Can classic be classier?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well Robotnik was invunerable to attack in the first phase of Doomsday. That was kind of different.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Super Sonic's capabilities have been left tragically unexplored. They've only really been taken advantage of in flying-over-water scenes (Sonic 3 and Adventure) and flying-through-space scenes (too many to name). That's why the consistent reuse of the space scenes is as annoying as it is: it wouldn't take a whole lot of thought to come up with a different scenario for Super Sonic to show off in.
This may sound like stupid fanboy shit, but another thing I've always pined for is a DBZ-like* Metal Sonic/Super Sonic fight where you could fight wherever you want to fight. You could fight on the ground using the (destructable) enviorment, or high in the sky(perhaps even up into space(it'd be your call as to how high you'd go up)) using some badass Super powers. Better yet, start off as regular Sonic on the ground, running around and collecting rings without getting hit, then once you've got 50 turn super, fly up, and start attacking. When you know you're going to run out of rings make sure that you're somewhere near the ground so you don't die from the fall(or lack of air). A bit ridiculous yes... but it could be a cool way to explore a lot of Super Sonic's abilities. With some thought put into it, it could be pretty fun.

I do prefer a multi-phase final boss, but I wouldn't mind having this. Forgive me; that Japanese Sonic CD commercial was kind of a tease.

A Super Sonic stage is also quite a juicy prospect, if done properly.

*For the record, I don't really care for DBZ. I see some of the appeal though.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I like the idea Dash, uses both the abilities of Sonic and Super Sonic.
As long as Supersonic moves were all physical and not throwing laser/ki bombs everywhere.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I think a beam weapon or energy ball attack would be cool, but it'd have to cost rings to force the player to use it sparingly (and be realistic). I also think a ring-powered super speed boost would be a good move, but I can't think of many places it's be useful except in a race or something.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

If you started off on the ground and special abilities required rings, and you had to be near the ground for when you ran out of rings then they had better put like 2 million rings on the ground or else that fight would be tedious as hell. I definately like the idea of a massive open 3D world to fight in though. I don't know how it would work fighting a computer controlled opponent though, I imagine you'd just get lost in space and spend 10 minutes flying around just trying to find Metal, assuming you even had enough rings to fly around for 10 minutes.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Egore wrote:I can only think of little things. I remember in Knuckles in Sonic 2, Knuckles didn't have all the sound effects he should have. For example, when you glide and then latch onto a wall in S3&K, it made this awesome noise, which was noteably absent from KS2.

I wouldn't have Super Sonic music because, as previously mentioned, it got way too repetative.

In Sonic 2, if you got invincibility and then turned into Super Sonic, you'd be Super Sonic with stars around him. I remember it was really easy to do in Chemical Plant Zone (Act 2 I think). I always liked that, and I kind of wish that glitch was in S3&K.

I would give Tails flight in Sonic 2. I never understood how when Tails died (while being controlled by the computer), he would fly back to Sonic, but when you were actually Tails, you couldn't fly.

I would give Tails a Super form in Sonic 2 and give him a correct Super/Hyper form in S3&K. That never made sense to me how the Chaos Emeralds had no effect on him, and the Super Emeralds only had minimal effect.

Has anyone noticed the music for Flying Battery Zone being different in Sonic Mega Collection? This may just be me, but when I played S3&K on my Genesis, some of the instruments were more in the background whereas they're a lot more noticeable in SMC. I'd change that, I like the original better.
The only collection worth owning is Sonic Jam.

DackAttac

...But I didn't shoot the deputy.

Post by DackAttac »

SegaSonic wrote:The only collection worth owning is Sonic Jam.
Quite possibly true on the lone condition that you own a Saturn, but I never had that pleasure(?), and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I have Sonic Jam and I don't think its worth owning.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

While I'd had my fair share of Sonic up to that point, it's Sonic Jam that really solidified my connection to the series, so it's ace in my book.

Also, the extras were considerably more worthwhile than those of the Mega Collections, I'm sure you'll all agree.

Egore

Post by Egore »

Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Jam, and Sonic R aren't enough to justify the purchase of a Saturn, so I never got one.

CE

Post by CE »

Amazingly, there are non Sonic games that are worth buying for the Saturn.

NiGHTS comes to mind.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Guys, Nights isn't really all that. I mean, I don't feel ripped off for buying it or anything. But I bought it for seven dollars. If I had paid fifty bucks for that game I would have been more than a little choked.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I heard Panzer Dragoon Saga was good. I can't back that up though.

Oh and for Esrever, *random flame*. (I agree with you though, original concept, but its like a 3 hour game.)

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I can back it up. It was fucking brilliant.

