The Miyazaki Dynasty

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Kishi wrote:
Nova wrote:
Kishi wrote:Good on ya. Porco Rosso is the best thing Miyazaki's ever produced.
Why? cause is based in historical events? because the dude has a pig face? because there was a real race with the same two planes decades ago?.
It's a movie about a gruff former Italian Navy pilot who went AWOL to bounty-hunt in the Mediterranean after seeing too many good men die. Somewhere along the way he gets cursed with the body of an anthropomorphic pig, his only companion from the old days is constantly worried for his safety, and on top of all this, he's constantly at odds with a coalition of cutthroat air pirates. Yet he consistently refuses to put up with any crap, whether it's coming from upstart fancyboys from the American South or secret police from Fascist Italy. Throw in a number of stunning flight scenes, a jailbait love interest, and a general sense of whimsy and wonderment, and you've got yourself a superlatively memorable piece of cinema.
I never looked at it that way. I have to see it again, I haven't in a few years...I must have missed a lot, it didn't strike me as a particularly great movie.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

It's a movie about a gruff former Italian Navy pilot who went AWOL to bounty-hunt in the Mediterranean after seeing too many good men die. Somewhere along the way he gets cursed with the body of an anthropomorphic pig, his only companion from the old days is constantly worried for his safety, and on top of all this, he's constantly at odds with a coalition of cutthroat air pirates. Yet he consistently refuses to put up with any crap, whether it's coming from upstart fancyboys from the American South or secret police from Fascist Italy. Throw in a number of stunning flight scenes, a jailbait love interest, and a general sense of whimsy and wonderment, and you've got yourself a superlatively memorable piece of cinema.

Agreed. What he said, plus I have this slight obsession for old-timey stuff, especially old-timey airplanes. I absolutely love old-timey airplanes.
~Neo

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

I have never seen one Miyazaki film (Not big on watching anime) but what makes them so good?

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

My answer? They're weird. Maybe not to Cat Soup proportions, but still...

Light Of Illusion

Post by Light Of Illusion »

tornadot wrote:I have never seen one Miyazaki film (Not big on watching anime) but what makes them so good?
Your not big on watching anime, and you have an avatar of Rena?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Gasp, maybe they happen to like that character even though they don't like anime in general? I CANNOT FATHOM IT.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Gaz wrote:
Though I'd kill for a film version of Terry Pratchett's Soul Music, or any Discworld novel.
There is an animated version of Soul Music. Also there are plans to make a movie version of the Wee Free Men. Apparently it will be directed by Sam Rami and will be his next project after Spider-Man 3.
I figured that'd be the novel to be chosen for a large scale production, if any novel at all. Fingers crossed.
Light of Illusion wrote:Your not big on watching anime, and you have an avatar of Rena?
Actually, that's not anime, it's the pin-up from vol.1 of the .hack manga.
*cough*

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

http://tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?scarlettTitleId=632548

Not Miyazaki, but Ghibli nonetheless. Only Yesterday is the only Ghibli film that Disney has the rights to yet doesn't plan to release on DVD since they feel it's too "adult". So be sure to vote for it for home video release on this page!

But just to be safe, make sure you tape it off of TCM tomorrow night.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I have not seen Only Yesterday, yet. But if Disney feels that it is too "adult" the why don't the release it under the Miramax label?

...Then again, recent developments concerning Disney Pixar's acquisition and John Lasseter's new role in this deal tells me that this will probably be a moot point anyway.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Wait, hang on, Only Yesterday is too adult? Geez, Disney's stupidity increases with every passing second. As if it wasn't enough that they watered down Pom Poko.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

How did they water down Pom Poko other than referring to ballsacs as "pouches"?

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

That's exactly how. And it was worse than pouches, they called them "raccoon sacks," which is deserving of some sort of legal action.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

OH GOD THEY CHANGED BALLSACKS TO RACCOON SACKS THIS IS THE GREATEST AMERICAN OFFENSIVE ON THE JAPANESE PEOPLE SINCE HIROSHIMA GODDAMN YOU PRESIDENT BUSH WHY GOD WHY

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

I meant it's unecessary and sounds ridiculous. But I guess I'm overreacting.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

jenkins wrote:I meant it's unecessary and sounds ridiculous. But I guess I'm overreacting.
DUH HUR

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

It wasn't changed in the subbed version though, and they would've never been allowed to released the movie if they directly referred to "ballsacks".

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
jenkins wrote:I meant it's unecessary and sounds ridiculous. But I guess I'm overreacting.
DUH HUR
That was really funny for some reason.

That is all.