Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic 1) to be realeased to GBA

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Eventhough Sonic 2 is the BEST out of all of the classic series,Sonic 1 still manages to hold up under the pressure of being too short and for some too easy.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Easy + Labirynth Zone = DON'T MIX.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Chaos wrote:Eventhough Sonic 2 is the BEST out of all of the classic series,Sonic 1 still manages to hold up under the pressure of being too short and for some too easy.
Yeah right, bearing in mind Sonic 1 didn't have a pissy spin-dash to get momentum up, the fact that levels consisted of 3 acts and the special stages were quite hard.

But of course it was short, it was the first game in the series during a period when games with a saving option were rare.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

I'd say Sonic 2's special stages were harder than the original ones. I normally just make the ring count with the skin of my teeth and there's a good lot of memorisation needed, and if you've got an AI Tails your buggered. Of course you get a lot more opportunities to get to special stages in Sonic 2 compared to the original where you have 10 chances to get 6 emeralds.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Sonic 1 is easy? What the fuck is that? Sonic 1 is perhaps the hardest out of all the Genesis Sonic games. It throws the most enemies at you, with the most hazards.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

It's still pretty easy on the whole, though, except for the Labyrinth Zone boss.

Sonic 2 is definitely the hardest to finish with all the emeralds. You don't get many chances at Sonic 1's special stages, and while they're not exactly easy, they're not too bad. (The only actually hard special stages are the 4th and 5th ones, where you have to go through that initial maze, but if you simply learn to be careful and follow the rings (and scout ahead when gravity lets you), it becomes not that big a problem.) If you don't get all the emeralds, chances are you'll only miss one; maybe two. Getting all the emeralds in Sonic 3 is just plain easy, and the only problem with getting all the emeralds in S&K is actually finding enough special stages to do so (especially if you mess up once). Sonic 2 has such hard special stages, though, that even with the numerous chances at it, I only first managed to finish with all the emeralds a few weeks ago. (Not that I've been playing it a whole lot over the years, but the point is that it was the last game I beat with all the emeralds, by quite a lot.)

muke

Post by muke »

If they're going to release Sonic 1 for the GBA, let's just hope that there are some extras or something: i.e. Mario Kart Super Circuit, the original SNES stages were unlockable, doubling the amount of courses in the game. If they can do that with Mario Kart, then they can sure throw us an extra bone with what is essentually a Genesis port.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Sonic 1 in Advance-style graphics?

But I suppose I'm one of the only people on the GHZ who would support that, no? Ah well. I can hope.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

A 7th special stage and the ability to go Super? I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that it could happen...

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Come on, going Super in the middle of a stage? In a recently released Sonic Team title, port or otherwise? Surely you jest.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

jenkins wrote:Sonic 1 in Advance-style graphics?

But I suppose I'm one of the only people on the GHZ who would support that, no? Ah well. I can hope.
I seriously hope you are, I'd like to think most people here thought the graphical style of the original was far superior to the Advance games because unless you're blind I can't see how you could think any differently.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I don't get the hate for the <i>Advance</i> style of graphics. Simple as that. The backgrounds are quite detailed, and the sprites, while not sporting the world's greatest shading, are considerably more fluid and well-animated.

That's not to say I think <i>Sonic 1</i> should have them - not at all, the game's existing art style is more than sufficient, and debatably more <i>vivid</i>. It's just that the hating on the <i>Advance</i> graphical style is pretty stupid, especially when your only evidence to the contrary is ludicrously simple-minded ("it's better because you're dumb if you think otherwise"). Care to back up your claim with some actual meat?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

James McGeachie wrote:
jenkins wrote:Sonic 1 in Advance-style graphics?

I seriously hope you are, I'd like to think most people here thought the graphical style of the original was far superior to the Advance games because unless you're blind I can't see how you could think any differently.
I don't see how it's an impossible conclusion because unless you're incredibly close-minded, you may notice that the sprites are somewhat more fluid than the original Sonic, and the backgrounds are more natural looking.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, ports are easier than making new games, so we don’t have any screen shots yet?

Isambard

Post by Isambard »

Arcade wrote:Well, ports are easier than making new games, so we don’t have any screen shots yet?
Well that's not entirely the market's fault for that one. Alot of people whine about how the old-age of gaming was truly golden and anything new should be treated with fear and contempt.

