Sonic Revolution?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

One Classy Bloke wrote:
Squirrelknight wrote:Yeah, cause Mario 64, Metroid Prime and Zelda haven't contributed anything to modern game design.
Metroid Prime was a FPS with more jumping, and managed to be shit ass boring. Zelda really didn't do anything that Mario 64 didn't.
i'm sorry but you're wrong

your comments are making you look like an ass, and not the good kind

metroid prime is love

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Lizard wrote:Zelda oot introduced the lock-on targeting which was has become a standard feature in third-person games.
Lock-on is a 'no shit' idea, it was gonna happen in some 3D game. I might as well claim that Zelda copied miltary planes.

And I found the Metroid series dull as hell. I don't understand what people see in it, but maybe i just don't get it. But Prime, i really consider overrated. All the enemies are boring to fight, and tend to take ages to kill. Plus they respawn, so most of the game time is based around killing the same monsters over and over.

The T

Post by The T »

One Classy Bloke wrote:But Prime, i really consider overrated. All the enemies are boring to fight, and tend to take ages to kill. Plus they respawn, so most of the game time is based around killing the same monsters over and over.
Or you can just walk right past them.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The fun in Metroid is supposed to be more about the exploration than combat.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

James McGeachie wrote:The fun in Metroid is supposed to be more about the exploration than combat.
Could 'a fooled me.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I didn't mean to sound optimistic about Sonic 360. I don't think anyone in this topic did. But we've at least seen demos and heard vague ideas about it. I think it has more potential than a game that's blatantly built around a piece of hardware just for the sake of making use of it.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

I honestly don't see the problem with Sonic Team's latest games. Sonic Team USA/SegaStudios doesn't count, their games are all mediocre. Sonic Adventure 2 was the last Sonic game the Japanese Sonic Team made, and while not the best of the series, it is a good game. The last great Sonic game they made was Sonic Adventure, but what about their other games? PSO and all its remakes, while repetitive and poorly maintained in NA/Europe, were all fun games to play. ChuChu Rocket, both GBA and DC, were addictively fun. Samba de Amigo is an innovative rythm game that was enjoyable, and and Billy Hatcher was a good, innovative platformer with awesome multiplayer. Even PSO Episode 3, while frowned upon by most people, I found to be quite fun to play. PSU looks fantastic, and while I'm not necessarily getting my hopes up for Sonic, I don't think it's fair to dismiss it before it has been released.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Does SONICTEAM even exist anymore? Last time I checked, all of SEGA's divisions were absorbed back into SEGA's primary building about two years ago. I think they're just a name now. Unless SEGA Studios USA is a seperate division that still has not been absorbed, I'll shut the hell up.

But yeah, the only two things I find atrocious from SONICTEAM lately are Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. Everything else is either a port, mediocre, or, at best, pretty good. I found Sonic Rush to be a truly great Sonic game since S3&K/SA/whatever, but since I'm told that it's made by Dimps and not SONICTEAM, I cannot argue. It's still a Sonic game though. As for Sonic Riders, it may not cause me to piss myself in anticipation or something, but it's certainly not hideous looking. Not to Shadow the Hedgehog proportions, at least. In fact, it makes me happy that SEGA has decided to appeal to all audiences with Riders and not just to a certain demographic.

StH 2006, from the trailers, may look like a Sonic Adventure rehash with prettier graphics, but from what, four minutes worth of debug footage demonstrating small portions of a level that could possibly be for demonstration purposes as well? Not to say a prettier Sonic Adventure would be a bad thing or anything, but I suggest we stop pointing fingers until we get some more footage or information at the least. This whole lack of StH 2006 information is driving me marginally insane, day by day. It's been five months now since its announcement. What gives?

Finally, Sonic for Revolution. I cannot say this coming generation of gaming has particularly been of interest to me, but Revolution does spark some interest out of me. Not to say, of course, I expect Nintendo to succeed with this ballsy buisness move, but I can be assured that reguardless of its outcome, its performance will be interesting. The Dual-Screen appeared to be a rather risky take on the handheld market when it was first announced, but look at it now. We even have Sonic Rush on it, a stellar Sonic title in my honest opinion. If rumors are true and there really is a Sonic game in development for the Revolution, it's possible that history could repeat itself once more: Nintendo announces strange system, Yuji Naka says he likes it, a Sonic game is rumored to be developed for it, we get screenshots and information, Sonic game comes out, it turns out to be good, end of story. Nah, that sounds too hopeful, but whatever. I'll just sit back and watch. Entertain me.

*Sips coffee*

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

One Classy Bloke wrote:
Lock-on is a 'no shit' idea, it was gonna happen in some 3D game. I might as well claim that Zelda copied miltary planes.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That's like saying Albert Einstein is a retard, because if he didn't think of the Theory of Relativity, somebody else would've come across it eventually. Oh, and that guy who discovered penicillin? Total douchebag. Somebody else would've found it eventually. Martin Luther King Jr.? By your reasoning, if he didn't lead the civil rights movement, somebody else would have, so he's not important either.

