The Official World Cup Thread (like it or not).

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

The Official World Cup Thread (like it or not).

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Well, today marks the start of the 18th (I think) World Cup, the greatest sportive event from ever (somehow, the Olympics aren't as popular). I tought for a while if it would be worth starting a thread about it, since most americans hardly care about the event. Immediatly, I remembered there's a lot of people here from places where soccer is actually played (the brits, specially). So, here it is. Now how to start...
Oh yea. So, the first game was Germany vs. Costa Rica. The hometeam lost to 4X2. Pretty embarrassing for them, and stuff.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Because the Olympics suck.

Also, Germany was the home team. And they won 4-2. And stuff.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

My dad's a huge soccer fan since he lived in Brazil for quite a while. The World Cup is his every-four-year obsession.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I watched it back in '96 cause my second cousin/uncle... well I'm not sure what he is exactly. My great uncle's kid, but he is like 15 years older than me. Anyway, he was staying with us at the time and he watched it. It was quite entertaining, but I never watch sports anymore, hell I never watch tv anymore. Unless I download the episodes a few days after they air.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I'm not a sports person, but I did watch the 2004 World Cup, if not to cheer for my native country of Korea.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I got up at seven this morning to go see England v. Paraguay at a friend's house. It was pretty boring, as the only goal happened about four minutes in. Then I crashed and slept through an apparently great Trinidad and Tobago v. Sweeden game. I've probably maxed out on effort to see the Cup and will now catch it when I can. I am excited for Korea v. France, though.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I hate the World Cup. It makes the riff-raff unruly.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

your icon makes that statement funny. I have no love for soccer, as the staple sport that all American children are basically forced to play for the first 10 years of their lives (that or fucking T ball) I was bewildered as to why I was forced to play this methodic and cruel game. I'm glad though that it's a chance for a couple players on each team to shine while the others feel like poop for not being able to have a talent for a game they are forced to take part in by their loving and supporting parents. These are kids here after all. Soccer often has a habit of degrading into a 4th grade school yard rumble and is an excuse for peoples of all nationalities to riot. That said, some of the soccer stunts are pretty cool. However there are only so many ways you can make a guy kicking a ball amazing.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Radrappy wrote:your icon makes that statement funny. I have no love for soccer, as the staple sport that all American children are basically forced to play for the first 10 years of their lives (that or fucking T ball) I was bewildered as to why I was forced to play this methodic and cruel game. I'm glad though that it's a chance for a couple players on each team to shine while the others feel like poop for not being able to have a talent for a game they are forced to take part in by their loving and supporting parents. These are kids here after all. Soccer often has a habit of degrading into a 4th grade school yard rumble and is an excuse for peoples of all nationalities to riot. That said, some of the soccer stunts are pretty cool. However there are only so many ways you can make a guy kicking a ball amazing.
I bet you were picked last on all of your teams.

GO UKRAINE!

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

Light Speed wrote:I watched it back in '96 cause my second cousin/uncle... well I'm not sure what he is exactly.
Neo Yi wrote:I'm not a sports person, but I did watch the 2004 World Cup, if not to cheer for my native country of Korea.
Man, were you both watching the olympics or what? Because '96 was Atlanta ('94 was USA WC, '98 was France WC) and '04 was Atenas ('02 was Korea-Japan WC). What a mess.

About the current sport(s) event, I'm simply depressed that the Argentine team seems to suck hard. The recent match against Costa de Marfil (whatever it's named in english) showed how we all suck: my only hope is that this turns better with some players and/ or positions changin', but I'm not really high on that either.
Well, I'm not really fond on this, so I don't really care that much.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

One bad thing about the World Cup is that there's hardly any space for new champions. Of course, if I say this anywhere in Brazil, chances are I'll get my ass kicked (metaphorically speaking). Also, it serves as a great distraction for the country's problems- who will care with social irregularities when their team is "fighting" for the sixth title?
It's pretty sad.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Man, were you both watching the olympics or what? Because '96 was Atlanta ('94 was USA WC) and 04 was Atenas ('02 was Korea-Japan WC). What a mess.
2002, 2004, who cares?
All I cared was the team I was rooting for.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I'd pay more attention if Scotland ever actually qualified ever, but that happens like a few times a century so blah to it. I'll probably watch a few of the big games this time I guess.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I guess it was probably '98 then. France was the host country and they won, you tell me.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Popcorn wrote:I hate the World Cup. It makes the riff-raff unruly.
Agreed, chavs seem to multiply during the World Cup season. Seriously, I wanted to go for a quiet walk for once, but there are skinheaded, painted, noisy, smelly chavs at every corner.

And we played a shit game yesterday!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yeah, you did. Go home!

You should kill your chavs.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Brazillian Cara wrote:Also, it serves as a great distraction for the country's problems- who will care with social irregularities when their team is "fighting" for the sixth title?
It's even worse here: we had at least four or five big troubles in here some 4 days ago, then suddenly there's no covering of anyhing that doesn't have a ball and/ or Lionel Messi in it ("beaten up grannies? kidnapped women? raped children? WTF r U talkin' about, man?").
This is far worse than anything else I've ever seen in my life.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

The thing that gets me about the Fifa World Cup--well, one of many things-- is that it's meant to 'unite the countries', you know, get everyone together under one cause and all that. This is such a bald-faced lie I am perpetually amazed that anyone has the balls to claim it. It's an global competition between countries that intensifies and actively creates tensions between different peoples, not removes it; European football fans in particular take the sport so violently seriously, warpaint and all, that you may as well claim that an every-man-for-himself world war would 'unite the world under a common goal'. It may well give us a common goal, but it's one that by its very nature must come at the cost of other nations. And every time I see a car with a bunch of flailing England flags dangling out of its windows I wonder if some (most) of the fans haven't noticed that we're not at war.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Believe me you European folks are the most socially adapted soccer peace makers of all times. At least compared to us.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I think when people say the World Cup "unites the countries", they mean, it unites each country. To itself. National pride, and all that.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

James McGeachie wrote:I'd pay more attention if Scotland ever actually qualified ever, but that happens like a few times a century so blah to it. I'll probably watch a few of the big games this time I guess.
So they didn't make it this year? Too bad. What with the Red Sox breaking their curse (note: I don't watch baseball, but I do live in MA), I was hoping Scotland would break theirs. It was almost funny how well it worked in '98, though.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Also, the USA got SERVED.

All the Czech have is soccer, though, and they're not even the best at it.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

I thought it was funny that the US got served. I was less chuffed by the results of the Japan-Australia match...3 goals in 8 minutes? What the hell?? This is soccer! If Japan scores one goal and keeps it until the last 8 minutes, they should WIN!

Who's up next?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Also, the USA got SERVED.

That and uber hot women.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Light Speed wrote:
Baba O'Reily wrote:Also, the USA got SERVED.

That and uber hot women.
They're sort of like Brazil Jr.