Sony and MS want you to buy a Nintendo Wii

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
CE

Post by CE »

Does the character in the game really matter all that much to you? Isn't that all just a superficial layer around a game's mechanics?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I for one was attracted to the character of Sonic before I could even play videogames, way back in the dizzle. He was the colourful, grinning avatar of my childhood inspiration. I could sit and pick holes in the gameplay of the games for hours, and I'm sure I'll tire of them completely one day, but I'll never, EVER stop loving the character.

So yeah, that shit matters.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

CE wrote:Does the character in the game really matter all that much to you? Isn't that all just a superficial layer around a game's mechanics?
Yes. It matters to a lot of people. Hoards of mostly bad but well meaning fanfic/art prove this.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Just to clarify, I am not one of those people.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Of course the characters and environment matter. If they didn't, we'd all be happily playing the adventures of Mr Circle in Colourless Nondescript Block Land.

One of the biggest goals of most modern games is to immerse you in a fictional universe. I'm just kind of tired of being immersed in the same universes, over and over again, only this time with a waterpack or a spatula or a controller that reacts to my palm temperature or whatever else.

Not that Mario Galaxy and Prime 3 don't look awesome, mind you.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Esrever wrote:Of course the characters and environment matter. If they didn't, we'd all be happily playing the adventures of Mr Circle in Colourless Nondescript Block Land.
That actually sounds like it might be fun. I'm not too worried about new titles out of Nintendo. They are figuring out new ways to use the controller, and I am sure they will eventually come out with all new titles. I am just happy for the 3rd party support because pretty much every game I own for GameCube is either a 1st party game, a game that came out on all three systems, or Viewtiful Joe. Actually, I take that back, I got RE4 and Symphonia as well. Still though, Nintendo pretty much carried the GameCube, and then abandoned it a year ago.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Sorry to double post, but it seems like no one cares anymore and it doesn't have to do with my previous topic. Anyway, this was pretty funny I thought. These guys really think the average retarded gamer that bought all those PS2's are going to see how much better the PS3 is and want to buy it? From what I've heard, the PS3 really won't be any better than the 360 graphically and probably in terms of raw power anyway. Plus the way he put it just makes him sound like an ass.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The thing is, Ken isn't entirely lying. PS3 really IS a good deal. I mean, a stand alone bluray player goes for about 500 bucks right now. The problem is that most consumers aren't ready to buy a media player that still costs that much. They'd rather until the technology gets cheaper, just like they did with DVDs.

But the PS3 is trying to "force" them to early-adopt the new format before it becomes more reasonably priced. And its showing in their console's pricetag, even though Sony must be taking a huge loss themselves just to get the price THAT low.

The PS2 really came along at the right time in the DVD lifecycle. They'd been around long enough for the price to come down... the world was ready for a "cheap" DVD player and the PS2 was basically it. But this time, Sony is trying to LAUNCH a new media format with their console. Personally, I think this is a massive mistake.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I am guessing stand alone blu-ray players will go for around the price of the HD-DVD players, 1000 dollars. So yeah, in that sense it is a good deal, but no one gives a damn about blu-ray. From just a console standpoint it is really comparable to the 360 on the hardware end, and most likely in whatever its online service ends up being.

We'll see how many sell I guess.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

CE wrote:Does the character in the game really matter all that much to you? Isn't that all just a superficial layer around a game's mechanics?
If Sega has proved one thing, is that a bad game can sell well if people loves the character.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Blu-Ray is a bit pointless. We don't use all of the storage space on current DVDs in most games. Blu-ray is just overkill. And overly expensive one at that.

Dr Kintobor

Post by Dr Kintobor »

I'm definitely getting a Wii.
It's very sneaky that Sony and Microsoft are getting pally with Nintendo but will later turn on them when the 3rd console is out of the way. Nintendo need to be careful.
The price is the factor in sucess. Wii's low price will get parents who don't know what to buy their kids on board, while £350+ for a PS3 is way too high and of course with 360, people may stick with a PC. That's what I've done.

Ryan the Game Master

Post by Ryan the Game Master »

CE wrote:That's un-Wii-sonable. The Wii-mote is a Wii-lly Wii-markable Wii-y to Wii-mind the video game industr-Wii that Wii-packaging existing games with photo-Wii-lism Wii-l not create Wii-peatable Wii-vonue. O-Wii-ginal games is Wii-quired.
You, sir, win. :lol:

CE

Post by CE »

Delphine wrote:
Yes. It matters to a lot of people. Hoards of mostly bad but well meaning fanfic/art prove this.
But does it matter to <b>you</b>?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

If it didn't I wouldn't have made the point.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Dr Kintobor wrote:I'm definitely getting a Wii.
It's very sneaky that Sony and Microsoft are getting pally with Nintendo but will later turn on them when the 3rd console is out of the way. Nintendo need to be careful.
The price is the factor in sucess. Wii's low price will get parents who don't know what to buy their kids on board, while £350+ for a PS3 is way too high and of course with 360, people may stick with a PC. That's what I've done.
Yeah, they announced the price today. GBP 425. I am too lazy to look up the conversion, but I believe I read somewhere that is like 709 dollars or something. Also they didn't seem to mention a dumbed down version.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Jubblies can, quite frankly, make or break a game.

That managed to turn what was a shitfest into something worth remembering.

And fuck this game. Nobody even gives two shits about it:

For fuck's sake, they don't even have noses!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Is that a screenshot from Rumble Roses 1 or 2? Cause I heard both were pretty crappy. By the way, did you ever play BMX XXX? Jubblies can't save every game.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Maybe if they weren't censored they could've!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

They weren't censored on the Xbox or GameCube, and they didn't even need to be unlocked on the GameCube. They did not save that game.