Kingdom Hearts 2 = Fandom Wank of the Year

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Great, that's just what I need, another Xenosaga.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Meh, developers always make claims that their game is "100 hours long" or "Thrice as long as the previous one!!" or some shit like that. I bet you the final product will top-out at 20 hours, max.

Though maybe the length is the reason the game has been delayed so many times...

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Or maybe it's because Nomura's been working on unnecessary projects since the first Kingdom Hearts, like Final Fantasy X-2, Chain of Memories, the PS2 Musashi sequel, and Advent Children.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Baba O'Reily wrote:
Kishi wrote:
Baba O'Reily wrote:So how long is this game going to be? With all of this fanservice, I'd think that it might take a while.
Nomura said that there's enough content in KHII to fill four games. That's got to be hyperbole, but yeah, it's going to be a long one.
Dear Jesus. I don't have time to play that.
Then how do you have time to be here? Hmmmm...

I'm actually looking forward to a good, loooooong game. Longer game=potential for more stuff. This doesn't guarantee that it'll rock, but it does give me hope. Plus, the original was great, even with all those stupid Disney Characters running around.

And how is Advent Children a waste of time?

The T

Post by The T »

jenkins wrote:Plus, the original was great, even with all those stupid Disney Characters running around.
You really thought the gameplay was it's shining point? The game had plot, great characters, interest uses of locale, everything Squaresoft is known for... but the gameplay, of all things, was truly and utterly terrible. It's like trying to mix Zelda and Mario by people who have never made either, and then tacking a menu system to play with while you're trying to do battle.

Those "stupid Disney Characters" are one of it's few redeeming qualities.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

^You forgot about mentioning the godawful camera and I agree with your opinion about the Disney characters. They are more memorable than those 'stupid Final Fantasy characters'.
jenkins wrote:
And how is Advent Children a waste of time?
Advent Children did not need to be made. Infact, none of those FFVII spin-offs/sequels needed to be created.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Also, it's terrible.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

What they said. Kingdom Hearts is a great game, but the gameplay and camera were pretty darn tedious/crappy (whether KH2's fixed gameplay/camera will redeem it depends), and I do perfer most of the Disney characters to the Final Fantasies. I love my FFs as well, Disney just had that better charm.

Plus, I'm sick and tired of FF7 and it's overwhored-ness. Advent Children was a decent film, but I could do without the six thousand FF7 sequel Square's shoving down my throat.
~Neo

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Neo Yi wrote:What they said. Kingdom Hearts is a great game, but the gameplay and camera were pretty darn tedious/crappy (whether KH2's fixed gameplay/camera will redeem it depends), and I do perfer most of the Disney characters to the Final Fantasies. I love my FFs as well, Disney just had that better charm.

Plus, I'm sick and tired of FF7 and it's overwhored-ness. Advent Children was a decent film, but I could do without the six thousand FF7 sequel Square's shoving down my throat.
~Neo
Actually, my favorite part of Kingdom Hearts was the multiple world system. I can't really explain it, I just liked it. The gameplay wasn't too bad (the movement mechanics were conveniently simple), and while I did have issues with the battle system (I prefer turn based battles), it wasn't enough to detract from the overall easiness of the game.

Although I suppose I'm alone on this issue, I've never thought of Disney characters as charming. The FF characters, while cooler in their respective original games, were still superior to the Disney ones.

What's this about 6,000 sequels to FFVII? I count...one game (Dirge of Cerberus, which I think is a ridiculous idea anyway) and one movie (Advent Children: amazing battle sequences, fantastic animation, even a plot!). Oh yeah, there's also Before Crisis: PREQUEL! NOT SEQUEL! If you want to talk about over-whoredness, look at the way Disney treats its "classics."

