Sonic Community's (number) Most Memorable Moments

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
SoNick

Sonic Community's (number) Most Memorable Moments

Post by SoNick »

WiteoutKing of SWS2B came up with an idea:
I'm guessing a good deal of you guys watch TV, amirite? And now and then there'll be all those specials on: World's 100 Worst Police Accidents, 35 Funniest Celebrity Bloopers, Top 73 Whaleboating Mishaps, 102 Hottest Celebrities, 731 Best Pictures of a Cat, etc etc. Lists of stuff, on TV, with interviews.

Well, I wanna try an experiment, and do that with this community.

I would like to compile the publicly-decided 10/25/50/100/whatever Most Memorable Moments in the community.

You may respond here if you want, and would actually be preferable for the sake of others seeing it. What I want from you is to tell me any points in time and events i nthe community that you thought were memorable, controvertial, amazing, weird, hilarious, ANYTHING. I wanna see it all and put it together.

Next Monday I'll grab the list and toss it back at the boards and ask members to decide if a particular moment was worth noting or not. Tally up scores, you get the idea.

Then, if you want to (literally) speak your mind on the subject, you can send in audio, call me via Skype (witeoutking) to talk about it, or just type it up and have yourself (kekeke) synthed. The results could be amazing, they could be shit.

But with enough participation from the community as a whole, this could be fucking awesome.

If you guys wouldn't mind, post this (once, thanks ;P) to as many of the community boards as possible, and let me know where it's been posted only because I can't get an accurate polling otherwise (I'm gonna have to register at places for compilation's sake).

You may also PM me your nominations as well. The end result will (hpoefully) be something as interesting as the shows on TV. Have fun, all ;P
So yeah, go ahead and give some ideas.

Oh, and sorry for the lack of posts from me over the last few months; I didn't bookmark the site and over time forgot about it.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Alright, here are some ideas. In no particular order:
  • That <i>Sonic X-treme</i> beta April Fools debacle. Sure, it was awful (although it's kinda surprising how many people fell for it), but whether we all <b>liked</b> it or not wasn't a factor in this, only how memorable it was.
  • <i>Sonic Heroes</i> was released to much anticipation. Then it turned out that it sucked. This general period didn't start all of the negativity, but it sure as hell helped it spread.
  • <i>Shadow</i> was announced. Everyone was amazed Sonic Team actually OKed this crap.
  • The announcement that <i>Shadow</i> will star 4Kids actors, and every <i>Sonic</i> game subsequently. Now <i>that</i> was a calamity.
  • Sega goes third-party.
  • <i>Sonic X-treme</i> is cancelled.
  • <i>Sonic Adventure</i> is announced; for the first time, there will be a fully-fledged 3D <i>Sonic</i> game with something resembling the original gameplay. <i>R</i> and <i>Jam</i> don't count, since one's a racer and the other was just a very awesome afterthought.
  • The <i>Sonic 2</i> Beta is found, dumped, and released onto the 'Net.
You know, generic things like that.

I'll probably spread this to some of the other forums I go to, too. It seems like a good idea, really.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I think the kind of stuff they're primarily going for is <i>community</i> events like Andy Wolan's world class tantrum before he tore down the SSRG.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Howabout the news of Pachuka being arrested on the account of statutory rape?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Rat.org going away. :/

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Ngangbius wrote:Howabout the news of Pachuka being arrested on the account of statutory rape?
If the talk I hear is correct, he plead guilty but it was revealed after he was sentenced that the "victim" lied about the rape and was actually older than she claimed. I dunno if she intended it as a scam or how long Pach's in for or what-all beyond that, ask Sazpaimon if you want to know.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I was gonna say Pachuka's arrest.

How about the location of Chris Senn, and his amazing willingness to share almost every little scrap of Sonic X-Treme Info he had with the community? Textures, models, videos, music, concept art - just about everything short of the actual game itself in playable format.

