Your Despised Anime?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Your Despised Anime?

Post by Cuckooguy »

Wow, an almost copycat topic!

Anyway, I'm sure people here have watched animes that they disliked. I suppose you can say that at least 70% of the anime you've watched suck or were just plain boring.

To start off, I hated Love Hina. At least half the girls in that show are dumb bitches that go all like "The male species makes us women weak, let's assume everything they do is perverted, blah blah blah". Well, maybe not half, but two recurring girls that are like that is still a big number. The only reason I checked this anime out was because a friend of mine really liked the manga. I hear that it's vastly different from the manga, but I haven't bothered to check it out, nor do I have the desire to do so.

I can't say I'm a very big fan of GTO. You can tell the creators wanted to create something unique, but almost all the students are either assholes, cocky, or just plain dumb. I mean, one previous teacher does something bad to them, and so nearly all the students wants to make war with all teachers/adults in the world. This isn't such a terrible concept in itself, I mean, I thought the GTO Live Action show was really spiffy (and a lot better than the animated iteration). It's also just dumb in how Onisuka falls for every trick in the book, even when they're blatantly obvious, yet he can make his "A man has to do what a man has to do" speeches. I suppose the fact that he always falls into a trap is supposed to be the flaw that makes him human, but I just can't bring myself to like this anime.

Scrapped Princess is an anime that has a great art direction to it with some cool characters, but watching it is more boring than history class, because everyone talks too much about a war that happened a thousand years ago.

Power Stone just plain sucks.

Sorcerer on the Rocks sucks.

Onegai Twins sucks.

Escaflowne was boring.

Video Girl AI was boring.

DragonBall episodes 1-28 were also boring to be. Does it get anymore interesting after that? I've never checked out anything DragonBall/Z/GT related after the first 28. Well, except about five of the movies, which weren't as boring.

And I still don't get FLCL.

Parn

Post by Parn »

That would be just about every anime that I've seen. I have a whopping two that I like, and you probably can guess one of them from my username.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

The obvious ones: all Dragonball ever, all Sailor Moon ever. In fact, almost any Japanese animated programme made before about 1995 that wasn't a movie. And I stil say Excel Saga is, like, the lowest form of 'humour' on God's green earth.

I have a great love for art and animation, but I've never quite got into anime in the same way a lot of weird-ass freaks have. I really dig a lot of the obvious greats though... hey, did anyone else see Belleville Rendezvous?

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Aishiteruze Baby. I can't stand it. I mean, all the characters are dumbasses. "I can't look after this 5-year old kid, lets force some high school kid to stop his focus on his studies and fuck up his life. We're too busy doing nothing." And then the fact that the main character and the kid sleep in the same bed.

If there was ever an anime to cause pedophillia, this would be it. Also, translate the title, it becomes "I love baby". Try saying that in a street.

Kite e was another i didn't like. Main character is due to marry this semi-rich guy who really just wants to help her out. Being a silly bitch, she slaps him, even when her family is looking at all their stuff being reposessed. I hate her.

The only good things in there was the opening and the cool ass Jazz guy.

There are more, but we'll see.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

I, My, Me! Strawberry Eggs. I saw it for a convention.

To put it bluntly, It is about a male teacher who cross-dresses in order to teach in a school run by feminists with twisted views on men.

No. Just.. no.

Sonniku The Battousai
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by Sonniku The Battousai »

Evangelion, DBZ and GT (DB is better), Mobile Suit Gundam, Code Lyoko (THE SIZE OF THEIR FRIKKIN HEADS?!), Duel Masters, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh (it fails to do the manga justice), Aeon Flux, and Reign The Conquerer

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

SD Gundam, Beyblade, Megaman NT Warrior, Yu-Gi-Oh!, DBZ, Medabots. Yeah all the one's where they go <i>"No! I'm the best and I will over come all my opponents because I'm the best and my power is a bajikillion more times powerfull than everyone else because I am better than everyone els blah blah blah..."</i>

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

Sonniku The Battousai wrote:Evangelion, DBZ and GT (DB is better), Mobile Suit Gundam, Code Lyoko (THE SIZE OF THEIR FRIKKIN HEADS?!), Duel Masters, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh (it fails to do the manga justice), Aeon Flux, and Reign The Conquerer
Code Lyoko isn't an anime, it's a French production. I believe both Aeon and Reign aren't anime either.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

And besides, Aeon Flux was awesome. Can't say the same for Reign though. I think the most apt description of it would be "a homoerotic acid trip."

