Bitter Nintendo tears

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
CE

Post by CE »

but the main form for the "casuals" to get an easier hand on PS3 is the new "six axis of movement" control technology put into PS3. There are six axis of movement (described as "six degrees of movement" at the Sony pre-E3 conference). <b>It understands roll, pitch and yaw, and "3-dimension acceleration information".</b> You can move it around like a steering wheel, or like a Sit & Spin, or like you're shaking an Etch-A-Sketch, and you can even pull it up and down like you're ringing a bell.
Sounds to me like it's got everything except the Wii's 2D screen positioning. Monkeyball controls is quite possible; fishing and tennis seems doable but difficult and not nearly as intuitive as on the Wii.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Is anyone else watching Nintendo's conference? It's been pretty good so far, SUPER MARIO GALAXY looks pretty impressive, as does Red Steel. Lots of new DS games announced like a Yoshi's Island 2 (a new game, seriously) and other stuff like Diddy Kong Racing and a new Starfox. Tons more interesting things too.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Been watching some of it(people keep interupting me damn it). The Wii looks like a fun system but I can't say I'm completely convinced about it. Still a few of those DS game announcements surprised me(especially Yoshi's Island 2).

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Anyone notice how the new Sonic game was labelled "Hyper Sonic" on the screen?

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Wait, a Yoshi's Island 2? That makes me happy underneath this rather...not to so happy topic. The new PS3 controller only impressive feature to me is that they didn't stick with that damn boomerang-shaped one.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I think the gyroscope thing is a nice touch that may or may not be used. The controller is lighter than the PS2 so the fact that it is there really doesn't hurt at all. Unless you actually care about rumble? I personally have turned off rumble for as long as I can remember, I don't think it makes the game more realistic at all. So you are getting shot at, and while you try to aim to fight back your controller starts vibrating for know reason, which makes it that much harder? Plus it reduces the 360 wireless controllers battery life down to like 10 hours.

Also, will games like Gran Turismo HD be outputting in 1080i or 1080p? This contradicted itself twice. It first said 1080p, then i then p then i again.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I was doing what the Ps3-mote was doing with wario ware and kirby tilt and tumble(played it at the store) before sony even thought "Motion sensor"

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

So, I guess this is the thing we'll be using to play SNES and N64 games on the Wii.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I don't know why, but that is the coolest looking controller I have ever seen. Probably just nostalgia though.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, it's a SNES controller with dual joysticks plunked in.

Hey, wait a minute... OMG Nintendo totally ripped off the dual shock WTF!

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Well thats what I would like to use when playing the new Wii Sonic game.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever wrote:Image
When I think about using that hideous thing, it makes my hands hurt. Couldn't it just have been easier to make a modded GameCube controller that would comfortable without question instead of making a butt-ugly and dysfunctional-looking SNES/PS2 controller hybrid?

It seem to me that every cool thing Nintendo puts out about the Revolution is countered soon after by something that pisses me off about it.

James McGeachie

Haha, it's funny how it seems opinions of this controller are all either at one end of the spectrum or the other, it seems to be completely love or hate. Personally I actually think it looks greeat, I don't know if I'm ever even going to really use it but it's extremely satisfying to see 2 proper analogue sticks on a Nintendo controller. Obviously the positioning is a bit of a Sony rip off but I'd take that over a Gamecube d-pad anyday.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

E3 Nintendo Press Kit.

http://press.nintendo.com/e32k6/index.html

User Name: media
Password: E32006

The only thing here I've bothered to look at is the Super Monkey Ball Adventure zip, which has some surprisingly elaborate maps of the game's 5 worlds and a ton of character pictures. Completely new art style as well, which looks nice for the most part, but I simply can't stand the way the feet are drawn. They're, like, whoosh