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

1. Before Crisis
2. Advent Children
3. Dirge of Cerberus
4. Crisis Core

It doesn't matter whether they're prequels or sequels or whatever. The point is that they're overdoing it.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Hell, even one sequel to the game is too much. =P

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Although I suppose I'm alone on this issue, I've never thought of Disney characters as charming. The FF characters, while cooler in their respective original games, were still superior to the Disney ones.
I like Final Fantasy stuff, too (For pete's sake, I have a FF character as my avator currently), but I just like Disney better. Unlike with FF, I grew up with Disney and it's movies/cartoons/characters, so obviously, it has a much more bigger impact on me. Besides, who isn't more cooler then an foul tempered duck? Certainly not Cloud freakin' Strife.
What's this about 6,000 sequels to FFVII?
Joke.
Oh yeah, there's also Before Crisis: PREQUEL! NOT SEQUEL!
Who cares if it's a prequel? It's still the same FF7 cashcowed material. A movie I can deal with. Fine. Advent Children was a good enough movie that I will buy it on DVD when it comes to America, but I don't need anything else. Seriously. It's unnecessary.
~Neo

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Ngangbius wrote:Hell, even one sequel to the game is too much. =P
Agreed. I was much happier with my "well, everybody died. Whoops." scenario. I did not want Tseng and Rufus alive, and I did not want Aeris-wan Kenobi. It was pretty, but they could have used that pretty for something else. Anything else.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I think the record now for Morrowind is seven minutes.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I haven't seen Advent Children yet but I'm curious, is there any explanation at all to how Tseng survived, or where he was for the rest of the game?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Delphine wrote:I did not want Tseng and Rufus alive
OMG GUESS WHO ELSE IS ALIVE LOL

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Delphine wrote:
Ngangbius wrote:Hell, even one sequel to the game is too much. =P
I did not want Tseng and Rufus alive, and I did not want Aeris-wan Kenobi.
That wasn't Tseng in the movie, that was one of the new Turks from Before Crisis.

I really didn't think AC was all that bad, but then again, I came at it with somewhat lowered expectations after hearing my friends talk about it. The story was below what I was expecting, but the fights were nice. It reminds me of some of the more recent FF games; pretty but lacking substance.

Actually, you could say that about everything that Square Enix has created in the last few years. Well, except for Dragon Quest 8, and that wasn't even developed by them.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

That wasn't Tseng in the movie, that was one of the new Turks from Before Crisis.
What are you talking about? The turks in Advent Children were all the original four from FF7. That IS Tseng in there.

As much as I thought it was cheap bringing him back. I thought bringing Rufus back was a bit cheap too, but I admit, I was happy to see him, only because I'm a deluded Rufus fangirl. He seems to be the only FF7 character I care about.
I haven't seen Advent Children yet but I'm curious, is there any explanation at all to how Tseng survived, or where he was for the rest of the game?
No.
Last edited by Neo Yi on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Squirrelknight wrote:That wasn't Tseng in the movie, that was one of the new Turks from Before Crisis.
Dude, it's Tseng. It is <b>so</b> Tseng it's not even funny. The new members do not exist past the point of Last Order, the title alone suggests hunting down Zack was their final mission. Never mind that none of them had any real names to begin with. Of course, the actual game suggest Tseng perished inside that ruin, but it looks like that tidbit's been retconned.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

James McGeachie wrote:I haven't seen Advent Children yet but I'm curious, is there any explanation at all to how Tseng survived, or where he was for the rest of the game?
I've heard that his death was a "mistranslation", but that's only rumor.

If you do watch it, just turn the sound off. It's very pretty and you don't need to know what's going on. Or, well, the music is nice. Just don't bother with subtitles or dubbing.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I don't know how I guy getting slashed with a huge sword and then lying on the floor not responding to "talk to this person" button could be construed as a mistranslation.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Apparently you missed the part where reality is sort of subjective in FFVII.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Dude, I lay down all the time and don't respond to people messing around with circles and the like.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Still not as bad as Final Fantasy X - where you're only dead if you WANT to be dead according to the plot, but can still lose by being killed in battle.

After your HP drops to zero, the game should've given you an option screen: "Would you like to Die?" Then you could select "No" and continue.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Hey, just like in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.