Sonic Magazine

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Adamis

Sonic Magazine

Post by Adamis »

A new Sonic Magazine has been released recently in France, Belgium, Switzerland, etc.

(bigger cover: http://membres.lycos.fr/spinattack/Soni ... Image1.jpg )
I heard it will be a one issue only, but it is very complete. They talk about how Sonic was created (with the rabbit project, the choice between hedgehog and armadillo...nothing we don't know). They showed 2 Sonic 1 concept arts...with a colored Sonic:

http://membres.lycos.fr/spinattack/Soni ... Image2.jpg

There is a presentation of some people of the staff (Yuji Naka, Takashi Iizuka, Yuji Uekawa, Kazuyuki Hoshino, Jun senue, Hirokazu Yasuhara and Naoto Ohshima)

There is even a page about Sonic X-treme! http://membres.lycos.fr/spinattack/Soni ... Image3.jpg

They show pics of Riders and Sonic the hedgehog, a character gallery (even Ray & Mighty are there, they forgot Bean&Bark, they used Kojichan's colorisation of Tikal), a page about comics/cartoons/OVAs/Mangas ( http://membres.lycos.fr/spinattack/Soni ... Image6.jpg ), Sonic X, a presentation of almost every released game, reviews of Rush & Shadow, pictures of goodies, a Shadow walkthrough...

And they have this interview with Yuji naka!

http://membres.lycos.fr/spinattack/Soni ... Image4.jpg
http://membres.lycos.fr/spinattack/Soni ... Image5.jpg

I'll try to translate the questions as good as I can. Please forgive any mistakes.
Mag: [introduction...] First, are you planning something special for Sonic's 15th birthday?

Naka: For the 15th birthday, we're making Sonic the Hedgehog for the next-gen machines, a "back-to-roots" game. Beside this, we have several projects, but I can't tell you more, just wait for official announcements.

[there's a question about goodies in France, I don't think it'll interest you]

Mag: Do you find it harder to make a game on actual consoles or on 8/16 bits generation? Are you nostalgic about that era?

Naka: Hard question! Old gaming machines and actual ones are very differents on material plan and the sowftwares evolved a lot. To be honest, it's harder for us to create a game on actual consoles, but in the same time there are more capacities and let us express what we want. On old machines, the interest was to see what we were able to do in spite of limitations, and it gives me nostalgia. About gameplay, old and new machines give interesting titles. Our goal is to create fun and nice-to-play games, whatever the machine is.

Mag: Why did you change your nick from MUUUU Yuji to YU2 during the time programmers in Japan were only called by their nicks? It became a game to guess the real persons names and fans are still wondering who Macky and Jimita are.

Naka: That's a question I never expected having to answer (laughs) It seems you're very well informed! I changed because I wanted a nick based on my name Yuji (Ji can be pronounced 2 in japanese) It was my nick on the reseau.

Mag: How did you feel during that great videogame era or during Sonic's development?

Naka: Sonic came out in 1991. It is that year when he officially came out to the audiance for the first time. Then I lived in san Francisco to create the second game, and I really felt how he would be popular.

Mag: Is it you who programmed Sonic's scrolling before the game's concept was choosen? What was the hardest part to program in Sonic?

Naka: Yes, we can say I decided about Sonic's orientation. Then the problem was to keep the scrolling speed whatever the circonstances are. It was a hard job, but very rewarding for a programmer.

Mag:Why is Sonic in Rad Mobile, in 1990? WerePeople working on the Sonic project working on it too?

Naka: When Sonic was established as Sega's mascot, another Sega studio asked the autorisation to include him in their titles. We imediatly accepted the idea, it would be funny if Sonic appears in every Sega game.

Mag: What are the Consumer Softwares divisions or people that worked on Sonic CD or Chaotix?

Naka: Sorry, these are confidential informations.

Mag: A Sonic game developped "en interne" by a Sega studio, like Segasonic or Fighters, is it still possible, or does Sonic Team want to supervise everything about the character?

Naka: ST supervises everything about Sonic. We don't limit the content of Sonic games but we have to do briefings and every necessary verifications to be sure that everything correspond to the spirit of the Sonic trademark.

Mag: Why isn't there hidden codes anymore, like Select Round or Debug Mode in newest Sonic games, in 2D? It was a nice idea in old games.

Naka: Actual games let you go to the round select or sound test. We don't need to hide them anymore.

Mag: Have you recieved comments from Akira Toriyama about Super Sonic? Why can he transform almost automatically?