On a similar subject to Pachuka's arrest, one sequence of events I'll never forget was Sonic-Cult's rise to fame and the bullying tactics they took against various other websites and forums they did not like; including DoS attacks, security hole expoitation and script kiddie harrasment. Their rise also included stealing content from other websites (didn't matter if it was from IGN or a small fansite) and removing any and all watermarks, no matter how insignificant (and in some cases, even re-branding this content with Sonic-Cult logos). After stealing it, they refused to take the content down, simply with the excuse "It's the internet. You shouldn't have posted it publically if you didn't want us to steal it." Much of the stolen content remains on the website today. Nowadays, people are probably too tired of arguing about it, or too afraid of certain Sonic Cult forum members to pursue the matter any more.

And while we could say "Sonic 2 Beta", maybe it'd be better to encompass all Sonic beta hacking; Sonic CD, Sonic 2, Sonic Spinball, and Sonic Crackers. All were great discoveries and provided years of amusement as people unlocked hidden sprites, bits of code once thought lost, etc.

Hmmm. Perhaps I'll think of more later.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Blaze somehow getting the entire community to pay for his internet connection.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

That only happened once. And it was like, $40. That's pocket change to some people.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

What the hell?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Hey, so, anyone wanna pony up for my internet for this month? I only pay half, so it's like $20. C'mon guys, you're my e-pals!

CM August

Post by CM August »

Most of the good stuff has been posted already. This doesn't really count, but one of the most significant moments to me was contacting SatAM's composer and aquiring a slew of unreleased Sonic demo music, completely free of charge. Again, this is an event that's probably only important to me.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I once e-mailed Ryan Drummond (voice of Sonic in SA1 and SA2) and got a reply. I told him all kinds of stupid shit. It was fairly novel, though.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Hey, screw you guys. Money was tight one month and we got a shut off notice from the phone company. Don't like it? Suffocate and die.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

You sure do suck, Blaze.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Yeah, and what's it to you?

CM August

Post by CM August »

The correct response is "Suck like a FOX!"

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:On a similar subject to Pachuka's arrest, one sequence of events I'll never forget was Sonic-Cult's rise to fame and the bullying tactics they took against various other websites and forums they did not like; including DoS attacks, security hole expoitation and script kiddie harrasment. Their rise also included stealing content from other websites (didn't matter if it was from IGN or a small fansite) and removing any and all watermarks, no matter how insignificant (and in some cases, even re-branding this content with Sonic-Cult logos). After stealing it, they refused to take the content down, simply with the excuse "It's the internet. You shouldn't have posted it publically if you didn't want us to steal it." Much of the stolen content remains on the website today. Nowadays, people are probably too tired of arguing about it, or too afraid of certain Sonic Cult forum members to pursue the matter any more.
That's right, portray Sonic CulT as the mob because you're the one too scared of them. How did they own you, anyway? Without telling me more than what actually happened?

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

FlashTHD wrote:
BlazeHedgehog wrote:On a similar subject to Pachuka's arrest, one sequence of events I'll never forget was Sonic-Cult's rise to fame and the bullying tactics they took against various other websites and forums they did not like; including DoS attacks, security hole expoitation and script kiddie harrasment. Their rise also included stealing content from other websites (didn't matter if it was from IGN or a small fansite) and removing any and all watermarks, no matter how insignificant (and in some cases, even re-branding this content with Sonic-Cult logos). After stealing it, they refused to take the content down, simply with the excuse "It's the internet. You shouldn't have posted it publically if you didn't want us to steal it." Much of the stolen content remains on the website today. Nowadays, people are probably too tired of arguing about it, or too afraid of certain Sonic Cult forum members to pursue the matter any more.
That's right, portray Sonic CulT as the mob because you're the one too scared of them. How did they own you, anyway? Without telling me more than what actually happened?
Pachuka was a "member" of the Mooglecavern for about a year or so. When he first registered, he didn't post very much - once every three months or so. Eventually he learned he could be a dick to us to amuse himself, and Kulock, the owner of the Mooglecavern, got sick of his shit and banned him. He answered that by DoSing the Mooglecavern (he put several invisible iFrames at the bottom of the Sonic-Cult forums, essentially slamming the server's bandwidth - leaving it to hit it's "per-month quota" limit in only a couple of days). He did this for at least two, or three months straight.

