How to stimulate a woman, Gunstar stlye.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Nevermind, dear, we'll tell you when you're older.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Oh, and he had the spikiest hair in the game. Making him automatically the most badass.

As much as I love Tetsuya Nomura's artwork, I'm really getting tired of the spiky hair that japanese anime/video games/whatever media is so fascinated with. That and all the girly looking guys.
~Neo

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Well, I decided to give this new Gunstar game a shot, and I must admit that it's quite a bit better than what I had expected. Which wasn't much. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game (Especially by today's standards), though not quite as good as the original. But you all knew that already.

First off, I was a bit dissapointed by the fact that this game is a remake and not a sequel. I wouldn't know if this is common knowledge by now, as I haven't been paying much attention to the game. Meh, really doesn't bother me much. Anyway, I've noticed that there's a frightening amount of minigames here. And only a few of them are any good. The worst of the bunch would certainly have to be the helicopter piloting segment; a top-view shooter not unlike arcade titles like Galaga, but with complete control over the direction of your flight.

So where do things go wrong? Well, to put things into perspective, imagine the overhead view levels from Contra 3. Only suckier. The controls are horrid, and while this is partially due to my awkward keyboard control scheme, I very much doubt it'd be any better on a Gameboy. There are bullets flying at you from all directions, and because the helicopter is about as fast as a turtle under the influence of some form of illegal substance, you wind up getting pinned between the bullets, and you'll eventually die about 5 seconds later. It's terribly unbalanced. Really, I was expecting much more from the guys that were responsible for Radiant Silvergun.

That doesn't mean that the game doesn't have it's share of good minigames, either. Okay, so it only has one. But it's deserving of it's merit. Basically, it's Flicky, Gunstar style. Really, it IS Flicky, right down to the birds and the exit doors and everything. Autopilot for win.

Okay, so aside from the minigames, the game's biggest flaw thus far is that it simply wasn't built for the GBA. That is, the screen is too small. At least, too small for Gunstar. You probably won't even notice the difference until you get to the Seven Force battle (Which I shall kindly refer to from here on out as "Bent Over A Table"). Of course, you'll adjust to it in time, but it does somewhat hurt the gameplay when there's no room to be able to tell what the hell is going on between the Crab Force's crushers and energy blasts and bullets and, of course, the array of explosions which take up a good portion of the screen.

Also, a great deal of stuff was left out. Smash Daisaku, for example, only appears once during the actual game; During the train scene in the mines. But even that isn't as cool as it used to be, as he no longer leaps atop the train to strike a queer pose. That pose was like, the whole point of the game. Also, remember the battle against the Core defense system of the Emperor's ship? Gone'd. That was one of the coolest fights of the game. And while I haven't finished the game yet, I've been told that Green whores the Seven Forces again instead of busting out his totally sweet ninja moves. Lame. I mean, yeah, the Forces are some of the coolest bosses ever, but you can only do so much with them before they get stale. At least, assuming that the spaceship scene hasn't been cut, and I bet it has. Also, I've heard that the ending has been cut. No idea how this'll work out, especially since the game seems to have a much more elaborate story this time around.

So yeah, while the game has it's flaws, it's still an excellent game. I might even consider buying this game, which would be the first time I've ever purchased a game when emulation is so readilly available.
Last edited by Ritz on Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's a REMAKE?

UUUUUAAAAAAAAGGGGGGUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Esrever wrote:UUUUUAAAAAAAAGGGGGGUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH!
Yeah, what he said.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Esrever wrote:UUUUUAAAAAAAAGGGGGGUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH!
It could be good!

CM August

Post by CM August »

I still maintain page one of the Shadow thread to be right up there with the archived greats.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm just saying, it would be really awesome if someone made a new game for the Gameboy Advance. That would be great!

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I also wouldn't mind seeing new games for the Nintendo DS, X-BOX 360, PlayStation2, PlayStation3, Gamecube...

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Ritz wrote: First off, I was a bit dissapointed by the fact that this game is a remake and not a sequel.
It's more like a remake that's trying to be a sequel, if you know what I mean. I've read that it's supposed to be set after the first game. I'd like to think there's a good reason for dropping White from the cast, like him being dead or something.
Ritz wrote: Also, a great deal of stuff was left out. Smash Daisaku, for example, only appears once during the actual game; During the train scene in the mines. But even that isn't as cool as it used to be, as he no longer leaps atop the train to strike a queer pose.
He doesn't even have the space to leap top the train. As you said, the screen is too small. Smash does appear once more in the game though, in Black's dice palace. Speaking of the dice palace, I was dissapointed to find that they left out Curry&Rice.
Ritz wrote: And while I haven't finished the game yet, I've been told that Green whores the Seven Forces again instead of busting out his totally sweet ninja moves.
I regret to inform you that it's true. This battle doesn't feature the Seven Force music either. Instead, we are treated to the music from the original Gunstar's ending scenes.