Naka: Oh...(smile) we didn't recieve comments from him. And if Sonic got this power, it's a question of mastery.

Mag: With the mythology developped during all the games, can we hope for a Sonic RPG?

Naka: We are always looking for new ways for Sonic to express his talents.

Mag: Have you ever thought about a crossover Nights-Sonic or about an online version of Burning Rangers?

Naka: ST always asks themselves how to do the best for players and to improve our products. We can say we thought about every possibilities.

Mag: Choosing Hideki Naganuma for Sonic Rush OST is surprising, can you tell us more?

Naka: A friend let me hear a demo. The sound was so rich on rythmic plan, I immediatly thought it would give a renewal to Sonic's sound universe.

Mag: Is Shadow a hedgehog?

Naka: Yes, he is.

Mag: Communications about next gen Sonic let us see a wish to come back to roots. Is that the case?

Naka: As I already said, we called it "Sonic the Hedgehog", that already gives indications...

Mag: If it is the case, a new collaboration with Dreams Come True is possible, or will it be musicians of Wave Master who will do the soundtracks?

Naka: About musics, we still are at the negociations stade about that game.

Mag: Thanks [bla bla bla]

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Good grief, a magazine based solely on Sonic? It couldn't possibly last very long.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I heard it will be a one issue only, but it is very complete.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Why all the confidentiality for Sonic CD/Chaotix? Is it really that big of a deal?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Light Speed wrote:
I heard it will be a one issue only, but it is very complete.
Whoops. I was only skimming it, anyway.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Ritz wrote:Good grief, a magazine based solely on Sonic? It couldn't possibly last very long.
Sonic is VERY popular in France. How else can you explain they financed the Sonic X third season?.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

And Solly. I mean, just look at her.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Europeans still really like their talking animals. Donald Duck comics are still a huge industry in places like Italy and Denmark... easily bigger than any super-hero book. Crazy!

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

There's some pretty odd/stupid questions in that interview, mainly the Akira Toriyama and asking if Shadow is a hedgehog (what the fuck?) ones.

I find it interesting Naka had a role in Naganuma doing Rush's OST though, I figured he'd had next to no involvement in decisions made regarding Rush.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Protodude wrote:Why all the confidentiality for Sonic CD/Chaotix? Is it really that big of a deal?
One word:

OSHIMA

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

Europeans = Furryphiliacs

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Tell me about it! :roll:

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

James McGeachie wrote:There's some pretty odd/stupid questions in that interview, mainly the Akira Toriyama and asking if Shadow is a hedgehog (what the fuck?) ones.

I find it interesting Naka had a role in Naganuma doing Rush's OST though, I figured he'd had next to no involvement in decisions made regarding Rush.
I'd be pretty suspicious about that. In interviews, Naka seems to be happy to personally take credit for every single decision in every Sonic Team game ever. My personal favourite was when he was talking about his involvement in developing the flying mechanics for Astro Boy, a game that Sonic Team didn't absorb until production was nearly completed.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Hehe, Les Goodies.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Esrever wrote:
I'd be pretty suspicious about that. In interviews, Naka seems to be happy to personally take credit for every single decision in every Sonic Team game ever. My personal favourite was when he was talking about his involvement in developing the flying mechanics for Astro Boy, a game that Sonic Team didn't absorb until production was nearly completed.
Shh! Don't give Segasonic/Nova some legitimate fuel.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Dash wrote:
Esrever wrote:
Shh! Don't give Segasonic/Nova some legitimate fuel.
Yeah, like how he betrayed the dudes of the old Sega of America who hired him, or how he trashed Sonic extreme…

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Word

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

MY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION IS TO SHOOT BOTH OF YOU

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Really!?

And I thought we were Pals! :cry:

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Sonic Xtreme looked like trash.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I just learned that there's a full length fan-made <i>TV series</i> about Sonic news and fan community stuff.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Double-S- wrote:Sonic Xtreme looked like trash.
That’s because Naka wined about the use of Nights engine, Sega of America has bought the rights to use it, but Naka threatened to leave Sega so…Naka won and they had to remove it. Without the Nights engine, they where back to the beginning and…

More info at: http://sost.emulationzone.org/

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Sonic Xtreme <i>always</i> looked like trash. I would have vomitted blood if that had been the first "proper" 3D Sonic and not the magnificent Sonic Adventure.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

It's Metal Sonic, X-TREME style!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

The crap?