Moreover, yea I think a company like Sega could stand to make a few dollars from a "simple" port. If you call going through lines and lines of code all over again and remanifesting it in a different format simple. You don't -need- to buy the game. And it's not like their development teams are working 100% on just ports.

Why not make games available for multiple platforms? It's nothing but good for 3rd party developers to get maximum exposure to their games. And SEGA could certainly use the cash in this case. Besides...not everyone experienced Sonic 1. Give 'em a chance to this time around, with a new generation of gamer.

...And that's all I got to say about that.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Isambard wrote:
Arcade wrote:Well, ports are easier than making new games, so we don’t have any screen shots yet?
Well that's not entirely the market's fault for that one. Alot of people whine about how the old-age of gaming was truly golden and anything new should be treated with fear and contempt.

Moreover, yea I think a company like Sega could stand to make a few dollars from a "simple" port. If you call going through lines and lines of code all over again and remanifesting it in a different format simple. You don't -need- to buy the game. And it's not like their development teams are working 100% on just ports.

Why not make games available for multiple platforms? It's nothing but good for 3rd party developers to get maximum exposure to their games. And SEGA could certainly use the cash in this case. Besides...not everyone experienced Sonic 1. Give 'em a chance to this time around, with a new generation of gamer.

Well, as someone say in a interview, making a game available for multiple platforms is tiring and lots of hard work. 3D is a bitch, and it takes a lots more time to fix the bugs, and some are always left behind, that’s why s is better to do a 3D game for PCs. No matter how buggy the game is, every gamer has Internet nowadays, so you can just release patches on da net.

Is true not everyone experienced Sonic 1, but they had lots of chances, like that Gamecube Sega game collection, Sega PC ports to PC and so on. I think there was even a Sega game collection for playstacion 2?.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Arcade wrote:
Isambard wrote:

Well, as someone say in a interview, making a game available for multiple platforms is tiring and lots of hard work. 3D is a bitch, and it takes a lots more time to fix the bugs, and some are always left behind, that’s why s is better to do a 3D game for PCs. No matter how buggy the game is, every gamer has Internet nowadays, so you can just release patches on da net.
That sort of thinking encourages developers to release half-assed products and promise that they'll release patches later.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Whoa! Sonic 1 in Advance graphics!

Who needs game designers when you can just rely on spriters?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

It would be cool if it was a remake with new stuff on it.

But The original is best I guess.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

jenkins wrote:Whoa! Sonic 1 in Advance graphics!
Tileset's not bad, backgrounds are laughable.

If they felt the need to go to all the effort of making it look prettier, i'd want to see near-32x quality graphics over the cartoon advance style. Ask yourself which of the two Green Hill would look better in.

aso

Post by aso »

FlashTHD wrote:
jenkins wrote:Whoa! Sonic 1 in Advance graphics!
Tileset's not bad, backgrounds are laughable.

If they felt the need to go to all the effort of making it look prettier, i'd want to see near-32x quality graphics over the cartoon advance style. Ask yourself which of the two Green Hill would look better in.
Agree here. Even though the gameplay of, say, Chaotix was fundamentally flawed, the graphics were colorful, vibrant, and definitely, eh, Sonical. All of the levels were abundantly colorful and fairly original, unlike what we see in many of the Advance levels. If they were to try remaking the 2D graphics of Sonic 1, I'd definitely opt for a take in the lines of Chaotix.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

That deserves a trophy.

Thank you Japan...

FlightPrevails

Post by FlightPrevails »

^^AMAZING.

And to you who say of Sonic DS: Sonic Rush is one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life.

They shouldn't be remaking Sonic 1 on the GBA though. It's nice and all, but...

Sonic CD + GBA... one can dream...

aso

Post by aso »

Silv caught my reference! Wünderbar!
FlightPrevails wrote:^^AMAZING.

And to you who say of Sonic DS: Sonic Rush is one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life.

They shouldn't be remaking Sonic 1 on the GBA though. It's nice and all, but...

Sonic CD + GBA... one can dream...
Why the hell not? Sonic 1 has been tossed around like a two-bit whore, to Jam, to Mega Collection (and Mega Collection Plus after), to those Genesis compilations in the shape of a Genesis controller, to your cell phone (if I'm not mistaken) and God only knows what else after that. It really wouldn't be so bad if it were to be released on one more system, especially the GBA, which could always use yet another 2D platformer.

I'd be interested in a port of CD if they made a 'better level design' version of the original.