New Super Mario Bros.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
The T

Post by The T »

Segaholic2 wrote:After you beat the game you're given the option to save anywhere, I hear.

My major gripe with the game is the held item. Why the hell do I have to tap the screen to drop it? The Select button does nothing whatsoever, and I'd much rather use that. What a waste.
I would think reaching your thumb over off the buttons would be faster than reaching it up to the select button. And less chance of accidently hitting pause or some other button.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:It seems like they'd prefer everyone to play it straight through in one sitting, like the original Mario Bros forced you to.
I can tell, they stick the Warp Cannons right out in the open on the maps and hide the entrances to them cleverly. I found the entrance to World 2's cannon, but tempting as it was, I wanted to go one world at a time until the end, then mess around and find stuff.

I forgot to mention, it had dawned on me after deciding how stupid the save system was that there was a good reason why the manual went into such detail about how long you can keep the DS in sleep mode.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

The T wrote:I would think reaching your thumb over off the buttons would be faster than reaching it up to the select button.
No, it wouldn't.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I've just completed the first world. I think I found everything, except for the entrance to the warp cannon.

This game is fun! It's very charming. I love all the little touches, like the way the enemies dance to certain parts of the background music. It's also neat to see all of the new level design elements they can use now that they have polygons at their disposal, particularly when they are used to create bending, rocking or rotating terrain. Nothing really revolutionary is going on here, but it's all well executed and incredibly polished. The 2D and 3D elements really do mesh together seemlessly... I'm quite surprised by how good the game wound up looking considering how butt ugly it was during most of its development.

It's not very hard, but honestly, I'm a horrible Mario player so it's not bothering me too much. Claire, who is a serious vet of the franchise, has more complaints in that category. She is already in World Six. But she claims that the difficulty does seem to ramp up in that world. Hmm!

The T

Post by The T »

Segaholic2 wrote:
The T wrote:I would think reaching your thumb over off the buttons would be faster than reaching it up to the select button.
No, it wouldn't.
Well, you're wrong then.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

If you guys can argue both sides, then it obviously is pretty indistinguishable. Therefore neither is really better, either way you have to deal with the touch pad. Basically I'm telling you to be quiet.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

The T wrote:
Segaholic2 wrote:
The T wrote:OMG RED BICYCLES ARE TOTALLY FASTER THAN BLUE BICYCLES
NUH UH IT'S JUST PAINT YOU DOUCHE
FUCK YOU GO GET YOUR BIKE YOU LITTLE BITCH

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Baba's much better at telling people to be quiet.

Provided they listen.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

My copy of New Super Mario Bros was delivered today. So far I've played through the first world and it's very good but a bit easy. The levels are pretty much classic Mario with a few new twists and seem very well designed so far. There seems to be a lot of secrets to find. It doesn't really do anything particularly new and revolutionary but it retains a lot of the charm of earlier Mario games and is a great game.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Personally, I think Nintendo made a good decision going back to the original mario game for the basic game mechanics, then going through each title in the series and adding their gimmicks into the gameplay. It's something I wish Sega would do with their Sonic titles.

That said, I'll be buying this along with a DS lite next month.