This is why Christianity is made fun of

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

This is why Christianity is made fun of

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/games/

These people seem to have no taste AT ALL, and Justlook at this.
This, unfortunately, is the reason that I have a bad taste in my mouth when I think about this game. I'm going to take a lot of heat for what I'm about to say, but I'm honestly disappointed in the spiritual content of WW. The Great Faeries somewhat resemble the Hindu goddess Shiva. Link gains the ability to "possess" certain objects and even a few specific people. resemble Every few minutes it's "the gods this, and the gods that...", the Windwaker contains "the power of the gods", you get a certain ability from the wind god and the ability to travely quickly through cyclones from the cyclone god, and the Tower of the gods has the G in gods capitalized (yeah I know, it's part of the name but still...), and the two sages when mentioned are said to be praying to the gods. The only redeeming thing from the entire gods issue is in one instance you have to kick the cyclone god's butt (which I really enjoyed). What really did it for me though, was that there is a point in the game where it is required to seek out two sages to pray to the gods for the master sword to be reenergized. The game actually says something along the lines of "your prayers were answered and the master sword regained some of its power!" And for people whom would try to say "oh it's just fantasy" try talking to your pastor about it and see what he says... be sure to tell him about the Temple of the gods and the two wind gods, and the praying sages. But I'm a "thou shalt have no other gods before me" kinda guy, so I took this game back and asked for a refund. Yes, I've already been criticized for this, and surprisingly mostly from Christians. For those that think a 2 is too harsh, I would have given this a 1 except for the fact that I felt this game didn't deserve to be placed in the ranks of Diablo and Grand Theft Auto III. If it weren't for the praying bit, I'd have given this a 3 and would probably still have the game.

Overall take: Negative

I actually wanted to like this game, it does everything right except for one key matter. Like I said, I'm a little disappointed in Windwaker, because Zelda had always been a little ambiguous about where the magic or power came from. Some could say that it could easily be turned into a parallel of Christianity. As a matter of fact, in the Japanese manual to A Link to the Past on the Super Famicom it showed a picture of Link kneeling before a crucified Christ. I'd love to find a picture of it.
Last edited by M.C.Dillinger on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.C.Dillinger
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Re: This is why Christianity is made fun of

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

An overzealous opinion begets an overzealous response, I suppose. They're being a little too critical, yes, but so are you, I think. Just let'em be. There's a hundred of these sites out there and it'd be great if people didn't actively roam the internet ready to go, "HAHA, STUPID CHRISTIANS".

But hey, what do I know? I'm one of'em. I won't force my opinions or views, or abstain from a game like Wind Waker, but, hey, whatever.

aso

Post by aso »

I've browsed this site before. Amusing stuff.

To note, the reviews aren't bad. They'll object to stuff they find or think others will find morally offensive, sure, but they'll also go into detail about the actual weight of other game factors. So they at least try to give it a fair shake.

SH4 review!
Storywise, while interesting, SH4 isn't quite as deep as Silent Hill 2, but thankfully not quite as offensive as Silent Hill 3
Not quite as gruesome as SH3, but it's still a must avoid for young children or the easily squeemish.
The game continues the story of the Wish House Cult with all the blasphemous nonsense and child-abuse present in Silent Hill 3. Unlike it's predecessor, however, Silent Hill 4 makes note of the fact that the cult members were deceived by Satan into THINKING they were worshiping God.
While not as uncontionably offensive and blasphemous as Silent Hill 3, this is still a Silent Hill game.
Man, with all of the talk this guy puts on about Silent Hill 3, I'm highly disappointed that there is no actual review.
Last edited by aso on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Re: This is why Christianity is made fun of

Post by Segaholic2 »

As a matter of fact, in the Japanese manual to A Link to the Past on the Super Famicom it showed a picture of Link kneeling before a crucified Christ. I'd love to find a picture of it.
Is this for real?

M.C.Dillinger

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

I guess this was a bad topic
Is this for real?
To quote G.I.R "I don't know *crazy screams*"

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:An overzealous opinion begets an overzealous response, I suppose. They're being a little too critical, yes, but so are you, I think. Just let'em be. There's a hundred of these sites out there and it'd be great if people didn't actively roam the internet ready to go, "HAHA, STUPID CHRISTIANS".
It isn't their religion that humors me, nor is it the criticalness of their opinions, but the fact that their sole criterion towards rating games is the quantity of anti-Christian slander they contain, even moreso that a Christian site would even have a games section in the first place.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Ritz wrote:It isn't their religion that humors me, nor is it the criticalness of their opinions, but the fact that their sole criterion towards rating games is the quantity of anti-Christian slander they contain, even moreso that a Christian site would even have a games section in the first place.
I reckon it's better they have a games review section than assume they're all equally the devil's work.

There are honestly going to be people out there who will not enjoy a game if it's too conflicting with their religious beliefs, and these reviews do seem to do a great job of accomodating them.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Maybe, but I think their self-righteousness and belief that only they can be right is more than a little tiresome, annoying, and occasionally dangerous.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

blah blah blah religion blah blah blah war blah blah blah

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/display ... pos=-11328

Also, this made me chuckle.
Parental guidance is suggested. Also, a talk with your kids about how some things you can do in this game shouldn't be repeated in real life wouldn't hurt.
3 guesses which review this was taken from. No cheating.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