Once that calmed down, Sonic-Cult members frequently exploited security holes in Mooglecavern's phpBB when they were bored enough, screwing with the forum as they felt the need (which is the entire reason MoogleMB has been relocated to Proboards for nearly two years as Kulock works on finding and implementing a more secure alternative). They would also flood #srb2 at times, the IRC channel where the bulk of Mooglecaverners would hang out at the time. They would use proxies, making it difficult to keep them banned. They have also employed similiar tactics against other websites, including Teamartail, Secrets of Sonicteam, and the SRB2 Forums. More recently, I've heard they did the same thing to the ASSembler forums after the Sonic X-Treme hoax stuff.

I'd hardly say I'm afraid Sonic-Cult. Infact, I cackle at just how dead Sonic-Cult has become without Pachuka to score insider stuff from the friends he made at Sega when he was a QA tester. Sure, their forums may be alive and kicking, but the website itself is on life support. (which isn't much better than Mooglecavern.com, but I digress)

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I can verify they did the same thing to the MoFo at one point; after we'd banned Pachuka and then later some "Molaster" character (who was posting crap like "Cream is sexy"), they took Psxphile's account, figured out the password, and used his Mod abilities to wipe out everything from the entire forum. Apparently it was part of some contest to see who could cause the most grief for us (although I don't know the legitimacy of that claim). Fortunately, ezBread had a backup.

Just further evidence that yes, they really are like the bloody mob at times. I think it's calmed down a bit since Pach was arrested, but I really don't know.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

People like that are pretty much the funniest people on the internet. They go around and ruin other people's fun, and make fun of those people for taking the internet too seriously while they are on their high horses and not caring at all -- but if they didn't care at all they wouldn't be DoSing and hacking other sites and forums.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:More recently, I've heard they did the same thing to the ASSembler forums after the Sonic X-Treme hoax stuff.
It was here I was convinced that you have no clue what you're talking about. Borisz makes a point of tempbanning people off the forum for a few days if they try to start bullshit with assembler. We know the guy has a raging erection at the thought of Sonic CulT, there's no point (or fun to be had) provoking him. The folks responsible for DoS-ing him were an unrelated group of hecklers trying to stir up a riot.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

Popcorn wrote:I once e-mailed Ryan Drummond (voice of Sonic in SA1 and SA2) and got a reply. I told him all kinds of stupid shit. It was fairly novel, though.
Mind sharing it with us.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I shared it with the GHZ forums at the time-- as in, back in like 1999 or something, maybe later. I don't have them anymore.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

FlashTHD wrote:
BlazeHedgehog wrote:More recently, I've heard they did the same thing to the ASSembler forums after the Sonic X-Treme hoax stuff.
It was here I was convinced that you have no clue what you're talking about. Borisz makes a point of tempbanning people off the forum for a few days if they try to start bullshit with assembler. We know the guy has a raging erection at the thought of Sonic CulT, there's no point (or fun to be had) provoking him. The folks responsible for DoS-ing him were an unrelated group of hecklers trying to stir up a riot.
Uh-huh. I distinctly remember at the time, being linked to posts on Sonic-Cult were Pachuka discussed the matter with his "sniffits" before they eventually figured out we were viewing their forums (and banned most of us). Pachuka liked to claim he had no relation to the "unrelated group", but that's just a bullshit cover so he could continue to do whatever he wanted. Furthermore, I saw the iframes myself, with my own two eyes. It was as simple as going to the Cult forums - you didn't even have to log in or anything - and doing "view source". Pachuka eventually denied ever having been a part of this, though.

Of course, concerning ASSembler, this is simply what I've heard, and it certain fits the bill of things I've seen the Sonic-Cult do previously; it's like hearing a druggie fresh out of rehab has started to do coke again - the druggie doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because you know he's done this sort of shit before, no matter how much he tells you, "No, I've cleaned up, I swear!"

Regardless of what the Sonic-Cult is now, I will forever remember them as a community full of dicks and script kiddies with nothing better to do than to ruin everybody else's fun, in their quest to become the "Number One" Sonic Fan-site; even if ment forcefully kicking and shoving every other fan-site out of the way, first.