Page 12 of 14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:39 pm
by Light Speed
Welcome to the GHZ.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:21 pm
by Baba O'Reily
Owen Axel wrote:No, I insinuated that the notion that I'd not know about sex is so preposterious that you must therefore have phrased your question wrong.

Forget it. This whole exchance was a dud from the get-go.


Your speeling errors make your message slightly less cohearant.

Na na na na. Na na na na. Hey hey. Goodbye.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:35 pm
by DackAttac
Omni Hunter wrote:How come whenever a topic goes on for long enough it boils down to sex or boobies?


You say that like you have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:56 pm
by Professor Machenstein
Breaking news: Shadow the Hedgehog included on 1UP's Top 10 WTF Moments of 2005 feature. In number 2.

It brings a good point too. The Genesis games did not have this city of multicolored furry characters poisoning the Sonic universe and sucking out all the individuality, and we, as adults, still love the classic games. The classic games did not need to resort to conformity by introducing things such as guns, heavy metal and cussing to appeal to us. What made the Genesis games so appealing to all ages and demographics was the level design, the surrealism and the atmosphere. Hell, I could play my copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in a downtown biker bar in front of all the fat bearded men with bandannas, and I still wouldn't be embarrassed to continue playing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:42 pm
by Omni Hunter
No, but I'd bet you would get the shit kicked out of you so they could have a go.
Unless you played Heroes, then they would just beat the shit out of you.

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:49 pm
by DackAttac
I'd have to agree with that comment about the atmosphere. I feel like the 2D levels had more character to them than the ARK ever did.

Even SA1 I'll give credit to for making each level its own entity. Around SA2, they went from 'atmosphere' to 'scenery'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:29 am
by j-man
Sonic was cool in the 90's because he had 90's attitude. Can you honestly watch the Turtles shouting "Cowabunga!" anymore and not feel slightly embarassed? The old games were made for the old days. Things change. Kids like anti-heroes with weapons now because that is the new "cool".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:15 am
by Ngangbius
However, the older games themselves manages to still be cool with adults today because it doesn't try to hard to take itself seriously with forced "maturity" starring funny cartoon animals. Truthfully, I would be more embarassed playing Shadow the Hedgehog alone let alone with other people than Sonic the Hedgehog with a group of strangers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:14 pm
by Light Speed
Yeah, I wouldn't be embarassed at all to play the 16 bit Sonic games, I'd probably be a little embarassed to play Shadow.

Speaking of Ninja Turtles, me and my friends watched the original live action movie over the break. That shit is hilarious. I guess it wasn't really funny in the '90s, but it's a comedy now. TORTLES!

Re: I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:42 pm
by jenkins
DackAttac wrote:I'd have to agree with that comment about the atmosphere. I feel like the 2D levels had more character to them than the ARK ever did.

Even SA1 I'll give credit to for making each level its own entity. Around SA2, they went from 'atmosphere' to 'scenery'.


That's an interesting way to put it. I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:51 pm
by Protodude
Light Speed wrote:Speaking of Ninja Turtles, me and my friends watched the original live action movie over the break. That shit is hilarious. I guess it wasn't really funny in the '90s, but it's a comedy now. TORTLES!


Have you seen the third one? Where they go back in time to Japan and become SAMURAAAIIII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:59 pm
by Senbei
DackAttac wrote:Even SA1 I'll give credit to for making each level its own entity. Around SA2, they went from 'atmosphere' to 'scenery'.

It's an interesting point. You'd think it'd be the other way around since the levels in SA2 were standalone, like Zones, while SA1 levels were based on location. SA2 was limited to about five environments: the city, the jungle, the desert, the mountains, and space. SA1, on the other hand explores a great variety of environments despite only three adventure fields.

Oh, and the Turtle Guy is far cooler than any one TMNT.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:17 pm
by Crazy Penguin
j-man wrote:Sonic was cool in the 90's because he had 90's attitude.


Sonic was cool in the 90s because the games were really really damn good.

Outside of the merchandise I don't recall Sonic ever having a "90s attitude". Everything from the classic games, even the Sonic CD cartoons, still holds up today.

I wonder how Shadow the Hedgehog will hold up 15 years from now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:41 pm
by Professor Machenstein
Crazy Penguin wrote:I wonder how Shadow the Hedgehog will hold up 15 years from now.

The same way Totally Rad for the NES does now. We'll probably just look back at it and scoff. Nothing major... Unless there happens to be some sort of "Where Are They Now?" esque TV special of the Sonic series, where the narrator goes "For every success, there's a downfall" or something crazy like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:59 pm
by SegaSonic
Dude, The Music was 90's! or 80's

Go here, My favorite 80's Station.

Songs like 'Bizzare Love triangle' reflect this style.

http://1015thepoint.com/

Also dont forget about Oshima and Lots of other people who left the team..that really affects the quality and the spirit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:28 pm
by j-man
@everyone who disagrees with me: all fair points of course, but you're not exactly the best people to ask. You all grew up with the old games. They were YOUR games. (I'm sure someone's said it before, but nostalgia no doubt also plays a part in keeping the memory of the older games sparkly and sexy.) The games brought out now, conversely, are a whole new animal. They're being tailored especially for what the kids of today want. You and I are not the kids of today and so, unfortunate as it is, we will never "get it" like we did with the 16-bit era. The kids today, however, WILL "get it" because that's what they have grown, and still are growing, up with. They've got their own thing now. In 15 years time, kids will be playing something else different, today's kids will be reminiscing about the good old days of jacking cars and shooting guys in the head, and we'll all be selling our copies of Sonic on Antiques Roadshow on BBC1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:10 pm
by Omni Hunter
So in ten years time he kids will be like us and we will be even worse?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:16 pm
by SegaSonic
Hopefully Im gone by then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:33 pm
by Plorpus III
Hopefully you're gone tomorrow.
Shoo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:02 pm
by Ngangbius
I'm willing to bet the kids of today in 15 years time will have more fonder memories of Jak and Ratchet and Clank than any of the current Sonic games seeing that the first two franchises are arguably more popular than the last one. =P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:07 pm
by Double-S-
Protodude wrote:
Light Speed wrote:Speaking of Ninja Turtles, me and my friends watched the original live action movie over the break. That shit is hilarious. I guess it wasn't really funny in the '90s, but it's a comedy now. TORTLES!

Have you seen the third one? Where they go back in time to Japan and become SAMURAAAIIII


BUT NINJA AND SAMURAI ARE MORTAL ENEMIES

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:14 pm
by j-man
Ngangbius wrote:I'm willing to bet the kids of today in 15 years time will have more fonder memories of Jak and Ratchet and Clank than any of the current Sonic games seeing that the first two franchises are arguably more popular than the last one. =P

Well, I didn't mean they'd remember Sonic specifically. I just meant the new archetypes of what is cool in society.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:15 pm
by Baba O'Reily
Ninjas and samurai were fucking sissies.

ROMAN LEGIONS AND/OR VIKINGS FOR THE WIN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:36 pm
by j-man
Yeah, none of that pussy sneaking around or honourable killing shit. Vikings turned up, kicked everyone's asses (especially pregnant women and the elderly) drank all the ale, stole a load of cool shit and spread their hardcore Viking seed to all the nubile young virgins before sailing off into the sunset, laughing like drains. Well, that's my Friday night plans sorted.

Fuck the Romans, though. Asterix could take those dudes out two at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:39 pm
by Omni Hunter
Yeah, but it ruins my Friday night, and Saturday morning.
Obelix owned over Asterix anyway IMVFHO.