My only other problems is that the levels are a bit short. But maybe that's only because I'm playing in easy mode.

Still, I'll probably buy it. Does anyone know if there's any unlockable feautures in the game?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Cypher wrote:I regret to inform you that it's true. This battle doesn't feature the Seven Force music either. Instead, we are treated to the music from the original Gunstar's ending scenes.
Okay, now that just won't do. Bleh, I suppose it doesn't matter, since they fucked the song up anyway. But still, that tune needs to be used whenever possible.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

The new designs for "Sevenu Force" look amazing. The Blaster force in particular has undergone a massive change from the revolver it once was. They use, like, three attacks simultaneously making them insane-hard to dodge. And that's just easy mode.
There's written dialogue in the game too and I'm quite looking forward to see what sultry lines Pinky has.

I'm just hoping that Green is unlockable to play as in the game too although his costume looks like something from Mortal Kombat now.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

I was browsing the interweb and stumbled upon this rather swanky Gunstar Heroes Soundtrack

Has anyone else come across this? Any information on free downloads would be good, although I would willingly pay a fair deal of money for this!

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

It'd be a lot easier to just rip the music from the game. Any requests?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I believe the cd Cyph's going on about is the one with the enhanced tunes.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I own that CD. :D

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

the fully arranged soundtrack to Gunstar Heroes, featuring nearly an hour of legitimately cool music. Personally, I thought the game only got a couple of songs "right". But with this album, the improved instrumentation really shows off the potential of the compositions.
Is it any good G. Silv?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Yes. It's so good I think stealing it would be especially criminal, except that's the only way most people would ever hear it. I thought I knew a place where you could download the whole thing but I can't seem to find it.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Neo Yi wrote:
Oh, and he had the spikiest hair in the game. Making him automatically the most badass.

As much as I love Tetsuya Nomura's artwork, I'm really getting tired of the spiky hair that japanese anime/video games/whatever media is so fascinated with. That and all the girly looking guys.
~Neo
Belts.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I, um, I like the belts.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I like the belts, too. Personally, I usually enjoy the clothes designs Tetsuya makes for his characters with the sole exception of FFX's cast where like 99% of the entire population have some of the world's most fugliest outfits I have ever seen.
~Neo

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

The problem with Nomura's character designs is that they're incredibly unoriginal. Still, at least in FFVII and FFVIII the character designs were sensable and pleasing to the eyes. Then we got The Bouncer (Echidna, nuff said), FFX (are they pants or shorts?), Kingdom Hearts (not quite as bad, but Sora's design was pretty dumb) and Samurai Legend Musashi (WHY is he wearing a sports bra!?). All games in which Nomura tries to cover up his unoriginality by creating outfits so gaudy and silly looking they're an affront to all good aesthetic taste.

Oh, and he made Tifa's boobies smaller in Advent Children.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The bastard!

So, has anyone been playing Screw Breaker? Also, any word on a US release for the game?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

November 15th according to EB.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

The problem with Nomura's character designs is that they're incredibly unoriginal. Still, at least in FFVII and FFVIII the character designs were sensable and pleasing to the eyes. Then we got The Bouncer (Echidna, nuff said), FFX (are they pants or shorts?), Kingdom Hearts (not quite as bad, but Sora's design was pretty dumb) and Samurai Legend Musashi (WHY is he wearing a sports bra!?). All games in which Nomura tries to cover up his unoriginality by creating outfits so gaudy and silly looking they're an affront to all good aesthetic taste.

Like I said, I have little problem with the outfits sans FFX and their line of atrocius wear (although Yuna and Auron's outfit are sole exception), and that includes the halter top Musashi wears because I'm a fan of his belt filled, zipper obsessed outfits, but I agree that some of his characters are unoriginal, mostly in the hair department. I mean, for goodness sake, Sion from the Bouncer and Sora from KH both have visually the same hair color/style and there have been a couple of times I've mistaken one character design for another, so that's my only main grip.
~Neo