The secret to Shadow's popularity

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Jenkins is funny.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I have to agree. I don't know anything about Sephroth, but Kefka's not cool. He's funny and refreshingly original compared to typical RPG boss, but not cool.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I can't quite picture anyone, even a genuine Kefka fan, saying that Dancing Mad is a cooler tune than One-Winged Angel. At least, not with any honesty.

Personally, I perfer Dancing Mad for One-Winged Angel. Maybe I'm sick and tired of hearing that damn song. Either way, I perfer Kefka (and Kuja) over Sephiroth (and Seymour).
~Neo

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Frieza2000 wrote:I have to agree. I don't know anything about Sephroth, but Kefka's not cool. He's funny and refreshingly original compared to typical RPG boss, but not cool.
Okay which RPG villian would you consider to be cool?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I prefer Kuja and Seymour myself. Kuja gets some points because it took me ages before I could discern weither or not he was a chick, and Seymour was just... Weird. Especially in that one fight with him in the machine, where he had this one attack which had a name that I mistook (several times) for 'Masturbate'. You know, the one where he hit you with that spear that gave you zombie status. That really freaked me out.

I'd probably like Kefka, but I've never really bothered to play FF6, so he's pretty much moot.

EDIT: Forgot about Seifer. He coined the term "chicken wuss", that's gotta merit a few badass points.
Last edited by Ritz on Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Ngangbius wrote:
Frieza2000 wrote:I have to agree. I don't know anything about Sephroth, but Kefka's not cool. He's funny and refreshingly original compared to typical RPG boss, but not cool.
luca blight
zeikfried
giygas

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I prefer Kuja and Seymour myself.
Actually, I said I didn't like Seymour. Never cared for him. Terrible clothing style, awful hair and name, annoyingly stupid evil laugh, and lame evil villain plot.
Kuja gets some points because it took me ages before I could discern weither or not he was a chick,
I personally liked Kuja (who's outfit I somehow like for some odd reason) for his artistic look on the world, seeing it all as a play, and still kicking lots of ass. I mean, the dude destroyed an entire planet. I like to see Seph do THAT!
~Neo

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Neo Yi wrote:
Actually, I said I didn't like Seymour. Never cared for him.
What part of
implied that you liked Seymour?

Grant

Post by Grant »

I think maybe the poll results more accurately reflect that people prefer three adjectives to two. Dark, withdrawn and mysterious had an unfair advantage.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

implied that you liked Seymour?
I was assuming he was backing up what I was saying with that, maybe I misread wrong.
~Neo

Grant

Post by Grant »

Neo Yi wrote:maybe I misread wrong
If one misreads wrong, does that mean they're reading correctly?

I'm not making fun of you Neo Yi, I just thought that was an amusing malapropism.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

plasticwingsband wrote:
Ngangbius wrote:
luca blight
zeikfried
giygas
It's been a while since I've played Suikoden 2, but I do remember Luca was a demented badass mofo. He ranks up there with Kefka as one of my favorite video game villians. Giygas, was creepy in a sense that he had no true shape when you finally meet him but he did make some disturbing yet strangely hypnotic sounds.

Zeikfried? Are you talking about Wild ARMs' Zeikfried? *shrugs* I thought he was quite forgetable actually. Zed was more interesting than Zeikfried(and he had a better theme song also).

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

No RPG villain is more close to the "douche bastard" rank than Redips (Megaman X CM). You know what's like raising a character, spending money with power-ups to him, watching him die and being sad about it, just to find out he is alive and your commander in disguise AND the real bad guy all this time? And on top of that, being a cocky jerk?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Fully realizing that Magi-Nation was probably very overlooked in the gaming community, I'd still like to point out that some of the most memorable RPG characters I've ever seen were conceived in this game. In the case of villians, the bumbling but deadly duo Korg and Zet, the god-like Agram, and the truely dark-badass Morag are all engraved into my mind.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Ritz wrote:Seymour
<a href="http://dontfeedthewriter.com/11t/tempee ... >Silly!</a>

