New Super Mario Bros.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Esrever
Drano Master

New Super Mario Bros.

Post by Esrever »

Well, now we know for sure... it's arriving in May. I'm feeling a lot of... something. I'm not sure if it is excitment or fear.

What do you guys think? Is there a chance this game will be any good? Would Nintendo really drop the ball on a "traditional" Mario game?

It makes me nervous that we've seen so little of a title that is arriving so soon. And what we HAVE seen is so confusing. On the one hand, you've got those absolutely hideous screenshots that every major American gaming site is carrying. The ones that look like this:

It's practically looks like a fan game. It has me in tears, just looking at it. It makes me wonder how I could have even a sliver of hope. But then, we have these scans from Famitsu.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/ds/mar ... 44e_n1.jpg
http://www.gccafe.com/news/media/staff/ ... bscan1.jpg
http://www.gccafe.com/news/media/staff/ ... bscan2.jpg

Obviously the game has gone through some pretty serious improvements, at least visually. I have no idea why Nintendo is hiding these screenshots away in Japan and letting everyone keep looking at the horrible trash mentioned above. I look at these newer shots and I actually start thinking it's possible for this game to turn out ok.

What do you guys think? Is anyone else excited about this game?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

It's definitely improved a lot as it's been developed. And, as we've seen with Sonic Rush, that 3D-on-2D stuff looks a lot better in motion than it does in screenshots anyway.

As for gameplay, it's classic Super Mario Bros. gameplay with more than enough new mechanics (co-op, wall-kicking, hanging, new power-ups) to justify itself. It's SMB5. What's not to love?

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Visually it looks like a bit of a disaster in my opinion. I'm not liking the use of 3d at all, none of the backdrops have the sense of style I'd expect from a Mario game and some of the backgrounds just plain look like shit (the ground texture in the volcanic level seems particularly bad). The videos I've seen are hardly inspiring level design wise either.

Despite these views though, I can still say without a doubt that this is one of my, if not my MOST anticipated game. At the end of the day regardless of how it looks in most screens, it's still the first new proper Mario sidescroller in a very long time and it seems like it should be impossible for them to screw up. Takashi Tezuka (director of Mario world and Yoshi's Island) is fairly involved in the project apparently too so I'd like to think that they're taking it very seriously, they have said I think they intend to make it the best Mario sidescroller ever so hopefully that's not just the usual marketing bullshit and they're actually trying their damn hardest. This has the potential to be game of the year as far as I'm concerned and I'll be pretty annoyed with Nintendo if they fuck it up.

So yeah, I'm excited about it and do have some faith it can be fantastic, they've certainly had enough development time to perfect it anyway. I'm just hoping the only reason we've been seeing so little of the game is because they're going out of their way to keep most of it a surprise.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I really can't say since I don;t have a DS (yet), but I have complete faith in Nintendo. Yes, I'm aware it's a little blind sighted as not all their games are good, but call it a nostaglic worship for Nintendo related games over the years.
~Neo

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I still think it would've looked better with 2D graphics, or Yoshi's Story graphics.

Speaking of Mario titles on the DS, anyone played Super Princess Peach yet?

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Ugh, no Yoshi's Story graphics. I wasn't impressed by those at all.
~Neo

Zaranth

Post by Zaranth »

Considering I've never liked the Mario game series and have never been interested in it , I can't help but not give a damn. Quite honestly, I'd rather hear news about a totally new game series that might come out. We really need new games that aren't crap (and I do realize that that is very obvious).

How about a series of games about a carpenter or an electrician?

DackAttac

Heartbreaker. Dream maker. Love taker. Doncha mess around

Post by DackAttac »

I thought Sonic Rush looked like feces in screens and it turned out to be alright when it was in motion. I suppose such is the fate of 2½-D graphics made to be that small.

Truth be told, I'm more often pleasantly surprised than disappointed by the Mario series (but then, I've dodged the majority of the Party titles), so I feel I can trust the saga.

aso

Post by aso »

It's a 2D SMB title from Nintendo. Nintendo has yet to screw up the 2D formula.

