"Super Paper Mario" - new Gamecube title

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Senbei wrote:Incidentally, did anyone else read the Archie adaptation of and sequel to NiGHTS? It isn't bad
Are you <b>blind?</b>

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

I am.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Kishi wrote:If the NiGHTS comic is what happens when Sam Maxwell is allowed to cut loose, he should be kept tightly bound at all times.
What exactly didn't you like? I thought his stuff was heaps better than Galan's work in the first 3 issues. Yeah, that was bland.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

What exactly didn't you like? I thought his stuff was heaps better than Galan's work in the first 3 issues. Yeah, that was bland.

Are you kidding me? Galan at least made the characters look on-model. Maxwell gave them oversized anime eyes, fugly faces, and stretched their bodies into stick figure porportions.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

The Doc wrote:I am.
Too much time spent vacationing at the palms?

And the NiGHTS comic is far too depressing to read.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The second trilogy of Nights comics were mind-numbingly bad, thanks to the go-nowhere plotting from Bollers and the hideous artwork from Maxwell.

But the first trilogy was really good! Dan Slott is a wonderful writer, and Spaz and Galan were a great team for visuals. I don't think Nights really NEEDED a comic book in the first place, but at least the one he got was a good read.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Dan "She-Hulk" Slott wrote the NiGHTS comic?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I think he did a Sonic story in one of the specials too.

Is the third She-Hulk trade paperback out yet?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Dan Slott wrote the original 3 issue Nights mini series. He also wrote the Sonic Super Special story where Sonic has to fight a godzilla-like version of his father in an alternate dimension. Even though it sounds ridiculous when you summarize it like that, I actually thought it was a pretty good story. I think he wrote that 8 page Sailor Moon parody, as well.

Dan Slott wrote for a lot of "funny animal" books before he finally cracked into the superhero biz.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Apparently the Ren & Stimpy time-travel comic he did was really good.
Dan Slott on another message board wrote:and, my ALL-TIME favorite (good luck finding THIS one)...

REN & STIMPY SPECIAL #3: MASTERS OF TIME & SPACE
(There's just no way to REALLY describe this one... It's a 48pg. Interactive Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story that ALSO involved time travel. The book kinda folds in on itself, making you read scenes you've already read before-- but as different SETS of time-traveling Rens & Stimpies-- and, each time you read a scene AGAIN, you've learned more information in the interum, so all the dialogue takes on new meanings. It's really weird. And (I think) funny. The bizzare thing? Even though it's only 48pgs. long, one of the possible five possible stories is actually 56 pages long. Funky, huh? It took me 6 months and LOTS of flowcharts to make sure it all worked! This one is 48pgs. of pure dedication and love! If you like my stuff-- THIS is the one to hunt down!)

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Ah Ren and Stimpy...the first two seasons ruled...but the third one...well I have to see it, they said me some episodes arent that bad.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Season three is really hit-and-miss. There are some really great episodes, such as when Ren becomes a cartoon producer for Stimpy's animation project, and one in which Ren is split into an evil Ren and an indifferent Ren (he has no good side, apparently). Most of the season is mediocre, but not too bad overall.

Don't touch seasons 4 and 5. Just don't.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Was the APC any good?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The adult party cartoon got off to a terrible start in the first episode, but some of the other episodes (especially the unaired ones) were quite good.

Mind you, we are only talking about like five or six episodes total, here, so it's kind of hard to guess how well it would have turned out in a full season.

That choose your own adventure things was really crazy. I wish I had a copy of it myself. It doesn't surprise me that it took that much planning!

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

Senbei wrote:Screw a sequel, man; I want a port of the original so I can actually PLAY the goddamn thing.
Agreed. Yeah, I'm fucking late for the party, so what?

Since the franchise was sold to some unknown western-side people (or at least that says here), I can only pray for NiGHTS' future.

Also, I couldn't stop myself of puking over my monitor for that NiGHTS "comic". You know, visuals aren't the most important sometimes, but this travesty wasn't really necessary.
Yoshi Topsy Turvy's the lamest bullshit.

EDIT: Do any of you actually believe in this?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, I do, actually. I thought it would take Yuji Naka leaving the company (or close enough now, they just need him out of the way so he has no leeway to bitch) before we saw a sequel or remake. As soon as I heard about the Prope shit, my first thought was "This would be a perfect time to make a new Nights since that moron Naka won't be able to stop them".

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Of course, other rumours have also indicated that he'd be DIRECTING the thing himself. So who knows. Apparently EGM is also supposed to mention something about a new NiGHTS game in their next issue, so there's no denying that the rumours are strong, at the very least.

But at this point, I'd be happy if we got just some kind of official acknowledgement of NiGHTS's tenth anniversary.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Heh, speaking of, I got to play NiGHTS in the gaming room at AB this weekend. It was pretty awesome to be playing it again -- although they didn't have the big-ass controller that came with the game, so my thumb was hurting after a while.

It would be ridiculously awesome if we saw a NiGHTS remake, but I'm not holding my breath.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

There's a scan from Famitsu with some new Super Paper Mario screens. There's a desert level and it seems Bowser has his fire-breathing attack. It's looking pretty good.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Seems whoever complained about them changing Mario's SMB1 sprite overalls from red to blue will be happy now.

This game is still looking pretty promising, but I will say I'm really fed up of the whole deliberately retro thing now, there's only so many times I can think "cool, just like the old games" before it grows extremely, extremely repetitive.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

New boss fight video of Super Paper Mario.

Shows Mario fighting against a dragon boss. I like the visual style of the game and this boss certainly looks a lot more challenging than any of the bosses in New Super Mario Bros.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I like the boss' wild googly eyes.

Madamluna

Post by Madamluna »

Wow, that boss battle looks like a lot of fun! I can't wait until this game is released, I just love the Paper Mario style and it looks like it's adapting to the 2D platforming mechanics pretty well.

On the topic of the NiGHTS comic: the first three weren't bad, I liked them a lot, but the second set made me want to jab knitting needles into my eyes. Who thought that art was a good idea? It makes everyone look like misshapen clay monsters. And the plot...I couldn't even make sense of it, didn't it mention something about "dream terrorists?"

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

That boss fight looks great. Reminds me of Colossus #13.