Well, whatever. Everybody knows Nintendo hasn't had a good idea since SNES. I mean, when was the last time you played a game with an analog stick? And it's not like the analog stick was a good idea anyway, cause somebody else would've invented it later.

Oh, and that d-pad thing? Nintendo shouldn't be given credit for that either, since it would've been invented eventually by somebody else anyway.
Plorpus III wrote:Sonic Adventure 2 was the last Sonic game the Japanese Sonic Team made, and while not the best of the series, it is a good game. The last great Sonic game they made was Sonic Adventure, but what about their other games? PSO and all its remakes, while repetitive and poorly maintained in NA/Europe, were all fun games to play. ChuChu Rocket, both GBA and DC, were addictively fun. Samba de Amigo is an innovative rythm game that was enjoyable, and and Billy Hatcher was a good, innovative platformer with awesome multiplayer. Even PSO Episode 3, while frowned upon by most people, I found to be quite fun to play.
I have nothing against Sonic Team's Dreamcast games, as those games managed to not suck. In fact, they were all quite good. But the Dreamcast was a few years ago. Nothing that's been released recently with the Sonic Team name has been great. Sonic Heroes and Shadow are both dirty coat-hanger abortions of games, PSO 3 was passable but nothing compared to the original, and I thought Billy Hatcher was shit.

But that's just my opinion.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Of course the Sega development teams still exist. The divisions being reabsorbed into Sega was no big deal, as it was only because the divisions were made independent sometime around the Dreamcast. The bigger deal was how some of the teams were merged together.

Psychobob2

Post by Psychobob2 »

Frieza2000 wrote:I think it has more potential than a game that's blatantly built around a piece of hardware just for the sake of making use of it.
Yes I'd agree Sonic Rush was only created for that reason....oh wait....you were talking about the Sonic Revolution game. Silly me :grin: .

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Psychobob2, stop posting.

Just stop.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

the rev game will involve the use of the controllers to control your characters hands; there has been nothing at all to prove that but I have foreseen it; imagine the stupidity of doing Chaos blast by having to act it out. (and yet it could be fun.....)

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

This topic is hitting a record or something for nonsensical logic-ignoring posts. And not in a good way.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Well, that's what the nameless faces told me as I stabbed the sword of justice into the heart of deep space to prove these maths wrong and protect the world from hunger and poverty.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Good to know someone is looking out for us.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

That's what I'm here for, or so the lights from the bears tell me.

PBJClock

Post by PBJClock »

Squirrelknight wrote:[
I have nothing against Sonic Team's Dreamcast games, as those games managed to not suck. In fact, they were all quite good. But the Dreamcast was a few years ago. Nothing that's been released recently with the Sonic Team name has been great. Sonic Heroes and Shadow are both dirty coat-hanger abortions of games, PSO 3 was passable but nothing compared to the original, and I thought Billy Hatcher was shit.

But that's just my opinion.
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914614.asp

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

um... what's your point? Are a bunch of reviews with mediocre scores supposed to change my opinion?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Squirrelknight wrote:Well, whatever. Everybody knows Nintendo hasn't had a good idea since SNES. I mean, when was the last time you played a game with an analog stick? And it's not like the analog stick was a good idea anyway, cause somebody else would've invented it later.
Sorry, you can't credit Nintendo with the analog stick. See the Atari 5200.

Honestly, Nintendo really hasn't innovated much at all in terms of hardware aside from the D-Pad. Another thing they have issues with is balking at new technology and medium. See the failed Sony SNES CD peripheral and the N64's cartridge format.

The whole Revolution controller "gimmick" (I have every right to call it such until we actually see it in practice rather than theory) seems to me to be nothing more than "revolution" for the sake of revolution. Meaning I think Nintendo's banking more on the shocking difference of this new design than its actual practicality. Of course, they could change my mind if they'd actually show it being used. I think it's a bit suspicious how they're so hesitant to reveal anything. Oh yeah, because Microsoft and Sony are going to steal their ideas. :roll:

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Segaholic2 wrote:Honestly, Nintendo really hasn't innovated much at all in terms of hardware aside from the D-Pad.
What about force feedback?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Fuck rumble packs. I've turned off the rumble on every game I've played since those damn things were concieved. How is a vibrating controller that does nothing, but make the game harder to control help add realism?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Kishi wrote:
Segaholic2 wrote:Honestly, Nintendo really hasn't innovated much at all in terms of hardware aside from the D-Pad.
What about force feedback?
PC flightsticks.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I liked Billy Hatcher, it had a few annoying control flaws that really should have been fixed and the later levels had too many pits, but other than that it was a very solid and enjoyable platformer. I'd welcome a sequel as long as the original's flaws are all ironed out (which shouldn't take too much effort).

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Of course, knowing Sonic Team, a sequel would involve you rolling an egg along an inch-wide railing and a control scheme that sends you to a screaming painful death if you sneeze.

Also, Billy would be a black gangsta rapper and the eggs would hatch into semi-automatic weaponry and bling that powered you up.