Sonic Revolution?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Screw eggs, they'd be watermelons.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Screw watermelons, how about testicles?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

A joke at the expense of Shadow the Hedgehog? Internets!

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Squirrelknight wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:
Lock-on is a 'no shit' idea, it was gonna happen in some 3D game. I might as well claim that Zelda copied miltary planes.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That's like saying Albert Einstein is a retard, because if he didn't think of the Theory of Relativity, somebody else would've come across it eventually. Oh, and that guy who discovered penicillin? Total douchebag. Somebody else would've found it eventually. Martin Luther King Jr.? By your reasoning, if he didn't lead the civil rights movement, somebody else would have, so he's not important either.

Well, whatever. Everybody knows Nintendo hasn't had a good idea since SNES. I mean, when was the last time you played a game with an analog stick? And it's not like the analog stick was a good idea anyway, cause somebody else would've invented it later.

Oh, and that d-pad thing? Nintendo shouldn't be given credit for that either, since it would've been invented eventually by somebody else anyway.
Your point being? You can't just assume that if some game has a new concept which becomes a standard, that they were the creative force behind it. Every idea and invention had some inspiration from something that already exists.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

One Classy Bloke wrote:
Squirrelknight wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:
Lock-on is a 'no shit' idea, it was gonna happen in some 3D game. I might as well claim that Zelda copied miltary planes.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That's like saying Albert Einstein is a retard, because if he didn't think of the Theory of Relativity, somebody else would've come across it eventually. Oh, and that guy who discovered penicillin? Total douchebag. Somebody else would've found it eventually. Martin Luther King Jr.? By your reasoning, if he didn't lead the civil rights movement, somebody else would have, so he's not important either.

Well, whatever. Everybody knows Nintendo hasn't had a good idea since SNES. I mean, when was the last time you played a game with an analog stick? And it's not like the analog stick was a good idea anyway, cause somebody else would've invented it later.

Oh, and that d-pad thing? Nintendo shouldn't be given credit for that either, since it would've been invented eventually by somebody else anyway.
Your point being? You can't just assume that if some game has a new concept which becomes a standard, that they were the creative force behind it. Every idea and invention had some inspiration from something that already exists.
Except for the music of the Talking Heads. Man, that shit is way out of left field, but in a good way.

The T

Post by The T »

One Classy Bloke wrote:Your point being? You can't just assume that if some game has a new concept which becomes a standard, that they were the creative force behind it. Every idea and invention had some inspiration from something that already exists.
Except, they fucking were.

You honestly think that video games would be what they are today if Nintendo was never there? Don't you know anything about the video game crash, and how Nintendo brought games back up from it?

Honestly, now. Tell me how Nintendo isn't responsible for the state of video games today?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:
Squirrelknight wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:

Except for the music of the Talking Heads. Man, that shit is way out of left field, but in a good way.
hey baba, why don't you stop making sense already

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

The Name of This Band is Talking Heads > Stop Making Sense

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

The T wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:Your point being? You can't just assume that if some game has a new concept which becomes a standard, that they were the creative force behind it. Every idea and invention had some inspiration from something that already exists.
Except, they fucking were.

You honestly think that video games would be what they are today if Nintendo was never there? Don't you know anything about the video game crash, and how Nintendo brought games back up from it?

Honestly, now. Tell me how Nintendo isn't responsible for the state of video games today?
All Nintendo really did after that crash was limit how many shitty games could be made by forcing developers to meet their standards. Now they and the other companies have gotten really lazy, giving that seal to any game that will sell.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Classy Bloke has a point, if we didn't have Nintendo, game's would have gone down a different route, but there would still be people asking if it weren't for some company, what would it be like?
It's happened, we're used to it, time isn't a set route, it's a path of choices.

Nintendo worked hard and they were succesful, but it could have gone the other way too and Nintendo turned out crapper than a case of diahhorea and we'd be worshipping some other company called Krung.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Krung sucks.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

I don't know, the Krung 2600 had it's moments.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

This is a kind of ridiculous line of reasoning. We can't praise a company that does good things, because someone else might of done them instead? Doesn't that logic basically invalidate every achievment ever made?

Who cares if some other company "would have done it." Because they didn't. Nintendo did. They did more than any other company thus far to shape the gaming market. They were behind many of the innovations in 2D and 3D gameplay that have since become the basics of both mediums. They've made some pretty influential innovations in controllers, and especially in the handheld market. They're also basically responsible for indirectly creating the Sony behemoth, which has since supplanted them in influence. Credit (and blame) where it's due, please!

The T

Post by The T »

Not only that, but outside of console and handheld development, Nintendo is responsible for putting out many games a year as well. Has anyone seen Sony or Microsoft do this? Ever?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

No. They rely on third-party support, for the most part. Which would be great if their biggest names (Square-Enix, Konami, Namco, Eidos) made consistently great games. But they don't.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Have you noticed how Square-Enix and Konami both screwed up Nintendo after going to Sony? Nintendo drops Squaresoft, POW Final Fantasy Seven. And Konami had Symphony of the Night. What Nintendo needs is to try and get those old companies back.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Nintendo hasn't really had a hold on Konami since the NES. In the 16-bit era they were pretty divided between the SNES, Genesis, and PC Engine.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Esrever wrote:This is a kind of ridiculous line of reasoning. We can't praise a company that does good things, because someone else might of done them instead? Doesn't that logic basically invalidate every achievment ever made?
No, I didn't say that Nintendo weren't responsible for much of the advances in the gaming industry, just that they had the resources and played their cards right to become succesful, if they didn't then it would be a different story.
But most importantly, they did.

Namco suprised me pretty much through the Soul Calibur series, they went from Sony, to Sega, to all platforms (which I thought was the best choice) to going back to Sony.
It's a shame because Nintendo and namco can go well together when considering games like Tales Of Symphonia.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

when considering games like Tales Of Symphonia.
Yeah and ignoring games like Starfox Assault. Admittedly most of their Gamecube projects turned out fairly well though.

I was really surprised by the SC3 thing myself, from what I'd heard, SC2 sold the most on GC. I'm not sure if that information is flawed or not, but if it isn't, combined with the fact Namco have been one of the closest developers to Nintendo in recent years, the decision just didn't make any sense.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

The Gamecube version is much slicker and smoother than the PS2 version, plus Link is playable.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I got the Xbox version, Spawn was gay, but it definately was better than the PS2's and the GameCube demo of the game I played.

I was kinda ticked that SC3 wasn't on anything, but PS2 since I still don't own one. From what I've heard though, it isn't a big step up from SC2... not that any fighting game is ever really a huge step up from its predecessors.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

Unless you count a character creation mode with pretty boring looking fighters and a difficulty that goes from really easy to downright unfair...but at least it's following the rules of fighting games.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Grapically the game has improved a bit, but SC3 is much more in depth, think the level progression of Shadow but more expansive and for each character, plus extra endings.
The Chronicles of the sword mode is ok, but it's a bit repetitive and is easy to complete.
The only major gripe I have is the lack of being able to customise the intro sequence like on the Dreamcast.
And as for boring custom characters, fuck no, I made Jack Sparrow and Link.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Weapon Master Mode was a favorite of mine in SC2, is that what the Chronicles of the Sword thing is?