I'm sure it'll be fine, horribly garish graphics or no.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

THIS IS A SONIC FORUM!!!!!

Seriously though, I don't think it looks that bad. I haven't seen any videos or anything, but the screens look pretty good, the 3D graphics look kind of out of place, but I don't think they look nearly as bad as everyone makes it seem. I don't have a DS, nor do I plan on getting one, so I can't say I care that much anyway. My guess though is that it'll be good, but not really different than the old sidescrollers.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Bearing in mind Sonic Rush also uses 3d models over 2d levels, I have faith in the game.
People had the same complaint of the 3d/2d thing back when Sonic rush was unvieled, but the method worked well.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm am super psyched. Being a seeming throwback to the original SMB in particular really has me interested, it somehow seems a lot fresher than a game like Mario 3 or World. Mainly I just kill for platformers anymore is all, though.

I'm really liking Drill Dozer atm.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

New Super Mario Bros is probably my most anticipated game at the moment. It's improved a lot in the the most recent screenshots and it will probably look a lot better in motion. Hopefully it won't disappoint!

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

I first heard about this some while ago...but I don't remember when. All I can say now is that the screenshots are a huge letdown. Still, if given the chance, I'll definitely play it.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

It was first announced/shown at E3 2004, so it's had around 2 years of development time.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I'm really excited for this. I had my doubts but this trailer quelled them. I'm a whore for platformers anyway. An added plus, it has Co-op play, and I'm hot for just about anything with Co-Op.

Also, Mario in Koopa Shell FTW

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think I could get excited about pretty much any game with that song in the trailer. Even if this was Mario: Act Zero.

I still think some of those repetetive ground textures look pretty fugly, especially in the desert area and 'normal' outdoor green grass area. But this trailer is nearly a year old, and when you compare to the famitsu scans you can see they've already fixed the lame textures in the grass level, so hopefully they'll be doing the same elsewhere.

The very idea of Co-op play in a Mario game excites me. I guess I might buy a DS Lite after all, just so that there are two systems in my house to play multiplayer games. Otherwise I doubt I'll be able to play multiplayer, unless it has online support.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Did anybody ever create a rom of those extra levels in Mario advance 4? I never got an Ereader and there were a bunch of cards that weren't released in America anyway.

Egore

Post by Egore »

My only gripe is the completely uninspired name. Why aren't they changing it? Super Mario Bros. 4, Super Mario Bros.:Subtitle. Anything.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

All I know is I saw the old fire flower outfit. Rock on.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Egore wrote:My only gripe is the completely uninspired name. Why aren't they changing it? Super Mario Bros. 4, Super Mario Bros.:Subtitle. Anything.
Super Mario World was subtitled "Super Mario Bros. 4" in Japan. If they called this game SMB4, it would be contradictory, and if they called it SMB5, everyone outside of Japan would be wondering what happened to SMB4.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Im just gonna think its mario 4 in my mind~! Co-op is the best thing ever! I hope you'll only need one cartrige to play Co-op.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Kishi wrote:
Egore wrote:My only gripe is the completely uninspired name. Why aren't they changing it? Super Mario Bros. 4, Super Mario Bros.:Subtitle. Anything.
Super Mario World was subtitled "Super Mario Bros. 4" in Japan. If they called this game SMB4, it would be contradictory, and if they called it SMB5, everyone outside of Japan would be wondering what happened to SMB4.
Not really, if they call it SMB5 most people would probably assume World was 4. If they call it 4 then that'll just confuse Japan. Either way, it isn't that big a deal.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I think you may be placing too much stock in the reasoning capabilities of the average gamer.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

They could call it Super Mario World 3! Or maybe it's time to one-up the location again... Super Mario Galaxy! Super Mario Universe!

In any event, I am 100 percent sure that the reason this game is called "NEW Super Mario Bros." is to connect it as much as possible to the GBA "Super Mario Bros." rerelease, which has sold well over a million copies in Japan for some reason. I think thats a lot more than any of the Mario Advance remakes. It seems that on their shores, the nostalgia factor for the original game is significantly higher than it is for any of its sequels.
Last edited by Esrever on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.