Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic 1) to be realeased to GBA

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Er, what? The original was flawless. How could they make a "better level design" version?

aso

Post by aso »

jenkins wrote:Er, what? The original was flawless. How could they make a "better level design" version?
It's a bit difficult for me to put this into words, but... Sonic CD is far too full of jamming points and occasionally bizarre platform placement for me to really enjoy the level design of the game. It is not fun to suddenly be halted in the middle of a run by the seemingly random placement of a spring that catapults you backwards, or an out-of-nowhere platform shift that requires you to awkwardly scale up so many screens just to get moving again.

Sonic 1 (and from what I can recall of 2 and 3, not sure about S&K) was much smoother and didn't rely quite as much on forced navigation of a series of obstacle courses and the like. The levels that did utilise obstacle courses and such (typically the later levels, and not all over the damn game, as in CD) at least took time to alternate.

Not to say that I didn't like CD; it's still fun, I just much prefer the freer form utilised in S1 and friends.

Then again, maybe I'm retarded. Who knows.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

It's just a matter of preference--people who like Sonic CD the most like its levels the most too, or at least, I certainly do. Overcoming the "problems" you describe are what makes it so much fun, I feel like Sonic is much more agile when he tackles those situations smoothly, even if it isn't as fast all the time. It's certainly rougher and less polished though, so it's easy to confuse what I'm pretty sure is usually deliberate design with sloppiness.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I'd be interested in a port of CD if they made a 'better level design' version of the original.
Me too, the version in Sonic Gems was not good.

FlightPrevails

Post by FlightPrevails »

^Then you're saying Sonic CD was not good.

Then again, the Gems version did have the crappy American music...

*Sonic Boom, Sonic -chokes singer-*

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

You weren't playing the import. A gross error on your part, methinks.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I was playing the Import version and I still wasnt satisfied 100% because it had some bugs like the clear water and the music vs Metal didnt change on the good future as well as no ending credits? If I missed any more bugs let me know.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

In this so-called "Anniversary Mode", at any rate.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

It sounds more like an unlockable sound test to me but we'll see.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

What, no sound test on the level select screen?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Or is there even such a thing as the level select screen in this version?

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

The screen looks embarrasingly cramped...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I feel for the people who are going to be playing this for the first time. The viewing area is smaller than the Advance games..

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Labyrinth will be even more claustraphobic now. But I'm taking that as a good thing.

Neo

Post by Neo »

On a different note, it seems that Green Hill's background water is now dark blue as seen in the the original's title screen, and not light eye-piercing cyan. I think I approve.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

sega.com wrote:# New Spin Dash ability. This is the first time Sonic’s supersonic spinning maneuver is available in Sonic the Hedgehog!
It's like Sonic Jam never happened.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Maybe they want to ignore the Saturn also.

I have a feeling the PSP version will be better.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

There's a PSP version, too?

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Dr Kintobor

Post by Dr Kintobor »

I really hope all 5 of the first Sonic games get released on GBA (not Sonic Spinball though).

Playing Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3 and S&K on a handheld will be totally awesome. We have ports on consoles but not handhelds. As long as the games play properly on GBA we should be on for a winner, that is if all of these get released. I have a bad feeling only Sonic 1 will.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Sonic Spinball was already released on the GBA a few years ago in a Sega Smash Pack. As I recall, it was some piss poor emulation.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The Genesis Sonic 1 will always be my favorite Sonic game, cause its fun, simple and you can stay playing it for hours and hours. Sonic 1 with a spindash and save is too easy. Is like cheating dude...

PS: Besides it has the best especial zone ever!!!

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

If they're really actually replaced the soundtrack and are just letting you "unlock" the original tunes then I don't have the first clue what's going through Sega's head nowadays.

Also, since it's been discussed in this topic I'll add I can't stand Sonic CD's level design. I've only played through it a grand total of once (with the Japanese soundtrack) but I didn't enjoy a single second. Some levels, like wacky workbench or whatever, just seem horribly laid out and the game as a whole doesn't really feel like any of the main Megadrive titles or play even remotely as well.

I don't think I'll ever understand what so many people see in it, even the jump sound effect heavily pisses me off.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I think it's nostalgia. I first played Sonic CD in 1995, when I purchased a Sega CD near the very end of its life cycle (SEGA stopped making games for it about 6 months after I got it). I don't remember getting frustrated when playing it, but when I replayed it in 2004 on a different Sega CD (with the American soundtrack, since I played it not through an emulator and didn't feel like hunting down the Mega CD version), I remember swearing at the controls, getting frustrated at the level design (Stardust Speedway still has some of the shittiest level design of any 2-D Sonic game ever, the Advance games included), and losing all my lives because I got stuck in retarded places I couldn't get out of. But since I had good memories of the game when I was younger I tried (and eventually) to forgive these problems.

I definitely wouldn't like Sonic CD if I played it through Sonic Gems Collection, Japanese soundtrack or not.