Seifer was a CONFUSED TEENAGE BOY. There's nothing baddass about that.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Delphine wrote:Seifer was a CONFUSED TEENAGE BOY. There's nothing baddass about that.
sarcasm on the internet

I did like his design, though. Granted, I liked nearly every character's design in FF8, but still.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Ritz wrote:sarcasm on the internet
I fail it.
Ritz wrote:I did like his design, though. Granted, I liked nearly every character's design in FF8, but still.
Yeah, the designs were pretty awesome. Too bad the plot was crap, and the central plot point was a giant gaping hole, and they didn't have the balls to kill Squall and only implied that he might be dead if you want to interpret it that way, and...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, the designs were pretty awesome. Too bad the plot was crap, and the central plot point was a giant gaping hole, and they didn't have the balls to kill Squall and only implied that he might be dead if you want to interpret it that way, and...
They did the same thing for 7 and ten though, remember?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I'm trying to decide if I should get into FF7. Is it really worth playing? I mean I have a life now and RPGs always ruin them.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Ngangbius wrote:
plasticwingsband wrote:
Ngangbius wrote:
luca blight
zeikfried
giygas
It's been a while since I've played Suikoden 2, but I do remember Luca was a demented badass mofo. He ranks up there with Kefka as one of my favorite video game villians. Giygas, was creepy in a sense that he had no true shape when you finally meet him but he did make some disturbing yet strangely hypnotic sounds.

Zeikfried? Are you talking about Wild ARMs' Zeikfried? *shrugs* I thought he was quite forgetable actually. Zed was more interesting than Zeikfried(and he had a better theme song also).
i actually just threw zeikfried in here to give wild arms some love

zed is a better villian for sure but then he's not always a villian but i was actually gonna put him first anyway

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Zeta wrote:They did the same thing for 7 and ten though, remember?
Sadly.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Comparing Kefka to Sephiroth is like comparing the Joker to Shadow.

If ever there was a character who was the antithesis of angst, it'd have to be the Joker. He's awesome like that.

Simplest way to measure what villain is the best in a Final Fantasy game is just to measure the number of kills. X-Death killed less than ten people, and appropriately he sucks. Not counting war casualties, Sephiroth got maybe thirty kills in his lifetime, and then one more afterwards. Seymour got about two succesful murders, but got killed twice as many times himself, so that leaves him with a negative score. He did kill all those beast-folk, but they were really annoying, so one can argue he did the world a favour there. Kefka and Kuja both blew up a bunch of cities and screwed over a planet each, so they probably got at least several hundred thousand kills each. QED.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

From a strictly musical standpoint, Kefka's theme is much, much, much, much better than Sephiroth's. Also, Kefka's name rolls off the tongue.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Baba O'Reily wrote:From a strictly musical standpoint, Kefka's theme is much, much, much, much better than Sephiroth's. Also, Kefka's name rolls off the tongue.
And Neo Yi agrees? Wow. I never would have guessed that it was actually more popular than One-Winged Angel.

What about FFVIII's The Extreme? That's pretty much the only FF final boss tune I like more than OWA.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Simplest way to measure what villain is the best in a Final Fantasy game is just to measure the number of kills. X-Death killed less than ten people, and appropriately he sucks. Not counting war casualties, Sephiroth got maybe thirty kills in his lifetime, and then one more afterwards. Seymour got about two succesful murders, but got killed twice as many times himself, so that leaves him with a negative score. He did kill all those beast-folk, but they were really annoying, so one can argue he did the world a favour there. Kefka and Kuja both blew up a bunch of cities and screwed over a planet each, so they probably got at least several hundred thousand kills each. QED.
. . . Sin/Yu Yevon went crawling around a planet for a couple thousand years indescrimantely and randomly destroying cities, towns, and villages and demanding human sacrifice to even put him down for a year or two before regenerating anyways. That's gotta put him at least on the same level as Kefka and Kuja.