"Super Paper Mario" - new Gamecube title

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
James McGeachie

"Super Paper Mario" - new Gamecube title

Post by James McGeachie »

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2006/gc/index.html

I'm pretty shocked, this wasn't shown at the conference at all but it actually looks like it probably has the most potential out of everything I've seen from E3 so far. A new sidescrolling Mario (the game doesn't look to be an RPG) which actually has a unique art style and none of this horrible low poly 3d model rubbish of NSMB.

Colour me extremely surprised, this has shocked me even more than Yoshi's Island 2 and Mario Galaxy being shown.

Last edited by James McGeachie on Wed May 10, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Re: "Super Paper Mario" - new Gamecube title

Post by Baba O'Reily »

James McGeachie wrote:A new sidescrolling Mario (the game doesn't look to be an RPG)
Are you being optimistic, or have you just never heard of Paper Mario/Super Mario RPG before?

Anyways, it looks really promising.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Can we keep all this Nintendo stuff in one thread? This forum isn't that big and we don't need a new thread for each individual game Nintendo's showing. That goes the same for the other major companies.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

This... this is... this is the kind of game I have been looking for for oh-so-long! A fully sophisicated 2D platformer on a current or next generation console using high resolution 2D sprites and loads of polygonal elements. I am truly in love! That is the kind of game I plan on making when/if I get into the industry. Unbelievable! Now for Sonic to get a game like that. Forget 3D sprites ala Sonic Rush, I want 2D sprites in polygonal worlds!

James McGeachie

Re: "Super Paper Mario" - new Gamecube title

Baba O'Reily wrote:
James McGeachie wrote:A new sidescrolling Mario (the game doesn't look to be an RPG)
Are you being optimistic, or have you just never heard of Paper Mario/Super Mario RPG before?

Anyways, it looks really promising.
I own Paper Mario on Gamecube and have played through SMRPG, yes. Did you watch the video? This looks nothing like those at all. Every piece of footage is pure sidescrolling, or at least mainly focused on classic platforming action.
Can we keep all this Nintendo stuff in one thread? This forum isn't that big and we don't need a new thread for each individual game Nintendo's showing. That goes the same for the other major companies.
This is a Gamecube game, it's the kind of thing that's going to be skipped over easily with all the Wii hype but it looks more interesting than any of the Wii titles to me.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Wow. That's probably the biggest surpise so far. That actually looks a lot more interesting to me than most of the next-gen titles at the moment. The visual style is really imaginative and unique. And there I was thinking the GameCube was dead!

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Nintendo is making a Sudoku videogame?? I mean, yeah, Sudoku is fun and all, but I don't think I'd pay 30 bucks to play it on the Nintendo DS (if I ever get one).

Is it just me, or do the graphics in Yoshi's Island 2 look flat-fuck boring? Where's the pretty colors and oddball backgrounds from the first game? The art design is one of the only things I really like about the original game.

DackAttac

I got a new computer and a bright future in sales

Post by DackAttac »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Nintendo is making a Sudoku videogame?? I mean, yeah, Sudoku is fun and all, but I don't think I'd pay 30 bucks to play it on the Nintendo DS (if I ever get one).
There's some considerable distance between finding Sudokus fun and being flat out addicted to them. This is "your fix... to go!" It'd be like looking over your car window and seeing someone smoking a joint behind the wheel of a 4×4.

I do love a good gridfest, but it'd better be able to automatically generate new ones and be super-bargain priced (I wouldn't shell out the thirty, either.) Otherwise people would be better off with Brain Age, which had hundreds of puzzles included.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Seems Computer based...Mario enters the Matrix.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

There are ten screenshots here:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2006/g ... /ss06.html

What on earth is going on with the giant pixel Mario?

They have the video too:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2006/gc/index.html

This is really bizarre. It looks like someone's experimental Mario school art project.
Last edited by Esrever on Tue May 09, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I just love how Nintendo makes references to the old games!! I wish SonicTeam did that!! >_<

ABOUT TIME!

Seems Peach will be playabel here! cool, also This game Seems to be more action oriented! or so it seems.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

If I had to venture a guess, a bizarre power-up or a mini-game.

Part of me wonders if the "new" gaming generation reacts to Mario's frequent delvings into nostalgia and self-reference as obnoxious as we all found... let's say, to pick an example, Shadow's gun. I do love the fact that they bring back old characters just as frequently as they invent new ones. And the addition of classic tracks in Mario Kart was more useful than showy, but stuff like this is starting to feel a little pompous.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Dack, totally off topic, but is that Neil Flynn in your avatar?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Super Paper Mario, New Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Galaxy, and Yoshi Island 2.

It's suddenly feels strange to see the annoucement of 4 freaking new Mario platformers after years of suffering from spin-off sports and parties.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I adore those mathematical clouds.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I think it looks like a lot of fun based on the screens. Plus I haven't really played a platformer sidescroller in oh so long.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Looking good! I'm actually more excited about this than I am New Super Mario Bros. Really digging the graphics.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Popcorn wrote:I adore those mathematical clouds.
They remind me of the drifting schematic backgrounds found in the Metal Gear series's VR settings.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I'm more tempted to call this "Mario's Acid Trip", given the math skies and geometric everything and Bowser/Peach hooking up and Mario's dry expression on his face while running around. Who in Nintendo was smoking what when they came up with this?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't know, but they should smoke some more of it!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Super Paper Mario, New Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Galaxy, and Yoshi Island 2.
WHAT

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Super Mario Galaxy

Mario in space? Why not? Can't possibly be any dumber than a 8th version of Mario Party or the upcoming basketball Mario game.

Also, Super Paper Mario looks awesome. There's no way Intelligent Systems could screw this one up.

James McGeachie

j-man wrote:
WHAT
The Wii game, essentially the "Mario 128" people were waiting on for years. It was shown at the Nintendo conference yesterday, you can find videos on Gamespot and what not, just do a search for" Super Mario Galaxy".

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Here's some new gameplay footage. You shake the controller and he apparently spins.

Also, the second Phoenix Wright game is coming to america. As in, the second for GBA, not the fourth one.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

You know, I miss the times where we shoot Mario fanboys...of course that was before Sega crashed and burned and the dead copse was sold to a Pachinko company.

Mario has nothing special; he just does everything, from killing bugs, to 3D, to being a doctor, to rescuing a princess a lot of times...and even using a stupid water device instead of jumping over enemies.

Mario has a Kart game and is the best, Sonic has a Kart game and its sucks cause Sonic has speed. Sonic is cool, Mario is just a parody, is a fat plunder with a big moustache who is addict to hallucinogens mushrooms. Being born with a more defined personally and things he can do and he can’t really end killing Sonic.

for Sega long run, Sonic should have been a generic, like Mario..