The Ideal 3D Sonic Game

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

If you're going to add a detective agency, go gung-ho and have Encyclopedia Brown lead the way. Now THERE'S a gumshoe.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Wasn't Espio originally the only one who was a detective anyway?

I prefer the pre-SH Espio than Ninja!Espio in which I agree with CM that it is trite.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Sonic Adventure 2 also had cool music in its cut-scenes. Sonic Adventure 1 had the music so loud you couldn't hear a damn thing, PLUS they were pretty boring.
Another thing any game should have, sounds volume and music volume control.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Sonic Adventure 2 also had cool music in its cut-scenes. Sonic Adventure 1 had the music so loud you couldn't hear a damn thing,
Funny, I thought the opposite was true--SA2's music drowned out the sound of the dialogue while I could hear it perfectly in SA1.

CM August

Post by CM August »

For some reason, the Japanese audio isn't as loud as the English in SADX. It may also be the case with the Dreamcast version, but my console no longer works...

By the way. Though SA2's cutscenes were much more advanced than SA's (with unique, entirely scripted movements and the like), Senbei missed Frieza's original point.
Frieza2000 wrote:SA2's story tried to put what could have been a full length scifi movie into 5 minutes of cut scenes. It felt rushed and disjointed. It could've been dramatic and cool, but it moves so fast it trips over its own feet. SA1 did better in that respect.
He is talking about the plot itself, not the quality of the cutscenes.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

'K.
In that case, I don't disagree.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I like the Sonic Heroes Espio and Charmy. The ninja thing wasn't all that new, it was already established that Espio trained for fighting a lot, and in Sonic the Fighters he uses karate chop-like attacks. Added with the chameleon's ability to camoflage itself it made sense for him to be a ninja.

Making Team Chaotix a detective agency was a great move, it differentiates even more them from the other characters.

Vector in Sonic Heroes is a big step down from his look in Chaotix though.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Vector in Sonic Heroes is a big step down from his look in Chaotix though.
Yeah. "WIDE LOAD" Vector sucks. He's got... no neck or anything. Too wide, not tall enough.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I disagree, Vector was tall enough, just too wide and too bling-bling. Espio's body could have been a bit taller though, and they should have kept his green and black boots.

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

So...we're all in agreement that it would be just plain hysterical if Charmy got butt-raped by eight men with spike-covered penises?

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Considering he's a bee, it'd be an unpleasant experience for everyone involved. 'sides, judging by his tone of voice it already happened once.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I still can't get over his voice. I only first heard it a few days ago, for the Shadow game. Was he always this bad?! I assumed somebody would have slaughtered Sega en masse for raping their childhood by now. I've actually been told his Heroes voice was worse.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

CM August wrote:I still can't get over his voice. I only first heard it a few days ago, for the Shadow game. Was he always this bad?! I assumed somebody would have slaughtered Sega en masse for raping their childhood by now. I've actually been told his Heroes voice was worse.
Depends on who you ask. Heroes Charmy was much more squeaky and androgynous. Shadow Charmy actually sounds somewhat male, but is given worse vapid dialog ("LOL, WHAT'S A SECRET DISK?"). Heroes Charmy just sounded like a hyperactive little kid.

Personally, I don't prefer either, as they both need to drop off the face of the planet.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Now, what about Shadow's voice? Is that guy making at least a "not bad" job?

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

David Humphrey? He does a pretty damn good job capturing the aura of Shadow.

...Did that sound gay to you? Using the word "aura," I mean.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Wait...if his first name is David...is he the one who dubbed Shadow in the other games? Or it's just a coincidence?

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

I don't like Shadow's voice in past games. It sounds like he's trying too hard to be gruff and uncaring. I much prefer the Japanese voice, which is very calm and cool. For example:

(upon reaching the Goal Ring in SA2)
English Shadow: "Here we go...!"
Japanese Shadow: "Yoshi." ("Cool.")

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Brazillian Cara wrote:Now, what about Shadow's voice? Is that guy making at least a "not bad" job?
Both Sonic and Shadow (both apparently voiced by one actor) sound like they are doing their best to impersonate the previous voice actors (Drummond and Humphrey).

The Shadow impersonation comes off very close to how the old actor sounded; but it's still off enough to the point where you can tell it's somebody different.

Sonic... sounds like Ryan Drummond with a head cold.

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/734/734824/vids_1.html

To hear for yourself (they were just put up a couple days ago).

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Are we still talking about Heroes, or Shadow the Hedgehog?

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

The Doc wrote:Are we still talking about Heroes, or Shadow the Hedgehog?
I assumed Shadow. Shadow in Heroes sounded like... Shadow in SA2. Because... it was.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Since this whole topic in general has been done to death, I fished up a few of the previous ones to look at.

A few late SA2 questions

How To Make A Better Sonic Game

What can save the Sonic series?

Read them. Also, I like to think this topic is bringing some nice stuff to the table as well.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Green Gibbon! (in that third link) wrote:After the completion of S&K, their plan was to wait 5 years before starting the next Sonic game.
This was a good idea, and still is one. I can imagine the hype that would revolve around a Sonic game after a five-year wait, plus it would give Sonic Team to straighten themselves out, dust themselves off, and really concentrate. However, it's quite possible, in this fast-paced and commercial industry, that in that five-year gap, Sonic fandom would die. Sure, those who had been there for the original platformers would remain faithful, but the new gamers who'd have grown up on Jak and Daxter, random RPG characters, and the endless horde of Nintendo mascots would have no idea what this blue spiky thing in red sneakers was.

So there must be a way to keep the fandom. The obvious solution would be to release "staller" games that do not live up to the standard of past games, but keep the interest of the masses. Then, finally, on the five-year mark, release a game that picks up from the last "good" game -- returning to the creativeness, the speed, and the personality while simultaneously bettering the previous gameplay, adding new moves, and adding an all-new feeling to the game. Essentially, reinventing and ... returning to the ... roots of ...

wait.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Senbei wrote:that in that five-year gap, Sonic fandom would die.
Haha. See: <i>Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children.</i>

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Yeah, but Sonic is not FF7.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I was trying to make the point that big, popular fandoms don't really die out even if there's no media to keep them going. The FFVII fancommunity was alive and well up to the point AC was announced. Then it fucking exploded. Hell, the FFVIII fandom is doing pretty well, and I doubt there's ever going to be a FFVIII movie.