are different in subtle ways, and I never see all three at once? And no one thought that'd be nearly impossible, even for a hyperactive seven year old?

Sonic CD has as great style. The bosses are visually the best bosses in any Sonic game. But the level design just does not work for me.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

There's a lot of exploration but it's not really "involved," if you know the layout of one stage you know the layout of all three. You do not keep "all three in mind," except possibly in knowing where Metal Sonic and the Generators are in the Past so you can time warp in a way that gets you to them efficiently. If you know where they are.

The levels are designed so you can explore them, but they're all synched with eachother to some degree--the differences are like "this machine is off in this time zone" and "there's different crap in this room here." It's not complicated at all.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

The most noticeable differences between time traveling comes from Tidal Tempest. The water's low in the past, somewhat high in the present, and almost consumes the entire level in the future. Also, the water color is different, as well as the objects in the foreground.

Another example would be in Collission Chaos. In the present there's several sets of loops near springs where Sonic bounces back and forth, but in the past, the loop is cut in half.

CE

Post by CE »

Even Palmtree Panic had its share of big differences. There were entire rooms that were only in the Past. An inclined slope would become a fall followed by a flat path. Spring tunnels would disapear outright.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Yep. And it's those little changes that make me play each Round in each of its four incarnations (past, present, bad future, and good future). I often go to the past using the level select just to hunt down the capsule machines as fast as possible and destroy them. I've gone through both Zones of all seven Rounds pretty much down to every single possible nook and cranny you can enter from.

Sonicomega

Post by Sonicomega »

Sonic Legends would be good for a title.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Why are you making some random suggestion of a name for a game that's been named for quite a while? A rather poor choice, too, since this is only ONE game, not many like the plural "Legend<b>s</b>" implies.

Seriously, the name is fine, considering the (as of now and as far as I know) US-only release. Leave it as-is.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

If you ask me, Sonic needs a game where he is the only playable character until you end the game, and then you can use others.

So you want Shadow? You would have to end the game with Sonic first!.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Arcade wrote:If you ask me, Sonic needs a game where he is the only playable character until you end the game, and then you can use others.

So you want Shadow? You would have to end the game with Sonic first!.
This might be a good idea, but I would prefer a game with the S3+K character set, especially since I hate unlocking characters, however easy. Although, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind including Amy, provided I didn't have to unlock her.

"!."
^eh?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Arcade wrote:If you ask me, Sonic needs a game where he is the only playable character.
Fix'd.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Works for Mario.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Works for Mario.
But Mario typically has a bunch of different powerups that break-up the gameplay by essentially letting you feel like you're playing different characters. All Sonic's ever had like that are the invincibility boxes. Barely. Sorta, kinda.

My point is that part of the reason why it works for Mario is because he can transform, while Sonic hasn't (really) had in-stage transformations since Super Sonic's last regular in-stage appearence in S3K

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

What about the various shields from Sonic 3?

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

They helped, but not as much as the suits helped Mario, and the powers they gave him were hardly the match of Tails or Knuckles.

Breathing underwater was fun, though...

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

The Aqua Barrier was also the fastest one of the three barriers / shields to brake whenever I played Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The Thunder Barrier usually lasted me most of the level until I fell in water.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's cause the Aqua Barrier was useless except in Hydrocity, and even then, if you knew where you were going, you almost never ended up underwater for any significant length of time. The Thunder Barrier, however, was precious, so of course you subconsciously played more defensively while you had one active.

The Flame Barrier was actually also pretty useless except at the boss of Lava Reef, and even then it didn't make the battle go any faster.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I cherished the shields more for the new moves they presented than the protection they offered. The thunder barrier's doublejump was especially useful, but the flame shield gave you a welcome quick boost while you could use the aqua barrier to kill enemies in their tracks. I'd be ecstatic if the shields made a comeback; they were a very useful gimmick and, going back to Zeta's point, could be used to break up Sonic's standalone gameplay.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

You can also use the flame barrier against the Flying Battery boss and kill him in one pass by holding a spin dash between his claws. I'm sure there are other bosses that become highly expoitable but that's the one that stands out in my mind..

I really liked the air dash, it certainly didn't open up new areas or anything, but it (and the electric barrier) gave a different dynamic to jumping around and could be used to boost around without stopping for a spin dash, which I really liked. The thing about these moves is that they compliment Sonic's core gameplay, which is more complex than Mario's, but if you were to give Sonic something like a cape that made him fly or let him wack enemies, then it really wouldn't be Sonic anymore. For some reason Mario is still Mario even when he's a dentist or a defense attorney.

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

The Flame Barrier was also useful against the Angel Island and Mushroom Hill bosses. On Angel Island you could just stand under Eggman and keep jumping at him while his flame shooter thingy couldn't do squat on you, and on Mushroom Hill you could attack Eggman at anytime without having to wait for the little flame jets underneath to turn off.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

^ You still had to avoid the spikes coming at you from the right, though. The Flame shield just made the process easier.

I liked how minor projectile annoyances would just richochet off whatever shield you were currently sporting, leaving you free to whump the bitch who tried to off you.

Sometimes, however, I just liked going shield-less so I could perfect my W Kaiten attacks. To this day I can't play any 2D Sonic title without double-tapping the jump button for that little bit of invincibility when tackling anything airbourne, or passing through a rain of missiles/projectiles/what-have-you.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I found the different shields kinda fun, I know the lightning shield has gone through different itterations, but I'm suprised that the fire shield hasn't been seen since Flickies Island.

As for the water shield, it was useful, over half of the Sonic 3 levelshad water to varying extents. But the big 3 would Hydrocity, Launch Base and Carnival Night.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Every level in Sonic 3 had water, except Marble Garden. Sonic & Knuckles on the other hand had no water at all.