The Ideal 3D Sonic Game

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Not trying to be a prick, but does this link have spoilers or something?
And just to add up: it's a proven fact that people who played SA2 before SA like it more, and vice-versa.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Sonic should of died with the STI...

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Sonic wouldn't die out in 5 years, if anything they are killing him quicker by making shit like Sonic Heroes.

Sonic basically didn't even have a real game on the Saturn, aside from R and 3D Blast. I went from playing S3&K to owning a PS1 instead of a Saturn and I fucking ran back to Sega when the DC came out with SA1.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

What I meant about FFVII, and Final Fantasy in general, is that the game and series have a bit more of a reputation than Sonic that, perhaps, entitles them to that long-lasting fan support. I'm not sure that Sonic had that much support by SA2, which is what I was referencing to in my post as the "last good game." Besides, the whole post was purely theoretical; just explaining my hope that STH '06 will get it right.

For the record, I played SA2 first and it is my favorite of the two.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Sonic Heroes was the first 3D Sonic game I played. Unsurprisingly, the rule doesn't apply to that one. It's not even that great when you don't have superior 3D Sonic titles to compare it with.

It doesn't bode well when the entire game can be summarised with one famous phrase: "I fucking hate bottomless pits"

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Brazillian Cara wrote:
Not trying to be a prick, but does this link have spoilers or something?
And just to add up: it's a proven fact that people who played SA2 before SA like it more, and vice-versa.
None that I saw. There's a few clips of the intro, but mostly the videos are of the intro, first stage and the second stage (in the neutral storyline - Glyphic Canyon).

GabetheEchidna

Post by GabetheEchidna »

Getting back on topic, I think that the ideal 3D Sonic game would be one where you only control Sonic. All the other characters are NPCs. Eggman is the main villain, and he betrays someone rather than than being betrayed. Super Sonic is fully playable, but there are no Special Zones(though this is kind of a paradox). The game still has an in-depth story, but without the plotholes from SA2 and Shadow. No Cream the Rabbit, Chaotix, Big, or E-123 Omega. And leave out GUN. NO EXPLORATION LEVELS. THAT SHIT MADE ME CRY WHEN I PLAYED SA2!

Neo

Post by Neo »

This is why the polar opposites of the Sonic community shouldn't be brought together in any way or means possible.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

It's so nice to have a new punching bag.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Is it written somewhere that newbies always have to dig up really, really ancient topics and bump them for no reason?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:Is it written somewhere that newbies always have to dig up really, really ancient topics and bump them for no reason?
Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. Why the hell would <b>anyone</b> so new go that far back, let alone post in them? It's absolutely retarded, yet it keeps happening pretty much <i>everywhere</i>...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Perhaps they try to educate themselves by going through all the archives and reading the topics they think themselves most knowledgeable about. Then when they find a particularly juicy topic they post in it under the guise of "getting back on topic" just so they can show everyone what they think to be their most excellent and flawless opinon, and they'll totally become a mod or something woo.

Or maybe they're just 'tards. I dunno. I mean, damn, kid. Oct. 2005? What the hell?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Man, this thread is probably older than he is!

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Aw snap, yo!

Shit, man, you just gonna take that shit?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

GabetheEchidna wrote:NO EXPLORATION LEVELS. THAT SHIT MADE ME CRY WHEN I PLAYED SA2!
Aww, diddums. Newsflash! Exploration in an integral part of gameplay in a lot of platformers, including most of the Sonic series.
Besides, I enjoyed the exporation levels, possibly even more than quite a few of the other characters levels.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Ways to improve Sonic series.

Story
Get rid of the President.
It's just incredibly corny and cheesy to have Sonic meeting the
President.

Make GUN more Sinister and Mysterious.
I liked GUN in SA2, mainly becuase i didnt know what GUN stood for,
who GUN worked for, and why they had Shadow locked away. They
were kinda this mysterious group who was ready to kill anybody that
knew, or tried to find out their secrets, and they had a bunch of robots
and technology, not to merntion a vast facility they resided in. Of course,
in Shadow the Hedgehog, they were more like regular Police Officers, and were the good guys too. I preferred Sonic, Shadow, Eggman all on the run, or fighting GUN. (hey i made a rhyme) And i preferred not knowing what GUN stood for. They were quite interesting in SA2.

STOP MAKING NEW CHARACTERS
Every single game is clogged with new characters. Just watch the intro of Shadow the Hedgehog which shows Sonic running alongside Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Vector, Espio, Charmy and Rouge. It's proof Sonic has WAYYY too many allies. I mean, you can't have a game where Sonic has 15 sidekicks following him. It was nice to see new characters like Tikal, and Chaos in SA1, Maria and Shadow in SA2, but with every new game, Sonic Team is just churning out as many new characters as they possibly can.

Stop Using Shadow
I liked him in SA2. He died though. Enough.

Gameplay

-Give Sonic a speed gauge, and when it reaches the max, have everything get all blurry around him when he runs, and make it so anything in his path is knocked away, big or small.

-It's been stated many a time, but no more treasure hunting.

-More wide-open areas to explore, as one user stated, have Sonic free to roam around, like the intro to Sonic CD.

-When Super Sonic, have it somewhat like Panzar Dragoon, inwhich you are actually travelling through a level as you fly, instead of just a blank space, like in Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog's "super" battles. And the boss could knock piece of the level at you. (like if you're in a canyon of some sort, like Panzar Dragoon's first level, it could knock pillars at you. And slowly you'd travel upwards towards the sky, then swereve back down towards the ground throughout the level, or go through a city at night and have to dodge buildings.)

-I second the idea of getting a speed boost item that you can activate whenever you wish to get a quick burst of speed.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Well, while we're here I'll point something out:

Espio is a chameleon.
Chameleons can blend into their surroundings.
Ninjas are stealthy by definition.
Ergo, Espio being a ninja is a matter of putting 2 & 2 together. It certainly makes more sense than Tails being a mechanic.

*shouts to the heavens* HE FLIES UNDER HIS OWN POWER! WHY DOES HE HAVE A PLANE?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Putting Tails in a mecha is like putting Sonic in a car, and to me was just as jarring on both accounts.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Team Mecha wrote:*shouts to the heavens* HE FLIES UNDER HIS OWN POWER! WHY DOES HE HAVE A PLANE?
It's been demonstrated in nearly every game featuring Tails that, while he can fly, he does get tired fairly quickly. Difficult to cross, say, an ocean when you can only fly in 10 second intervals.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

He can swin aswell though, so he could alternate between the two.
Sorry, just being a tad anal there.
Tails having a mech or a plane for the majority of the game does suck though. It suited Eggman, but Tails should really stick to about 1 or 2 levels in the plane (if at all).

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The original Tornado was Sonic's plane.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

It even said "SONIC" on the side. And "CINOS" on the other side.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Crazy Penguin wrote:The original Tornado was Sonic's plane.
Sonic 2 lore goes that Tails admired the Tornado so much, Sonic gave it to Tails, didn't he? (although that contradicts with Sonic Adventure; as I recall, Sonic says, "Why didn't you use my plane, the Tornado?")

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

It was sort of an unofficial gift. He let Tails tinker with it and fly it whenever he wanted, but apparently he reserved the right to take it back if he needed it.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Eight Words: Sonic Adventure updated whith no Big the Cat