The next console sonic game should be 2d, I kid you not.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Wooduck51

The next console sonic game should be 2d, I kid you not.

Post by Wooduck51 »

Think about it, 2d sonic games are just better.

It has been proven you can succeed with 2d on a console, think the Zelda game four swords adventures, and especially viewtiful Joe.You can do a ton in 2d, you could still do chaos attacks, you can do grinding, homing, punching, kicking, and of course all the tried and true sonic moves work better in 2d. The game could be long and beautiful, if done in 2d you could do tons of special effects, levels, almost anything you wanted!

I will silence myself now, but what say ye?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Think about it!

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Esrever wrote:Think about it!
no u

The T

Post by The T »

*cough cough* Sonic Advance[s].

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

bset of the net!!1

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

The T wrote:*cough cough* Sonic Advance[s].
I think he means a bigger platform. But I don't know how it'd be better. 'Sides, the DS seems to have that base covered.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Also, I think he was referring to good 2-D Sonic games, which the trio of Sonic Advance games failed to deliver on. Only the third is worth playing.

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Only if Hideki Naganuma does the music. Unrestrained by the DS hardware this time.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The Mega Drive Sonic games aren't better because they're 2D, they're better because they're better. Sonic hasn't worked too well in 3D yet, but it could do, with the aid of competent developers. We've already had four fantastic 2D Sonic games, whilst the enormous and exciting potential of a great 3D Sonic game has yet to be tapped.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Besides, asking a Sega to make a game in 2d now is asking them to take a step back. Even if the games are relatively crap I would rather play a crap 3d game and know that steps are being taken forward than play a crap 2d game and not.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Crazy Penguin wrote:The Mega Drive Sonic games aren't better because they're 2D, they're better because they're better. Sonic hasn't worked too well in 3D yet, but it could do, with the aid of competent developers. We've already had four fantastic 2D Sonic games, whilst the enormous and exciting potential of a great 3D Sonic game has yet to be tapped.
I wouldn't quite call them "fantastic", but they were certainly more playable than the 3D games were.

Except Sonic Advance 3. I really do hate that game.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I was referring to good sonic games, not the sonic advances; and on a console like revolution or Xbox. I know that you can make a good Sonic game in 3d, we've seen glimpses of what a good 3d sonic game can be like, but it seems that the current people at sonic team have problems with 3d, they seem to do better in 2d, so until a drastic staff change happens or an enlightenment on the behalf of the current team, I say do more 2d games.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:
Crazy Penguin wrote:The Mega Drive Sonic games aren't better because they're 2D, they're better because they're better. Sonic hasn't worked too well in 3D yet, but it could do, with the aid of competent developers. We've already had four fantastic 2D Sonic games, whilst the enormous and exciting potential of a great 3D Sonic game has yet to be tapped.
I wouldn't quite call them "fantastic", but they were certainly more playable than the 3D games were.

Except Sonic Advance 3. I really do hate that game.
I meant Sonic 1, 2, 3&K and CD. The Advance games suck.
I know that you can make a good Sonic game in 3d, we've seen glimpses of what a good 3d sonic game can be like, but it seems that the current people at sonic team have problems with 3d, they seem to do better in 2d, so until a drastic staff change happens or an enlightenment on the behalf of the current team, I say do more 2d games.
What was the last 2D game Sonic Team made?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

How many Apollo missions had to be launced to finally get to the moon? It's not like they said "Hey, I know, lets go to the moon" and do it all in one go like Wallace and Gromit.
This kind of shits done in stages, I don't know how long it will take for the greatest 3d Sonic game to be made but concentrating on making 3d games will allow them to do some trial and error to get the result quicker.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

How many Apollo missions had to be launced to finally get to the moon? It's not like they said "Hey, I know, lets go to the moon" and do it all in one go like Wallace and Gromit.
This kind of shits done in stages, I don't know how long it will take for the greatest 3d Sonic game to be made but concentrating on making 3d games will allow them to do some trial and error to get the result quicker.
"Done in stages", huh?

How many crappy 3D Mario games did Nintendo have to go through before they reached perfection with Mario 64?

Oh, that's right - none.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

How many perfections have they had since then?

Sunshine was cool, but it wasn't perfection.

The T

Post by The T »

Yeah, but Nintendo has only tried it again once. Sonic Team has had 3 extra tries.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Sunshine was bollocks. The entire game was built around Mario's gimmick water device instead his own abilities, which was the greatest aspect of Super Mario 64. The sunny tropical theme eventually leaves me wanting something more varied, and the story makes me wonder why they bothered at all. I thought it was alright when I first bought it and it's still an okay game now, but my feelings haven't softened with age.

Sonic could make a breakthrough in 3D if they only focused on the right ideas.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I actually really liked the moveset introduced by the waterpack. The hovering ability really took the fear out of some of the more infuriating jumps. Spraying a water path and then belly-sliding along it was pretty neat, too. I thought the "cleaning spray" bit was overused, but it wasn't a deal-breaker. The visuals and structure of the levels, on the other hand...

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Present day Sonic Team never personally made a 2D Sonic game. Dimps has developed all the pocket titles since '98, and the Genesis titles were handled by several different software development teams.

Does anyone know which team designed Sonic CD btw? Was it AM8?

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Fine with me, despite some of my forum posts I have enjoyed all 3d sonic games despite their flaws, I just ignore them. But I though it could be cool to see another 2d game, if it was good of course. I don't wan't a new 2d game if it is going to suck, so I guess that it comes back to I just want a really good game, in either 2d or 3d.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

So ... what's wrong with Rush?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Zeta wrote: "Done in stages", huh?

How many crappy 3D Mario games did Nintendo have to go through before they reached perfection with Mario 64?

Oh, that's right - none.
Point taken, Mario 64 was kick ass and especially good for a first try. It's just a shame it's not always the case with every franchaise.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I'd like to see what people thought of Super Mario 64 if it wasn't the first true 3D platform game, and instead came out after Banjo Kazooie or something. It's good, I'll give you that, but I bet everyone's perception of the game is tainted with nostalgia (zomg real 3d!!1) no matter how subconscious. Just a thought.
What was the last 2D game Sonic Team made?
Wasn't Sonic The Hedgehog the only 2D game that Sonic Team actually made?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm your hypothetical guy, J-man! I never owned an N64, so I played Mario 64 for the first time just a few months ago. By that point, I'd already played Rayman 2, Sonic Adventure, and even Mario Sunshine.

I still thought Mario 64 was pretty fun. But whenever someone uses Mario as an example of a successful transition to 3D, I think that's kind of a cheat. I mean, asside from the visuals, the game has almost nothing specifically in common with the 2D titles. I'm sure that, if you completely ignored all the mechanics of the 2D Sonic games altogether, you could probably make a great 3D Sonic, too, because you're not tying yourself down... the only thing guiding your design is how enjoyable it is.

Everything about Mario 64 was different, from the controls to the level design to the health system to the powerups to the combat mechanics. I can't really see it as an extension or evolution of the 2D design at all. It was a Mario game in the same way that "Mario Tennis" or "Mario Teaches Typing" is a Mario game... because they put Mario in it. It was very much it's own thing.