On a totally unrelated note, I want to point out that Christians priests used to get married, but it was banned because the greedy Vaticano wanted to stay with the priests money after they died. Besides, that way they didn’t have to give any economical help to priests widows.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Crazy Penguin wrote:
Parental guidance is suggested. Also, a talk with your kids about how some things you can do in this game shouldn't be repeated in real life wouldn't hurt.
3 guesses which review this was taken from. No cheating.
Super Mario Strikers? I know I've hurt myself many a time trying to imitate Mario's crazy sick antics.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Arcade wrote:On a totally unrelated note, I want to point out that Christians priests used to get married, but it was banned because the greedy Vaticano wanted to stay with the priests money after they died. Besides, that way they didn’t have to give any economical help to priests widows.
You are confused.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Ritz wrote:
BlazeHedgehog wrote:An overzealous opinion begets an overzealous response, I suppose. They're being a little too critical, yes, but so are you, I think. Just let'em be. There's a hundred of these sites out there and it'd be great if people didn't actively roam the internet ready to go, "HAHA, STUPID CHRISTIANS".
It isn't their religion that humors me, nor is it the criticalness of their opinions, but the fact that their sole criterion towards rating games is the quantity of anti-Christian slander they contain, even moreso that a Christian site would even have a games section in the first place.
The fact is that some Christians believe that anti-Christian concepts can be damaging and would rather avoid such things altogether. It's sort of like how some atheists are terrified that someone might try to hold a public religious display or approach them on the street and mention that there are actually religions out there.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

You know, I actually went and scanned the review in this topic's original post and I can't see why MC found this so incredible/inflammatory as to warrant a new thread.

He has a review of the gameplay part of the game. Where he gives a 5 out of 5. Yes, it's short and not incredibly detailed, but you can see he liked the game. Hey, his opening sentence is "Flawless." Apparently this means he has no taste AT ALL (although calling Windwaker flawless may mean he has a pretty weird taste).

Then he rates other factors that the readers of the site, most likely Christian parents trying to determine what's a good proper game to get their kids, would be interested in. Here's where he finds objectionable stuff and docks the game. You got worked up about this because the guy is talking about what the game contains that he finds objectionable to his religion? I don't see how this accounts as bad taste rather than him judging things from his religious perspective.

He does go a bit zany with the "thou shalt have no other gods before me... not even virtual gods in a video game!". I'm a Christian and don't plan on bowing down and worshipping any gods I encounter in video games or the real world for that matter, so his comments don't apply to me. You're obviously not a Christian, so I don't even see why you'd care. But some of the readers might want to know that.

Also, I enjoy running over virtual hookers with virtual cars in a virtual world in Grand Theft Auto. And searching for sailors.

M.C.Dillinger

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

You know, I actually went and scanned the review in this topic's original post and I can't see why MC found this so incredible/inflammatory as to warrant a new thread.
I thought The open forum a new topic for discussion. I already said that this was a bad topic and I will be more cautious with religion from now on.

You're obviously not a Christian
My favorite quote sure is...

P.S. it's "M.C." not "MC"

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

If you worship real life God, you mostly get nothing. If you (virtually) worship (virtual) God in a videogame, you would get something useful at least. In most cases you even don't have to pay (virtual) God reps for getting a good; in real world you have. And down here christians (and sect derivatives) are 98.2% or more of the population, and I'm (arguably) one of them.

Also, what the fuck am I talking about? Anything and everything popular (TV shows, games, mags, etc.) is criticized by the Catholic Church as hazardous Devil's work.

It is totally possible that some lil' kid would want to play GTA for the really fun gameplay, but why would he/ she want to play SH4? Do them like nightmarish game atmosphere or what?

"Oh, and after I made my 5yo brother play SH4 and RE4, I showed him some zoophilic pr0n and then we went out to take some panty shots of hot girlies in downtown".
As painful as it is, I agree with SS, but this thread at least got to be enjoyable, so keep it :U: .

EDIT:
Double-S- wrote:He does go a bit zany with the "thou shalt have no other gods before me... not even virtual gods in a video game!". I'm a Christian and don't plan on bowing down and worshipping any gods I encounter in video games or the real world for that matter, so his comments don't apply to me. You're obviously not a Christian, so I don't even see why you'd care. But some of the readers might want to know that.
That kind of readers have these:

Alternatively they shuldn't play games at all.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I am a moderator and I am giving this thread my official stamp of approval because Christianity always deserves to be made fun of. The website is a pile of nonsensical bullshit and such nonsensical bullshit should not be exempt from criticism just because somebody happens to believe in any of it.
Then he rates other factors that the readers of the site, most likely Christian parents trying to determine what's a good proper game to get their kids, would be interested in. Here's where he finds objectionable stuff and docks the game. You got worked up about this because the guy is talking about what the game contains that he finds objectionable to his religion?
I'm all for people believing whatever the hell they like but they also have to accept that people are occasionally going to disagree with them. I think religious belief is ridiculous, but if people wanna go with it, fine; what I take offence to here is people using their crazy-ass delusion as a foundation to criticise something (in this case video games), because it is, I feel, a plainly useless basis upon which to criticise something. Dillinger, I assume, agreed with me here, and while maybe the website isn't quite incendiary (entertaining) enough to warrant posting, I don't think anyone's right to attack his criticism of the theory behind it.
me. You're obviously not a Christian, so I don't even see why you'd care. But some of the readers might want to know that.
That's besides the point. It's a stupid website and Dill was saying so.
Last edited by Popcorn on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I'm a mod, and I stand behind my previously made point.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Delphine wrote:I'm a mod, and I stand behind my previously made point.
I was with you on the 'religion' part, but you lost me with 'war'.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Heh, I'm with Delph in both.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Ah, well, I left off blah blah politics.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

I like that one too!!
Should I add to the list "social violence"?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

You've got something brown on your nose there, Zara.