A socio-political rumination...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
The Scarlet Scorpion

A socio-political rumination...

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

Something occurred to me recently.... I'm sure you all are familiar with the anti-Muslim cartoons that have been published and re-published throughout Europe in the name of "Freedom of the Press" (and if not, where the Hell have you been?). The sketches not only depict Mohammed, which is major league blasphemy on it's own, but they also depict him with a bomb for a turbin, alluding to the stereotype that all Muslims are terrorists (they're not; almost all of them are rather nice people, and I've gotten along with every Muslim I've ever met).

Now, you probably are also familiar with Iran's response to these vitriolic displays; a prominent newspaper there has started a contest for cartoons about the Holocost. The first entry depicts (and I'm not making this up, honest to God/ess/es) Hitler in bed with Anne Frank.

Now, what is the main difference between these two utterly disgusting visual attacks?

The "Mohammed cartoons" get shown on T.V. throughout Europe and the Americas.

The "Holocost cartoons" don't.

The moral?

No matter how much the Western World hates Jews, they hate Muslims more.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Hey, look, a knee-jerk bleeding heart reaction.

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

People are getting offended over political cartoons and drawings, then they have a lot more to worry about. People now-a-days are way to sensitive. Also, they've never used something called the internet; which is the most offensive, racist, sexist, place I've ever had the pleasure of visiting.

Personally, I don't have anything against any races, but come on people.. laugh a little. I sometimes like to draw pictures of a decapitated Jesus Christ, but that's just me. : P

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

As far as I've seen, those Mohammed cartoons haven't been republished very often here in the "Western World".

And the reason we're not showing those Holocaust cartoons? Because unlike those radical Muslims, people in the "Western World" don't start burning down buildings every time something offensive gets published.
The Scarlet Scorpion wrote:No matter how much the Western World hates Jews, they hate Muslims more.
Also, I resent this statement, because it's idiotic and baseless.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

what the fuck is a holocost

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

It's what happens when someone that can't spell attempts to talk about stuff.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

The XM8, which was little more then a repackaged G36, that was being evaluated as a potential future infantry rifle for the United States was all but dismissed when it turns out that a heavy-polymer construction leads to serious problems under continuous fire. It seems that portions of the rifle would actually melt causing serious problems. That and the fact that the new system offers little advantage over the already very versatile current M4/M16 systems lead the US to abandon it. More then likely the consideration of the weapon was a political result of the failed XM25 prototype.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Why was the OICW program discontinued?

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

I think the fact that Muslims are killing themselves over this in violent protests is quite comical, and shows how irrational they are. Of course, here we have a religion who have a strong refusal of freedom of speech, so they aren't used to the idea of criticism.

In truth, i don't really give a shit, and i would prefer if this mess was not discussed. Politics are all bullshit these days anyway.
Last edited by One Classy Bloke on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

I think the whole thing has been taken too far, I mean there's way more Christian-orientated blasphemy in everyday media than Islam. And I don't see Christians causing any terrorist attacks.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

It was too heavy.

The Scarlet Scorpion

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

Sorry, just trying to be dryly satirical; perhaps I've been watching too much of "The Boondocks".

In all seriousness, though, early on in the protests I remember "ABC World News Tonight" showing one of the "Mohammed cartoons"; I'm just tired of bigots constantly going ape-shit all the time. I've really gotten fed up at people saying such-and-such group has defamed them, and then going on a killing spree, which leads the opposing side(s) doing just the same.

Maybe I am a bit reactionary; I'm just effing pissed off, primarily at the futility of it all. That's probably why I find solace in the works of fellow cynics, such as Aaron McGruder (he of the aforementioned comic strip/cartoon show) and Miyazaki Hayao (who in an interview with "The New Yorker" in January 2005 stated he'd feel satisfied when humanity's driven the Earth to a flooded wasteland). Given my asperations to the arts, I guess I'm kind of drawn to them and others with somewhat (only somewhat?) embittered views of the world; Hell, that may be why I hang out with you lot. :roll:

Not that I'm an out-and-out nihilist; I like "Evangelion", but not that much.

Seriously though, I know the human race will make progress -- Hell, given all the crap this species has been through the last one hundred years, it's progress that we haven't already destroyed ourselves, given all the chances we've had to do so. I'm just disheartened that we, as a whole, make so little progress over the years. I mean, Coca-Cola does "Hands Across America", then gets booked for supporting South American terrorism. :/ But really, we have made strides.

And so I can't spell; what of it, hagus-brains?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

One Classy Bloke wrote:In truth, i don't really give a shit, and i would prefer if this mess was not discussed. Politics are all bullshit these days anyway.
I never thought I'd say this, but QFT!

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Muslim extremist reactions have only succeeded in proving that the offending cartoons were right on the money. As intolerant as the loudest of their whiners are, they don't really have the right to demand tolerance from everyone else.

As a metaphor, I'd say a bomb in Muhammed's turban fits well. Setting fire to my country's embassy certainly proves that point better than Scarlet Scorpion proves his.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

plasticwingsband wrote:what the fuck is a holocost
seriously :confused:

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

A holocost is a projected price, silly.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Oh, right. I was about to ask myself.

PBJClock

Post by PBJClock »

plasticwingsband wrote:what the fuck is a holocost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocost

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

i know what the holocaust is

but i've never heard of the holocost

PBJClock

Post by PBJClock »

"holocost"...
never heard if it! :razz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocost

Edit:50th post!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Too bad I don't let people get away with double posting if I don't like them.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

So...nobody gets away with double posting, then?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

There is one way to find out.

And here it is. Since I count as everybody.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

See, if you hadn't done it to be a dick, I might have left it alone.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I wanted to see if you loved me.