The End of an Era?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Spazz

The End of an Era?

Post by Spazz »

http://www.kenpenders.com/
THE TIMES, THEY ARE A'CHANGIN'

When I initiated this format, I had seriously intended to submit my blog entries on a much more regular basis than I was able to. What I discovered was that 2005 was such a year in transition for me that it became extremely difficult to do so for a number of reasons. Chief among them was that time had become my most precious commodity as priorities kept changing -- practically on a daily basis.

It wasn't until this month that I finally learned to embrace the future and let go of the past; which isn't easy for someone my age with responsibilities. If I was twenty years younger, this would have been a no-brainer. But in an age-conscious society such as the one we live in, making a career change like the one I'm about to do is a huge leap of faith.

For the longest time, I believed I was living on borrowed time working in the comics industry. In an era where there is so much competition for a person's attention and money, comics have been a niche market, considered at best the research and development stage for a character and/or concept before it goes on to another medium, be it film, TV, or video game. Furthermore, I was an anomaly in the industry. The number of creators who can probably match my longevity with a book these days most likely all work for Archie. I can't think of a single writer or artist at Marvel or DC who has been associated with a particular book or character on a regular basis the past twelve years. Creators I can recall associated with a book as long as I are Roy Thomas on Conan and Chris Claremont on X-Men. Even Stan Lee and Jack Kirby didn't collaborate on THE FANTASTIC FOUR as long as I've been on SONIC; and they wrote and illustrated the first 102 issues without a break!

So while everyone asks me about breaking into the biz, the topics that go largely unaddressed are just as important. They're the future of comics as well as job security in the industry.

Addressing the future of comics, I believe there will be a comics industry in one form or another for the foreseeable future. I just don't believe ten years down the road it will be the same as it is today. Economics alone demand a change at some point. Take the 32-page format that most comics are printed in today. It's a dinosaur by every measurement imaginable whose very existence is subsidized by its advertising. As for the writers and artists, they will be considered even more expendable by the companies whose priorities are the characters, not the creatives.

Which brings us to job security. Unless you're the publisher or someone extremely well connected within the industry - and there are less of those types than you would imagine - there really isn't any security. At Marvel or DC, when a book's sales go down, an editor may be replaced. But just as often it's the writer and artists who are replaced -- and not because they did a bad job. More often than not, the announcement of a new creative team is seen as an occasion to encourage the audience that something new is happening and that they'll be missing out if they don't check into it. The thing of it is, more often than not, it's only for the short run. I'm sure the current sales of BATMAN these days don't match up with those of the recent Jim Lee run (which is now ancient history by today's standards.)

I've been working in the comics industry for almost twenty years, going back to my first assignment for DC Comics. Back in 1986 I worked for their WHO'S WHO IN STAR TREK mini-series; and, I can state from first-hand experience and the testimony of others that as hard as it is to break in, it's even harder to make a career of it -- unless you're adaptable. You can go from assignment to assignment and then, one morning, wake up wondering why there's no work.

That's partly why I became a writer, in response to having to wait for other writers' scripts that I was assigned to illustrate. I figured if I got into the game at the initial stage of creation, I could generate my own assignments. In the case of SONIC, it also offered me a chance to jump onto a book that was looking for one thing (writers) instead of the other (artists). You do what you have to, y'know?

What I didn't count on was ever staying as long as I did on the series. I figured I'd do a few issues and move on to something else at Marvel and DC. After all, working on SONIC back then was an issue-by-issue proposition. Even the publishers had no clue at all how long the book would last, hedging their bets by offering only six-issue subscriptions instead of the twelve-issue subs they offered on all their other titles. And when the original SONIC animated series were cancelled, even my then-editor Scott Fulop was pessimistic of the book itself lasting much longer. The history of similarly licensed-titles in the comics industry did not bode well for Sonic. It was at that point that I wrote up an outline of stories designed to take the series to issue 50. The culmination of which was the final epic battle between Sonic and his arch-nemesis Dr. Robotnik. All the while I knew there were no guarantees we would even make it to the 50th issue.

The only time I had any sense of stability was probably when I wrote the first twenty-five or so issues of Knuckles. When artist Manny Galan moved on to Nickelodeon, things seemed to fall apart. The book, as you know, was cancelled rather abruptly with issue 32.

After that, it became one long roller coaster ride, never knowing how long it would last. Finally, this past October, editor Mike Pellerito told me he wanted to make a change. The MOBIUS: 25 YEARS LATER 2-parter I had recently turned in would be the last story I would write for Archie Sonic in the foreseeable future. He did, however, allow me the chance to continue working on the book in an artistic capacity. I accepted those assignments at first. Then, while working on an assignment, I discovered that there were more pressing family matters as well as other opportunities elsewhere that I couldn't afford to turn down any longer.

