Square is rushing themselves again

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
jenkins

Square is rushing themselves again

Post by jenkins »

FF not XII

I'm more than a little surprised by the fact that this is already being announced...does anyone have more info on it?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Yeah, there's actually going to be three different Final Fantasy XIII's. Two for PS3, one for a mobile system.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Why two for PS3? Anyone got any info?

I like the look of it, anyway. But then I like the look of every FF game. And then I hate them.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Square Enix Announces a Trio of Final Fantasy XIII games
2:02 Final announcement! For PS3! E3 is so damn exciting sometimes. What is it?!

FINAL FANTASY XIII. FINAL FANTASY XIII. They pulled a serious bait and switch on us. Sword-and-gun-wielding heroine who looks like Yuna, flipping her way around a high-tech, futuristic world. No idea what it was until the end when that NAME popped up. Yoshinori Kitase directing! This is the guy behind all the best ones--VI, VII, VIII, X. Be still my heart.

2:08 Sorry, I jumped the gun--Mr. Kitase was merely presenting. Motomu Toriyama will direct the game. And apparently FFXIII isn't the only game coming out of this universe--there's a, uh, mobile game too. Oh. It's Final Fantasy Agito XIII.

Now it's Fabula Nova Crystallis--"the new tale of the crystal" in Latin. They're big on the Latin today. Whoa, wait, another new game? Another PS3 game?! Final Fantasy Versus XIII? They're emphasizing that in Latin, versus means "to change direction." This is a Tetsuya Nomura game, and he's taking the stage now.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Link doesn't work, and I can't find it on the site.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Link works for me. Right-click, save as, yeah?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlOBLQTo-pY">Check it</a>. Low-res, but I'd say it's at least on par with the FFVII tech demo from last year. Definitely superior to Advent Children, at any rate.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Looks great so far. I especially like the protagonist's design, which is pretty unusual, taking Square's recent track record with characters into account. She looks like MGS3's Boss, only with the sex appeal that being 40 years of age or older generally excludes. I'd hit it.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I don't get the whole two FFXIII game for the PS3. What is the point exactly?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

They know that any fan of the series would shell out twice the cash just to see the whole story. Whatever happened to the multi-disc approach? You know, besides the bloated costs required to manufacture the blu-ray discs.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

It's Persona 2 all over again. Except this time name recognition will ensure both halves of the story make it overseas.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

FF Versus XIII will be headed by Nomura and the teams behind Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts II. This hopefully means that all the angsty crap will be confined to that game (along with Nomura's leather fetish), leaving the main game clean.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I hope Nomura uses this time to make decent character designs, a feat he hasn't done since Final Fantasy X. I can't believe the same guy who designed awesome, well-designed characters like Tifa, Barret, and Cid from FFVIII also designed the zipper parade in Kingdom Hearts 2 or that ugly-as-sin Musashi PS2 game. He's like the Uekawa Yuji of Square; his early designs were great (FFVII, FFVIII, FFX), but now they're gotten boring and even dated.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Has anyone else considered that this means Square is already dropping XII? Of course they'll release it, but I have a feeling that they have a bad feeling about it.

XIII looks amazing: there's the next-gen graphics (naturally), the fantastically futuristic world, more advanced than anything we've seen before, and there's the sweet new character. She certainly walks all over man-whore Vaan or the strikingly unhygenic Ashe (by which I mean it looks like she's picking her nose all the time).

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I'm starting to not give flying fuck about whatever Square-Enix do now, I'm seeing nothing but cash-ins all over the place (what they're doing with FFVII is an absolute joke) and the fact there's going to be several games titled FFXIII is pretty laughable. Of course the main game looks extremely sound visually just now but their games generally always do and that doesn't stop the majority (in recent times at least) from utterly blowing.

Currently the only upcoming title of theirs that I'm really curious about is a space shooter (or sh'mup, if you prefer) I heard they're doing for the 360, simply because the genre is going to be near non-existent next gen so I'm not going to find many other oppertunities to see what can be done with a shooter on the new consoles.

I did hear Treasure are also doing one though, which is very, very pleasing.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

But man, the music in that FFXIII trailer was really, really good.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:I hope Nomura uses this time to make decent character designs, a feat he hasn't done since Final Fantasy X.
You... you thought those were good? Have we forgotten the goddamn belt dress?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Del, give me your light. Together, we can fight the belt dress in my home world!

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Delphine wrote:
Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:I hope Nomura uses this time to make decent character designs, a feat he hasn't done since Final Fantasy X.
You... you thought those were good? Have we forgotten the goddamn belt dress?
I dunno...I kinda liked the belt dress, if only because it was tacky. Tidus was ugly and his pants were terrible, too...but I liked the rest of the designs for the most part. They're at least better than anything since Final Fantasy X, if nothing else.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

Any and all designs before FFVII = fantastical bullshit
Designs from FFVII = God's drawings
Any and all designs after FFVII = Gay-ass CG... sole exception of Rikku-sama:

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Oh, yeah, that's EXCELLENT character design. Why the hell is she wearing a scarf? And the hell are those floofy arm things? She could have used that material to oh, I dunno, MAKE A SHIRT.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

I'm a bit surprised by the new girl's design and finding it difficult to believe it's actually one of Nomura's. His character designs are either a) fairly generic and bland or b) terribly flamboyant and ridiculous. This actually manages to be interesting to the eye without indulging into his zipper and belt fetish to such a great degree (though if you cover up half the girl's face in one shot, you pretty much have Advent Children Cloud). I'll be interested to see if the other character designes follow the same path or if they turn out to be the FFX cast reincarnated.

For the record I find Nomura's character designs to be okay, as long as he shows some restraint and doesn't go crazy like he tends to do ever since The Bouncer and FFX. I still think Amano's character designs were far more interesting considering the various ways you can interpert the appearance of the characters from FF1-6 and FF9. I dunno what it is, but I can actually think of different ways the characters Amano designed may look, where as with Nomura's characters, I can only see them looking that one way Nomura has depicted them.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Timestones wrote:(though if you cover up half the girl's face in one shot, you pretty much have Advent Children Cloud).
From 8 on they use like three different faces. Rinoa, Garnet/Dagger, Yuna, and AC Tifa have the same damn face.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

Well, that's because Rinoa, Garnet, and Yuna are practically Tifa clones, but the problem is essentially the same.