Starscream

Post by Starscream »

Crazy Penguin wrote:I think it would be a cool idea to have a few Super Sonic only levels. Something that Sonic wouldn't be able to handle in normal situations, like a radioactive wasteland, so you'd lose a life if you run out of rings and turn back into regular Sonic.
I don't know if this has been confirmed, but Yuji Naka allegedly said that the original Hidden Palace of Sonic 2 was supposed to be a zone that could only be entered after collecting all emeralds, and where Sonic was to "gain" or "realise" his powers. I still like this idea.
Egore wrote:In Sonic 2, if you got invincibility and then turned into Super Sonic, you'd be Super Sonic with stars around him. I remember it was really easy to do in Chemical Plant Zone (Act 2 I think). I always liked that, and I kind of wish that glitch was in S3&K.
True :smile: But isn't that what Hyper Sonic was eventually based on?
Egore wrote:I would give Tails flight in Sonic 2. I never understood how when Tails died (while being controlled by the computer), he would fly back to Sonic, but when you were actually Tails, you couldn't fly.
I think because at that point, it was only a cool animation as far as Sonic Team was concerned.

Someone else already mentioned the glitch in Marble Garden, where you fall off the screen and die when, (I assume) you kill Robotnik before the battle actually begins. I would fix that.
CE wrote:Amazingly, there are non Sonic games that are worth buying for the Saturn.
I think, out of my collection, the games I really enjoyed on Saturn were Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Command & Conquer, Wipeout and Rayman. The original Rayman is extremely underrated, and a platform classic as far as I'm concerned.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Light Speed wrote: (I agree with you though, original concept, but its like a 3 hour game.)
While it’s true that the ending can be accessed in less than 3 hours, unlocking it only marks the start of game, as the true goal is to become a master at achieving high links scores. This is similar to a racing game, where the true goal is to master the layout of the track to obtain a record time.

^_^

Dash

Post by Dash »

Frieza2000 wrote:I think a beam weapon or energy ball attack would be cool, but it'd have to cost rings to force the player to use it sparingly (and be realistic). I also think a ring-powered super speed boost would be a good move, but I can't think of many places it's be useful except in a race or something.
Agreed, but the speed boost...
I don't know how it would work fighting a computer controlled opponent though, I imagine you'd just get lost in space and spend 10 minutes flying around just trying to find Metal, assuming you even had enough rings to fly around for 10 minutes.
...could come in handy there^ To catch up with Metal quickly and such.
If you started off on the ground and special abilities required rings, and you had to be near the ground for when you ran out of rings then they had better put like 2 million rings on the ground or else that fight would be tedious as hell.
Well the idea was that the majority of rings would be on the ground. Of course there'd be some rings in the sky somewhere, but not quite the amount Doomsday Zone had. With fewer rings around you'd have to have some degree of skill to stay as Super the whole time and defeat Metal as fast as possible(or rack up the highest score by finding cool things to do with the enviorment(maybe even setting up some traps?)). It'd make for good replay value anyway.

As far as rings in the sky, I guess you could find some floating around, beat some rings out of Metal, or attack some random badnicks that would expell rings. *shrug* I dunno.

Sorry for the topic bump if you guys care about that.

muke

Post by muke »

Esrever wrote:Guys, Nights isn't really all that. I mean, I don't feel ripped off for buying it or anything. But I bought it for seven dollars. If I had paid fifty bucks for that game I would have been more than a little choked.
'bout time somebody realized this; the story sucked and the game was too short.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I've spent a lot more time playing NiGHTS than most "long" games in my collection. It's not supposed to be a game you just complete once and then put on the shelf - it's concentrated awesomeness that you can return to again and again for quick thrills, to beat your high scores or just relax and enjoy the visuals and the music (which the A-life system adds a whole new dimension to). The Saturn had many games like this (Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Sega Rally Championship, Virtua Fighter 2 etc), and NiGHTS was amongst the finest.

muke

Post by muke »

True, true. It was like an "arcade" style of fun where a game's worth wasn't measured in hours, but rather on big the replay value was.
I did really enjoy Sega Rally Championship, however. I think it was my first racing game, if I'm not mistaken.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I just liked the character designs, but I agree I didn't like much of the gameplay.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Burning Rangers is pretty fun if you smear Vaseline on your TV. Other than that and Sonic Jam, all I ever used my Saturn for was for playing obscure and ridiculous Japanese import games.

Oh wait, and Lost Vikings.

And Marvel Super Heroes. And Exhumed. And Duke Nukem. And Shining Force. And Panzer Dragoon Saga. And Christmas NiGHTS. And Clockwork Knight II. And Guardian Heroes.

God, I miss my Saturn.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Let's not forget Saturn Bomberman.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Ahh Saturn, my personal "Golden Age" of video games. It's just a shame there wasn't a Sonic 4.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Is it still actually possible to make Sonic 4?