So, the current Sonic-Shadow story line seeing print in issues #157 through #159 will be my last regular Sonic story in the series. The upcoming M:25YL 2-parter is my swan song from the book altogether. It's now up to new scribe Ian Flynn and others to carry the ball from here on out.

At this point, I want to thank editors Paul Castiglia, Scott Fulop, Justin Gabrie, and Mike Pellerito, along with editor-in-chief Victor Gorelick, and publishers Michael Silberkleit and Richard Goldwater for the opportunity to work on the series all these many years. And I must mention my appreciation for being part of a series that has meant so much to so many people all that time. My wish is that it continues to do so for many years to come.

As for me, I'm gearing up the work on some projects long in gestation. Their announcements will appear at the proper time on this website. I'll still be appearing at the San Diego Comic Con in 2006 for those still wondering, though I'll most likely be promoting my new projects instead of Sonic like I've done these past several years. I'll also continue to post responses on my message board and answer e-mail. So while I may no longer be associated with the Sonic comic book, I won't be disappearing from the scene any time soon.

After a few days of holiday relaxation, I'll be back posting here as well. Happy New Year!

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Oh no, the Sonic comics might suck now! Oh wait.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Ken Penders embodies everything I hate about everything in both a humanistic and geekish sense. Purging the comic of this man's ego alone may make it readable again, especially with Ian at the helm. But what's this I hear about Dubs not working on it anymore? He never seems to tell me anything anymore!

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

That blog... looks too long to read. My mind wandered off around the third paragraph... I may be lazy, but can someone sum up what he's trying to say in one paragraph? One of the things I didn't like about his writing is that most of the dialogue he wrote for the comic (at least when I was still following it) sounded fake and dialogue would contain more words than it needed.

I love me some simplifying and streamlining.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

What I hate about his writing is that he can't justify anything he does since he's never actually saying anything or going anywhere. His stories are just endless build up to nothing, and his little note here is no different.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It's about damn time!

And yeah, WB left Archie Sonic a while ago. I had to ask him.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

tl;dr. What's happening?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Basically, Ken Penders is leaving the comic completely with Mobius:25 years later 2-parter being his last story. The editor told him he could still stay on board as an artist after being dropped as a main writer, but Mr. Penders turned that down.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Woo!

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I haven't enjoyed Pender's story in some 2-3 years since he wrote for Sonic, but I wish him good luck on whatever he's doing now and I wish Ian and the other writers good luck on the Sonic comic.
~Neo

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I'm suddenly rather curious as to what's happening in the Archie Sonic universe. I think I'll grab another issue sometime.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I've got scans of all of them (none of which, in my defense, I've actually read). I could mail them to you if you want.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

I would enjoy that very much.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

AIM me. Or name a couple issues and I'll send them.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

What's your screen name? I'm using Trillian, and the AIM button doesn't seem to work well with that.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Frieza2000XTC

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

It saddens me that the writer who brought us the 32 issue Knuckles series is finally leaving, but, like so many great artists who came before him, the quality of his products has gradually deteriorated to the point where I almost don't care. But ... without any of the familiar names, and without WB working anymore ... maybe it's finally time to break this addiction.

Out of curiousity, what was/is Manny Galan doing over at Nick?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I can't wait to check out some of the new issues, even though they'll probably still suck.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

no wonder i'm flunking, it took me 20 minutes to read that. And I did not really understand what he was saying though until I read the other messages.

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

Also, Ken's being replaced by Ian Flynn, whose been a Sonic fanfic writer and creator of the Sonic fancomic "Other-M".

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

So, why IS Archie digging so deep into the fan community for staff? Because you can pay them less?

CE

Post by CE »

You can also work them harder!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

My guess is they are better writers too!

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Maybe no one else cares. I mean, how many cartoonists started out hoping to one day work for Archie as opposed to Marvel or Dark Horse?

I've enjoyed what I've read of Other-M, but it's all too easy to create a good story with predetermined characters in an alternate universe. All you have to do is tweak them in unexpected ways, like Tails being evil, and everything falls into place.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Senbei wrote:Maybe no one else cares. I mean, how many cartoonists started out hoping to one day work for Archie as opposed to Marvel or Dark Horse?

I've enjoyed what I've read of Other-M, but it's all too easy to create a good story with predetermined characters in an alternate universe. All you have to do is tweak them in unexpected ways, like Tails being evil, and everything falls into place.
Well, since Archie couldn’t even do the Evil counterparts of another universe right, maybe things will improve. And for the guy who didn’t know the definition of “Extinct raceâ€￾ I wish him luck, he is going to need it.