This just in . . .

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

This just in . . .

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, Chaotix actually is worse than Sonic Heroes. It's like Sonic Heroes, done in 2D, with any redeaming features taken out. Bad art, bad gameplay, stupid concept.

Ugh. I can't beleive I was willing to shell out 130 bucks for thise when I was a kid. I'm kind of glad the 32X was a glitchy piece of trash now.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

I actually liked it. It was mindless, and it entertained me when i was bored. Also, it didn't have pitfalls.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Chaotix Owns Heroes anyday.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The best word to describe Chaotix is randomness.

So yeah, I didn't really enjoy the game either. Though, I did like Knuckles' running animation and the whole concept of Espio.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I love the game's character designs and overall art direction, so it's a shame it's not very fun to actually play.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

By virtue of its brevity, I did actually enjoy it more than Heroes. Much of that is owed to the special stages. Though endlessly frustrating to drop off the edge right before the goal, I adored Chaotix's special stages.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Zeta wrote:Chaotix actually is worse than Sonic Heroes. It's like Sonic Heroes, done in 2D
If I may ask, why exactly do people like to compare Chaotix with Sonic Heroes? Apart from both of them being clunky games forcing you to manage multiple characters at a time, the gameplay of both are completely different. Chaotix is about navigating levels with you connected to a bungie cord and a second player, whilst Heroes is about switching characters to overcome certain obstacles.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Chaotix is plenty fun if you know how to properly use the bungie cord. When done right, you can use your partner to launch yourself 50 feet into the air, or even catapult yourself halfway across the stage.

In fact, I daresay I wouldn't mind if the bungie gimmick were reused in a later title, but knowing Sonic Team, it wouldn't be a pretty sight. Especially in 3D.
Last edited by Ritz on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Zeta wrote:Yeah, Chaotix actually is worse than Sonic Heroes.
I pretty much stopped reading there.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Chaotix marked the end of an era.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Chaotix was 2 player, which is the only way I've ever played it. That and Charmy fix any problems you might have with the controls.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I remember renting a 32x as a kid just to play Chaotix. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, but it occupied me.

Which is how I feel about Heroes. It constantly occupied me during my play through it, but scarcely entertained.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I suspect Heroes would've been a lot better and less confusing if you just started with Speed Formation and a couple of basic moves and had to collect the other team abilities by performing in-level subquests. "You've unlocked Flight Formation" - followed by an explanation. This would've encoraged backtracking through the levels and more clever level design.

DackAttac

I don't know how to read, but I've got a lot of toys

Post by DackAttac »

I suspect Heroes would have been better if they just scrapped the whole team-play concept altogether. In terms of what the levels actually looked like (not how they played), it probably looked the most like a Sonic game out of all the 3D titles, but controlling 3 characters at once was glitchy, tedious. and ruined it.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Chaotix:
Great art direction
Great music
Great Special Stages
Great character designs
Great concept

Too bad the level design was non-existent (felt like I was playing some kind of beta test version), as was the learning/difficulty curve (a lot due to the random stage selection), the control scheme was erratic (the rubber band should have been a special move, not a permanent feature), all the characters played the same, there was little feeling of challenge (it would take great effort to lose a life) and the standard enemies were forgettable.

It's a damn shame to see so much good stuff go to waste on a bad game.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Heroes is easily better than Chaotix as far as I'm concerned. At least at points Heroes provided me with something that came close to resembling fun and I actually cared enough to finish the game, even if it did take me a year of casual play to do so.

Chaotix, on the other hand, I doubt I'll ever touch again. The ring gameplay is northing short of a travesty in its execution and I'm amazed it was given the green light. I'm probably more likely to beat Sonic 3D, a game over which I'd rather sandpaper my eyes than play again, than I am to ever even get halfway through Chaotix.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

The fact is that Chaotix was created as a showcase game, remember, it was released quite early on and let's face it, sometimes the first games on a console don't look great to be honest.
Also, Heroes was was on the other end of the scale, it was released on multiple consoles when the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube were quite old. If Sega had the time (and balls) to do all that then the product should be of a good standard, otherwise it's just false confidence.

All we got out of Heroes was a substandard game when there was the ability to make graphically better games.
Gameplay-wise, it's not too bad but like Chaotix it could have been more polished.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Whoa. I've never played Chaotix but I'd heard it was fairly run-of-the-mill, but you guys are arguing about wether it's better than Heroes???

The fact that I've never played it has always been a major annoyance. I've always wanted to. If it had been on Gems I would've got it on release day rather than waiting so long. It just looked cool in screenshots. Closest I've come is that wierd Sonic/Tails development game doing the rounds on Emulator sites.

So, it is actually terrible? Rats.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Dunjohn wrote:Whoa. I've never played Chaotix but I'd heard it was fairly run-of-the-mill, but you guys are arguing about wether it's better than Heroes???
That statement right there just made me realize how pointless this whole thread is. We are arguing about which game sucked more, who cares, they both sucked!

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Chaotix pretty much had the Sonic CD art direction, so I heartily disagree with your noise.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Dunjohn wrote:Whoa. I've never played Chaotix but I'd heard it was fairly run-of-the-mill, but you guys are arguing about wether it's better than Heroes???

The fact that I've never played it has always been a major annoyance. I've always wanted to. If it had been on Gems I would've got it on release day rather than waiting so long. It just looked cool in screenshots. Closest I've come is that wierd Sonic/Tails development game doing the rounds on Emulator sites.

So, it is actually terrible? Rats.
If you ever happen to emulate it, be sure to have a controller hooked up. The control scheme is even more cumbersome with a keyboard.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Kishi wrote:If you ever happen to emulate it, be sure to have a controller hooked up. The control scheme is even more cumbersome with a keyboard.
The keyboard's not too bad until that platform section in Techno Tower. EVIL!

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Actually, you can get through that entire section in one shot if you don't suck.

Observe.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ritz wrote:Chaotix is plenty fun if you know how to properly use the bungie cord. When done right, you can use your partner to launch yourself 50 feet into the air, or even catapult yourself halfway across the stage.

In fact, I daresay I wouldn't mind if the bungie gimmick were reused in a latter title, but knowing Sonic Team, it wouldn't be a pretty sight. Especially in 3D.
Youre the man! Chaotix is Good depending on How good are you! Heroes is crap, Plus atleast the Story in Chaotix was way cooler and didnt suck, and it had this Sonic CD atmosphere you cant deny, and Music that revives your soul...Handsdown its one of the most beautiful games around. its just that people start being crybabies and give up because of the bungie cord, Not like Ritz and I that know how to harness its true power! this game also had a great sense of speed wich was nice! but that was if you knew how to control it. 2 Players its a blast! but only if youre inteligent and youre good friends with player 2.

Plus Mega Metal Sonic Owns..if thats his name! Metal Sonic actually had a decent role in this one, and his final form wasnt shit, it actually looked Demonish! which was Metal Sonic persona in the old games.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

SegaSonic wrote: this game also had a great sense of speed wich was nice!

2 Players its a blast!
Sounds almost like an advertisement.