The remarkable sensations of an influential moment.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
One Classy Bloke

The remarkable sensations of an influential moment.

Post by One Classy Bloke »

So the Flaming Lips released a new album a day or so ago, At War With The Mystics. This album is so amazing, that i really have to come somewhere and pour my praise on some forum. Tough luck guys, but this might be a revolution in your lives. Anyway onto the album:

Basicly, it's music from a decade in the future, yet is wonderfully nostalgic. The band class it as "Space Jazz", but i would consider it "Space Amazement".

As per normal, the Lips have kept their wacky style for naming their songs, but they have transformed the music into an impressive explosion of excitment, familiarity and joyment.

The lyrics on some songs have taken a political twist, with some of them completely blatant while others more subtle and metaphorical. The main theme of the album is focused on power and strength, and the various factors of it, such as gaining, losing, holding and suffering from.

Particular songs to point out are:
- The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
- The Sound of Failure
- Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung
- Goin' On

The whole album is extremely solid, and very pleasurable, but is highly addictive. I've listened through the album around 15 times since i got it yesterday. I've decided not to listen to it for a good few days so i don't burn out on it. So i'm gonna rant about it instead. Oops, already did...

But basicly, go buy it.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I'll be seeing the Flaming Lips this year at the carling Weekend, I always wanted to see them since "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots".
I heard the "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" song on the way from work today and it's a real toe-tapper.

One Classy Bloke

I'm seeing them at the Royal Albert Hall, 22nd this month. It's gonna be so freaking rad. It's just a shame more of my friends couldn't get tickets.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I was going to make a topic about this, but I decided not to, because I doubted that there were more than three Flaming Lips fans on the GHZ.

Anyways, I'm not too excited about the incorporation of politics into the music of FL, but whatever. They can follow their muse all the way to the bank.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

I will definitely have to hear this at some point. The Flaming Lips are quite an enjoyable band.

I saw them once.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I never knew much about them but I kinda wanted to listen some album or something since I've heard their great version of Wizard of Oz's "If I Only Had a Brain" in the Stubbs the Zombie soundtrack.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

So you say the music is like futuristic and classed as "space jazz." So is it in any way like the space channel 5 soundtrack? Because if it is I got to check this out.

One Classy Bloke

I've kinda never played Space Channel 5 that much, so i can't really compare the two. Nevertheless, it's still worth checking out.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Majestic Joey wrote:So you say the music is like futuristic and classed as "space jazz." So is it in any way like the space channel 5 soundtrack? Because if it is I got to check this out.
That wasn't space jazz, it was space retro.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Post space retro is ridiculous, though. High musicianship with a keen sense of melody, and yet it never gets too pretentious.