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Sonniku The Battousai wrote:Evangelion, DBZ and GT (DB is better), Mobile Suit Gundam, Code Lyoko (THE SIZE OF THEIR FRIKKIN HEADS?!), Duel Masters, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh (it fails to do the manga justice), Aeon Flux, and Reign The Conquerer
Code Lyoko is French animation

Aeon Flux is American

Now it is too easy and somewhat unfair to pick out children's anime(Pokemon, Rockman.exe, Digimon, etc.) because--of course they are going to have simplistic plots and or follow in a very episodic manner because they were made for children. They don't count.

No. The real bad anime are the ones that are made for adults. 'Slow as hell with no resolve' ones such as Witch Hunter Robin and I'm guessing Noir is going to turn out the same way at the end. Madlax is looking to go in that direction too.

Don't get me started on harem shows. With the exception of Tenchi OAV and probably Tenchi universe, I despise this genre with a passion.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Actually, I really like Witch Hunter Robin, but that may be because I draw the line between tedium and intrigue a little lower than other people seem to. It's Wolf's Rain that sucks.

And Love Hina. Love Hina is not funny.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Saiyuki. The anime bored the hell out of me, and it's really just Weiss Kreuz with slightly better animation and no Ken and Omi. Okay, yeah, WK is BAD, but I like it for very, very shallow reasons. Shut up.

All the Dragonballs and Sailor Moons, obviously. Nobody REALLY likes them, they just say they do because other people say they do. G Gundam. WTF was THAT? Chobits. Destroyed the story in the manga, which you wouldn't think would be possible since the story is so bloody simple. L/R was stupid. Haibane Renmei started off crap and kept on being crap.

I like Witch Hunter Robin AND Wolf's Rain. Though I like Rain for the same shallow reasons I like Weiss, so.

ETA: I completely forgot my utter, intense hatred for Evangelion, and my intense annoyance at Escaflowne.
Last edited by Delphine on Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Yeah, G-Gundam was pure shit. I mean... There was a Windmill themed Gundam. A WINDMILL. I've seen giant robots transform into trains, space shuttles, train-spaceshuttles, tape decks, etc.... But a goddamn WINDMILL? Who the fuck makes a Windmill Gundam?!

I used to think Groove Adventure Rave was cool... Until TokyoPop brought it over here, changed the title to Rave Master, fucked everything around, removed all the alcohol, panty-shots/fan service, violence, and added a FUCKING SING-A-LONG to the end of every episode. It's even worse than what they did to Initial D.

And yeah, except for the fan-service and sheer amount of doujinshi they inspire, harem shows are pretty crappy-- The worst of which is Love Hina. I hear that new Tenchi is a piece of crap, despite being handled by the legendary Nabeshin.

And I suppose it is a kids' show, but Panyo Panyo Digi Charat sucks... It gives me seizures. And not the fun kind. And um... Pretear sucks the cock as well.

DBZ, in every episode, and GT as well are shit. It's basically the same shit every time: They train, get super strong, new super strong guy shows up, kills everyone, Goku shows up late, shows off for a few episodes, the new evil guy gets stronger, they fight for 98 thousand episodes, Goku wins, then goes somewhere so that he'll be late for the next fight. And the fights aren't even that great-- They aren't original, like in FLCL, the movements aren't smooth and impressive like in Cowboy Bebop (Where the fights were more than the same "flurry of really fast punches" animation recycled over and over again)... Argh, DBZ is just pure, unadulterated crap. The same goes for Yu Yu Hakusho, to a lesser extent. It was good for the first few episodes, then it degenerated into another "fighting" anime.

To tell you the truth, I think the only "fighting" anime I enjoy is Naruto, and that's because unlike others in its genre (DBZ, etc.), the characters are actually interesting, the fights aren't predictable rehashes, the characters' strength grows gradually (The main character takes about 70 episodes before he starts to get impressive, heh) and the story actually goes somewhere...

Eh... I think I'm starting to ramble so I'll stop now.

aso

Post by aso »

Nope, I actually like Dragon Ball because I genuinely like it. Sure, it's dumb, but what the hell do you expect? It's a cartoon that was mostly watched by children in Japan.

I haven't watched enough anime to actually dislike any. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, Sailor Moon, Pokemon? Wow, so many anime that I could dislike. But I don't, as I've never seen any of them, and never will. Just sayin', is all.

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

There's bad Anime just like there's bad American animation, and bad live-action shows. Lol, 80% of TV PERIOD is boring and shitty.

And FLCL... someone got really overpaid to make that crap. It's not weird in an interesting or intricate way, it's just weird for the sake of weird and everything is based on shitty abastract ideas.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

FLCL is brilliant, it's not our fault you can't see it.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Yeah, FLCL is probably one of the best examples of anime as a true form of art. It's easily Gainax's best, eclipsing the over-rated Evangelion by some margin. I'm not saying that Eva is bad, I'm just saying that FLCL is better.