EDIT: I totally meant to post this in the Super Paper Mario topic. Oh well.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Why do you suppose Mario Galaxy looks so much better, graphically, than everything else Nintendo is making? Even Metroid Prime 3! The lighting and bump mapping were really something else, considering what they're working with.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Haha, it's funny how it seems opinions of this controller are all either at one end of the spectrum or the other, it seems to be completely love or hate.
The people who are indifferent don't bother to post. :)

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Either that or they have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. All the E3 threads so far have (as usual) consisted of about 2-3 general thoughts that get repeated indefinitely with slightly different wording by dozens of different people. I'm going to start deleting threads that begin with: "I pretty much agree with ___".
Why do you suppose Mario Galaxy looks so much better, graphically, than everything else Nintendo is making?
Have they shown anything other than that one screenshot?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

There's some gameplay footage that you can view at Gametrailers.com. It's not much to go on, but at the very least it demonstrates some pretty spiffy looking lighting and bump-mapping effects that appear to be in a whole different league than the rest of the Wii titles.

Normally I wouldn't dwell on graphics so much but honestly there's not much else interesting you can say about a few seconds of gameplay footage. I think it appears that you control Mario as you always did, but can also interact with the environment using the remote to hit, press or slice things?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Either that or they have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. All the E3 threads so far have (as usual) consisted of about 2-3 general thoughts that get repeated indefinitely with slightly different wording by dozens of different people. I'm going to start deleting threads that begin with: "I pretty much agree with ___".
Why do you suppose Mario Galaxy looks so much better, graphically, than everything else Nintendo is making?
Have they shown anything other than that one screenshot?
That's kind of how it always goes when new gaming stuff is released though. A thread will quickly jump to 5 pages with nothing but maybe 4 thoughts. I agree that you just shouldn't post though if you have nothing new to add.

The little bit of gameplay I saw of Mario Galaxy didn't look that much better than Sunshine to me. Then again the only footage I saw was while I was watching the Nintendo keynote so it was recorded off a screen. Metroid Prime 3 looks exactly like the other two Metroid Primes except you use the Wiimote now.

Arcade

Re: Bitter Nintendo tears

Post by Arcade »

The DS is the portable console that sold most last year.Second, Sony sold more playstacions 2 than Nintendo sold Gamecubes. Even counting Nintendo Game sales, it seems Nintendo is only winning in the portable consoles Market. So, if the Revolucion or whatever is the name that new Nintendo Console has now, fails and is beaten by other big console, Nintendo is going to be dedicated exclusively to the portable consoles Market.

One more point, since Sony, as far as I know, doesn’t sell videogames, they don’t lose money because of pirate games. When a person buys a playstacion 2, it does it because they can get pirate copies for 5 dollars or less of playstacion 2 games, at least in Latin America.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I think it's safe to say we can disregard everything in Arcade's post.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Can someone explain to me how that would fit over the Wiimote?

James McGeachie

If you're talking about Super Mario Galaxy, then IGN's article explains here.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707184p1.html

There's also 3 gameplay videos captured from the show floor that have just been added to the movies page.

Anyway, basically Mario controls normally using the analogue nunchuk and the A button to jump, but the remote is used for features like grabbing and interacting with objects around you using a little star pointer on the screen, as well as initiating a spin attack. I expect it'll be used for hundreds of different things in the actual game though because they'll surely be wanting Mario to fully showcase the Wii's potential.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Esrever wrote:So, I guess this is the thing we'll be using to play SNES and N64 games on the Wii.

Adorable, stylish, etc. But personally, I'd prefer if they keep most of their games with the Wiimote.

James McGeachie

jenkins wrote: Adorable, stylish, etc. But personally, I'd prefer if they keep most of their games with the Wiimote.
I don't think you're going to have to worry about many (if any at all) new titles using the Classic controller because the remote is pretty much the only reason for anyone to develop for Wii and is essentially the entire point of the system. It appears they only really created this for use with the old games on the virtual console download service, there's been no word if it's even going to ship with the system or not either but it's seeming unlikely.