New Super Mario Bros.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Egore

Post by Egore »

Kishi wrote:
Egore wrote:My only gripe is the completely uninspired name. Why aren't they changing it? Super Mario Bros. 4, Super Mario Bros.:Subtitle. Anything.
Super Mario World was subtitled "Super Mario Bros. 4" in Japan. If they called this game SMB4, it would be contradictory, and if they called it SMB5, everyone outside of Japan would be wondering what happened to SMB4.
Wow, I had no idea. I wonder why they changed it to World for the US?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Esrever wrote:They could call it Super Mario World 3!
Here's the thing about that. Yoshi's Island was only subtitled Super Mario World 2 <i>outside</i> of Japan.
Or maybe it's time to one-up the location again... Super Mario Galaxy! Super Mario Universe!
Does anyone else remember the Super Mario Universe trailer? It was supposed to be a 2.5D sidescroller for the GBA, except it had graphics far more sophisticated than the GBA could ever hope to produce. But this was still in the first couple years of the handheld's existence, and on top of the "a new Mario sidescroller?!?!" factor, most people just ignored the implausibility of it. Then it turned out to be an elaborate hoax when it was discovered that stopping the video on one frame displayed a message reading "THIS IS NOT A REAL GAME. THIS IS MY DREAM," etc.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I have a feeling this new game is going to be a "remake" of the original Super Mario Bros. You know, with an actual explanation for the beggining of the series. Sure, there would be a chance for a sucky story, but at least we would know how the heck two plumbers got to the Mushroom Kingdom (disconsidering the psychedelic fungus theory).

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

The "two plumbers from Brooklyn" backstory was thrown out back in '95, when Yoshi's Island showed that they were born to a couple living in a mushroom house in a mushroom town. Besides, the Mario games have always been short on plot. I doubt they'd ever go back and redo a game's story because the series isn't about that. It's about hopping on turtle monsters and throwing fireballs at killer squids.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Is that a remake of 1-1 in the screens?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

It's been 15 years since we recieved a new decent 2D Super Mario platformer. A new Mario platformer is already an event for me since they are usually cream of the crop games and are not released that very often unlike the Sonic series. And since they guys who worked on SMW are on this--of course I'm anticipating it.
Zaranth wrote: How about a series of games about a carpenter or an electrician?
Well, Mario was a carpenter in Donkey Kong.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Kishi wrote: Does anyone else remember the Super Mario Universe trailer?
Yeah, that caused quite a stir. In fact, the same guy went on to make that Nintendo ON video that showed up around E3 05. It seems his sole purpose in life is fucking with Nintendo fans' minds.

Impressive work though.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I saw the Nintendo ON video, but not the Super Mario Universe one. Someone link it for a lazy guy?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

an actual explanation for the beggining of the series.
The official "How to Win at Super Mario Bros" book Nintendo put out waaaay back in the day (along with the Player's Handbook and the Zelda guide) just stated the situation in the Mushroom Kingdom and that "a brave man named Mario heard of their plight" and came to the rescue. I was quite pleased by the simplicity of it.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

It's Mario, just like Sonic, it doesn't need an explanation.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Ngangbius wrote:It's been 17 years since we recieved a new decent 2D Super Mario platformer.
Fixed. Super Mario World was inferior to Super Mario Bros. 3 in almost every way aside from graphics.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Super Mario World has much larger levels than Super Mario Bros. 3, and they also feature more depth, often containing multiple paths or exits and the like (The Ghost Houses are good examples). I still like 3 better mind you, but World is lovely all the same.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I prefer World to 3 on artstyle alone. 3 had really creepy "set" looking levels that made the Mushroom World look like a shoddily-put together stage. It gave me the hebbe jeebies for some reason.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

I didn't mind the whole theatre-motif that 3 had going. Plus 3 had far more interesting levels and items-- I'm not sure what you have to smoke to think of using a giant boot or a racoon suit as a power-up, but I want some. Plus, all those airship/tank/boat levels near the end were awesome. It actually made you feel like you were storming through enemy territory... in order to rescue a princess from a giant turtle. SMB3 had an amazing level of originality and general cracked-out imagery that's been missing from the series since.

Mario games are based off a weird premise that somehow works, and I think any attempt to put too much of story into the series would just detract from the setting and the characters. Bowser exists only to kidnap the princess, the princess exists only to be kidnapped, and Mario is only there cause someone has to rescue her. That's all the story that a Mario game ever needs.

That said, I get a raging erection everytime I think of the new Mario Bros. game.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

smiths32 wrote:Super Mario World has much larger levels than Super Mario Bros. 3, and they also feature more depth, often containing multiple paths or exits and the like (The Ghost Houses are good examples).
SMW had stages with multiple exits, but SMB3 had more multiple routes through the world map. Plus there were items like the Hammer, the Music Box, and Jugem's Cloud that you could use to bypass stages. There was some complexity there.

Considering it seems to be based mostly on SMB1, I wonder whether NSMB will even have a map screen.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Super Mario Bros. DX for GBC had a really really primitive map screen.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think I prefer Mario World over Mario Bros 3. The item set was less interesting, but the level design was tight. Finding all the multiple exits and hidden levels was the best part of the game! :)

I don't really think that either game had the greatest art direction, so that's not a major factor for me. The two most charitable words I would use to describe both games are "charming" and "functional." The only Mario game that ever made a really interesting visual statement was Yoshi's Island... asside from that, it's fairly obvious that especially interesting visuals were never a high priority for the series.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I honestly don't know why, but even after playing Super Mario Bros from 1 to world, I still perfer SMB2: Yoshi's Island. I guess it's not just the lovely graphics, but the nice deep gameplay and the level of charm overall in spite of the crying baby.
~Neo

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, I think I liked Yoshi's Island the best too, not only for the graphics, but pretty much for the same stuff Neo just said.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Yoshi's Island may be the best platformer ever, but I don't really compare it to the other Mario games since it's so far removed from the normal gameplay. I wouldn't even consider it a Mario game if they hadn't rereleased it as Super Mario Advance 3.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Given Nintendo's recent sequel-streak, I'm surprised they haven't released an updated Yoshi's Island-style platformer. I'm pretty sure it would work just as well in 3d as it would in 2d.

We seriously need more games that look like they were drawn with crayon.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I'm a Mario World man myself, mainly due to the multiple exits in stages. If they weren't in the game I'd probably prefer SMB3. Unless this new title has something similar I really can't see it surpassing World in my mind either, even if it has the best level design so far, which I really can't see happening at the moment to be honest but I'd like to hope it's possible.

I heard one new piece of information today and that's that Yoshi will apparently not be in the game, which I guess is a bit of a shame since he was pretty cool to have at points in World, but it shouldn't affect the overall quality as he's hardly a necessity.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Given Nintendo's recent sequel-streak, I'm surprised they haven't released an updated Yoshi's Island-style platformer. I'm pretty sure it would work just as well in 3d as it would in 2d.

I kinda figured the reason they never did was cuz' the original Yoshi's Island didn't do so damn well (for shame, really), not to mention it's supposed "sequel" Yoshi's Story was crap.
~Neo
Last edited by Neo Yi on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

~Neo
~Neo
~Neo

ahahaha