FLCL is like fine wine or Ico or Rez... Only a select few will "get" it. It's not "based on shitty abstract ideas", in fact, the main underlying theme of the story is a pretty common one, its just told in a unique fashion. Perhaps its beyond your comprehension...

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

Yeah, I'm too dumb to understand it, that's it.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Actually, I was being facetious. Everyone has different tastes; something I think is brilliant is going to be hated by someone else, and vice versa. Personally, I think FLCL is interesting but don't understand why everyone is in love with it.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

YuGiOh and Beyblade. What the fuck?! No matter how loud the players yell, nothing you do will ever make a simplistic game seem interesting. Watching people talk about playing with tops or cards is not interesting. AT ALL.

Although I hear the first season of YuGiOh - the one with random games of chance and Yami Yugi being a bad-ass and sending people to hell - really rawks. We'll never know, because they can't use that season to sell toys.

Dragonball Z maybe the worst thing ever to be shown on television ever - including all those crappy reality shows. It's the most brainless, boring, overblown, drawn-out piece of shit ever. And what's annoying is that the original Dragonball was so much fun.

The unfortunate thing is that people see DBZ and assume that all anime must be just like it.

Don't get me started on harem shows. With the exception of Tenchi OAV and probably Tenchi universe, I despise this genre with a passion.
The funny thing about these shows is that they're all aimed at heterosexual teenagers, yet really the male protagonist always seems incredibly homosexual.

Hell, with the variety of girls Tenchi had, I'D be able to pick out one I liked.
ETA: I completely forgot my utter, intense hatred for Evangelion, and my intense annoyance at Escaflowne.
I was cursing at the screen when Dilandau turned out to be a girl.
The same goes for Yu Yu Hakusho, to a lesser extent. It was good for the first few episodes, then it degenerated into another "fighting" anime.
I totally agree. If it had stuck to being about supernatural investigation rather than DBZ Jr . . . I would've loved it. But after Suzaku is defeated, there's nothing there to see, really.

I don't see why everyone thinks Fooly Cooly is so confusing. Out of the whole series, the one thing I didn't understand is how Kannon was brought back to life by being dunked in water. Generally, having water sprayed on you doesn't bring a corpse killed by severe blunt head trauma back to life . . .

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

FLCL is an amazing piece of work on a number of different levels. The underlying theme is pretty common, but it's so well dressed-up you can't even tell. When I originally saw the first couple of episodes, I was put off because they seemed needlessly weird and incoherent, but when you finally start catching on, you realize that it's working on a completely different groove than anything you've ever seen before, even though the story is one you're familiar with. There's some truly extraordinary direction going on. Plus, the music is fuck awesome.

As for anime that I hate... that would be most anime. I don't think there's anything I can single out.

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

Delphine wrote:Actually, I was being facetious. Everyone has different tastes; something I think is brilliant is going to be hated by someone else, and vice versa. Personally, I think FLCL is interesting but don't understand why everyone is in love with it.
Meh, I wasn't upset, I was just being sarcastic. I'm upset now, though; you made me look up "facetious."

And GG, I agree with the music thing, it is pretty good; I have two of the Addict OSTs.

I went the opposite way you did. I liked that it was weird and different, but after the first couple of episodes, it began to wear thin with me and I thought it more pretentious and gimmicky.

But FLCL opinions aside, we can all agree that Beyblade is the Devil.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I was cursing at the screen when Dilandau turned out to be a girl.
Dilandau was a girl?
Out of the whole series, the one thing I didn't understand is how Kannon was brought back to life by being dunked in water.
That episode was confusing as hell, I didn't finally start piecing it together until my third time through. Although, in context, Naota dragging his decomposing father out from the cabinet and reviving him with water made perfect sense.

Also, Kiyone is the best Tenchi girl. The only other one who isn't an absolute bitch is Sasami, and that's Silver's territory.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I don't really think the underlying theme of FLCL is that common. It's definately your standard coming of age tale if you dig far enough. But FLCL is unique because most CoA stories have the character becoming an adult and putting away childish things.

Naota's problem was that he was too uptight to let himself relax and be a kid. And although it was pointed out that trying to force yourself to be mature is in itself childish, I think the message was overall refreshing and somewhat original. Don't rush things. You'll grow up when you grow up.

Wheras most other stories in the same vein are basically "When something horrible or unique happens to you and you have to stand up for yourself, you can't ever go back to being a kid even if you're 12 years old."

Segata

Post by Segata »

I tried to like FLCL. I really did, but I honestly can't stand it.

I'm currently trying to like One Piece, but it's seeming a bit too childish and I don't even want to watch the fansubs I've downloaded.

I also have an aversion to Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, and almost all of this other Fox Box/Toonami crap.