Reasons to Love the 60s

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
jenkins

Reasons to Love the 60s

Post by jenkins »

I was watching Speed Racer a little while ago, and I kept thinking to myself, Damn, that would make a great video game. Of course, I doubt I'm the first person to do so, so I was wondering--are there any plans for a Speed Racer video game? Have there even been any proposals for one?

And while they're at it, why not hire artists to release new seasons of the show? I'm pretty sure that top anime artists would be willing to work for 5 cents an hour, 24-7 to have that honor.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I never played it, or even knew about it until two seconds ago, but it seems there was one released on the PS1 awhile back and it didn't do to hot.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/driving/spee ... ed%20racer

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

There have been <a href="http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.ht ... +go+go">at least two</a> Speed Racer games made. I'd think there'd be more, really.

The animated series itself was remade once in 1994 and again in 1997. I heard both revisions sucked.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I played a Speed Racer arcade game. You could play as any of the characters, each had 3 special moves (jumping, oil slicks, boost, ext). It was an awsome game but I sucked and could never get past the second level, and could only get that far with Racer X (once with Speed). I only got to play 3 or 4 times; it was in a hotel arcade room...think I'll go check Mame for that now.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I remember playing a Speed Racer game for the PC.

I assure you, there have been several attempts to bring this cartoon to the masses in video game form.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

A local arcade just recently got it... But I haven't played it yet.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'm sorry, but Speed Racer sucks.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Segaholic2 wrote:I'm sorry, but Speed Racer sucks.
I'm glad someone feels that way. The whole show just bugged me. The Geico commercial was hilarious though.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I'm pretty sure the people who genuinely enjoy it are a tiny minority. The rest of us just like to laugh at it.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

I have very vague memories of it... I remember the Masked Racer usually ending each episode with a soliloquay about how he was SPOILER!!! Speed Racer's brother, and there was also one scene where Speed Racer's card actually elevated on stilt-wheels to avoid something. I was young, but that still struck me as daft.

My brother remembers a scene where a sabre-toothed tiger fell into a pool full of pirahnas, dipped under the surface and immediately emerged as a perfectly-clean skeleton.

Y'know, now that I think about it, this actually sounds like a good show, in a McGuiver/Knight Rider kind of way.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I think that it was really the first experience that many of us had at poor dubbing of anime and/or Japanese cartoons because the writers tried to translate dialogue that would normally take a few seconds but ended up taking more than a few seconds and then when they rushed it all they would end up with extra space OHHHHHHHHH?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

My only experience with Speed Racer was the Dexter's Lab parody, which may be the funniest episode of which I've seen.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

I watched it when I was 6 or 7. I certainly liked it then. My dad had watched it when he was young, so it ended up being something we did together. It was probably my first anime, unless I saw Little Nemo first.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I do remember Little Nemo quite fondly(ZAMMA PAJAMA!). I was pretty surprised to find out that a good amount of Disney staff worked on it.

new things everyday...

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Is Little Nemo really anime? If I recall correctly, design, voice acting, and soundtrack were all out of the West, and only the animators were predominantly Japanese. If that constitutes anime, then shows like Thundercats and Silverhawks are, too.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Judging by the names that seems to be the case, though it was released 3 years earlier in Japan than America. Ok then, I won't call it anime anymore. I'd still like to see the sub though.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Hmm...that many games, and none of them too worthwhile? Well, hope springs eternal. Same for remaking the TV show...I remember when I lived in Cambridge, we would go down to West Coast Video and rent episodes of Speed Racer, including one which somehow failed to make it onto my DVD set (the Cleopatra one), and before the episodes started, there was an ad for a horribly animated Speed Racer movie. I don't remember much about those ads except that Speed was blond, which pissed me off.

And nowadays, yes, I mainly watch the show to laugh and to bring back memories. However, one time I was watching and my mom was standing there too, and noted (complete with perfect dazzled expression and wistful voice) "He's such a rebel." Now that made me laugh.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Little Nemo was excellent.

Also, that episode of Dexter's Laboratory is what introduced me to the concept of parody, which has since become one of the cornerstones of my sense of humor.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

That and incoherent flaming of noobs.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Both good!

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

But parodies are better.

I haven't seen the Dexter's Lab parody, but I saw a pretty good one in the Fairly Oddparents movie where they go to different TV shows.

"No! I will race in this race! I am a speedy racer! I must race with speed in this race! Oooh! Aaah! Whaa!"

Or something like that.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Light Speed wrote:That and incoherent flaming of noobs.
Retort.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Hey, I never said it was a bad thing, I just said it was another cornerstone of your sense of humor.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Baba, you've just found me another link for me to lovingly waste my time on. Nice one.