El Viento

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

El Viento

Post by Opa-Opa »

After reading that hentai Valis topic I couldn't stop thinking about El Viento and how it went downhill quickly. It was one of my favourite Mega Drive games and even though Earnest Evans kinda sucked in a very cool way (plus it was hard as hell so I never beat it) I think the series really dropped when they released Annet Futatabi (Annett Again, or something). I don't know, there's just something very wrong with that game, it's not just the fact that it's a Streets of Rage like beat em up, but the cutscenes don't seem to connect with the levels and the enemies on the levels, or even the previous games, as if they made the game and glued the characters there.

Anyway, I'd really like to see more stuff on El Viento around, so I made this:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18694375/

Oh, and the same goes to Alisia Dragoon.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Coincedentally, I was looking up El Viento the other day and came across this website--it seems that the creature that Rastiana rides and the "shell game" boss are both monsters from Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos, to say nothing of Hastur himself, who is apparently one of Cthulu's rival gods. I really don't know anything about that stuff, but of course, finding out that one of my favorite games is now somehow connected to it makes me dreadfully curious.

To say nothing of "H.P. Squidcraft" from Sly Cooper..

I think Anett Futatabi's real problem is that it just sucks outright. The gameplay is terrible and cheap and I couldn't beat the first level boss. The cut scenes in the first game were really cool but it seems like they also were only minimally connected to the levels and enemies as well, and that was really part of the charm of the game, nothing that appeared in the levels made a whole lot of sense.

Here's the only Anett doodle I have handy..

http://www.starquail.com/rothware/rvr67 ... lannet.jpg

I was never able to get into Alisa Dragoon, it didn't click for me like El Viento did.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Wow! That's a cool piece of trivia. There seems to be a fair amount of Lovecraft cameos and homages in games (and movies and books and tv shows and...), and they always intrigue me; a lot of the time, it's just pretty cool to see a visual representation of the weird and wonderful beasts from the Cthulhu mythos. I appreciated that Mi-Go illustration in the linked page; it was interesting AND relevant, even though it was vastly different to my own interpretation.

Oh, and Silv? I suggest following your curiosity. Everyone would benefit from a bit of Lovecraft in their bookcase. He's a little self-indulgent, even formulaic at times, but he doesn't half shit you up.*

*scare you kthx

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Was Earnest Evans part of the El Viento series?

I think I just really miss the happy late 80's / early 90's era of spunky, criminally underdressed girl heroes with flourescent hair. I mean you still get some female protagonists now, but now they're all drab and retarded in accordance with the current fashion. I miss like Popful Mail and Valis and Time Gal. Even when the games sucked, the characters were still lovable.

Plus, in those days, except when necessary for gratiutous panty shots, it was always obvious that the girls were never wearing underwear. Pokey nipples and bare thighs were common even in the most innocent and brightly-colored games. Side boobage was also alot more popular back then.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I miss bikini armor. These are sad times.

Earnest Evans is sort of connected, apparently in the CD version there's a cut scene which introduces Anett as a sacrificial virgin or something, and Earnest rescues her, I guess. Later (this does appear in the cart version) she drives a car you are riding into a wall for some reason. He appears as an older brother/mentor-figure in El Viento and Annet Futatabi, but only in cut scenes.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Re: El Viento

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Is that you shaking your head like a schyzofrenic ADD kid?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

G.Silver wrote:I miss bikini armor. These are sad times.

Earnest Evans is sort of connected, apparently in the CD version there's a cut scene which introduces Anett as a sacrificial virgin or something, and Earnest rescues her, I guess. Later (this does appear in the cart version) she drives a car you are riding into a wall for some reason. He appears as an older brother/mentor-figure in El Viento and Annet Futatabi, but only in cut scenes.
The Earnest Evans game couold be good if he didn't looked like a robot. When I was a kid I really really thought he was a robot, until I played El Viento again and realized that this was never mentioned.

Oh, and yeah, that's me bumping my head Cara.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

The funny thing is in some ways he looks more like a robot than Vectorman, who animates using the exact same technique. I found the game to be extremely uninteresting, looking like a robot is really the least of the game's problems, but I didn't play it until it was really old, I suppose maybe I could have enjoyed it earlier. I don't think it's worth recomending that anyone actually ever play it.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I wasn't aware of this until recently, but there's apparently an Earnest Evans game for the Sega CD, and it's actually, like, good.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

To my knowledge, Earnest Evans was only released on the Mega-CD in Japan. There's a rom supposedly of a US Genesis version floating around, but if it's legitimate, it must have been a port of the CD version. Which would mean that they are, in fact, the same game.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Supposedly the CD version contains an extra stage, and it's also got cut scenes and I assume the music is a little less Z-80. I bought one in Japan for like 100yen because of the El Viento connection, but my time with the cart version was so awful that I never bothered to try playing it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

The US Genesis version is real. I rented it in those good old times where you could rent and beat a game over the weekend. Apparently it's the same game but the CD version has cutscenes, and that's all I remember from an old magazine. I dunno if there's better music or anything like it...