HD-TV

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
PSMad

HD-TV

Post by PSMad »

With the 360 approaching rather swiftly I've been thinking more about HD TV. I know it's possible to play the premium pack which comes with a HD compatible AV arial on a regular TV but there's a sudden push towards getting a HD TV because of the better quality picture.

I've only done some research and the most affordable TV I can find being this: http://www.be-direct.co.uk/productDetai ... ricerunner

Just wondered what you lot thought about this, if anyone owned a HD TV and could vouch for their quality or if you thought it was worth shelling out obscene amounts of cash for these things.

Cub

Post by Cub »

Everyone had better hurry up and buy an HDTV next year, or else you won't be able to watch 'The O'Reilly Factor' and your TV will explode.

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Cub wrote:Everyone had better hurry up and buy an HDTV next year, or else you won't be able to watch 'The O'Reilly Factor' and your TV will explode.
Actually, the end of "non-digital" broadcast was pushed back to 2009.

Cub

Post by Cub »

I think it'll be pushed back even further. Think of the millions of people (like myself) who won't be able to afford an HDTV, even four years from now. They're screwed, the television companies are screwed. There will be riots in the streets.

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

Too rich for my blood...

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Once you've seen and played on HD, you can't go back.

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

Double-S- wrote:Once you've seen and played on HD, you can't go back.
If I ever get an HD TV. Honestly though, I dont see the point. A tv is a tv.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

HD-TV is far, far superior to regular TV. Sadly, I lack the means to purchase such a wondrous device. Seeing as how my five year plan involves either winning Powerball or finding a sack of money on the side of the road, I don't forsee myself having one in the near future.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yeah, HD kicks ass. I actually think it's cool how Microsoft is mandating a 720p resolution for all of 360's games. At least this way we'll have developers being forced to develop for high-def outputs.

And I still think it's amazingly stupid for Nintendo to ignore HD completely. Honestly, HD is fast becoming the new standard, and as HD sets continue to get cheaper and cheaper, the number of people owning HD sets will obviously grow faster. What the hell were they thinking? I mean, it's not like it's even there as an option for these "rich" people who have HD TVs.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

HD TVs are still pretty goddamned expensive, last time I checked. Of course, when your system costs 400 bucks, and when 30% of Xbox LIVE users have incomes over $60,000 a year, I suppose a good chunk of your user base is probably going to own them. I'm not sure you'd be able to say the same of Nintendo's target audience, though.

Besides, even though a growing portion of TV sales are HD sets, most people do not buy a new TV very often. It's going to take more than four years for them to become any kind of "standard." The majority of folks this generation will still be using regular sets, and since Nintendo is trying to provide a budget system, I can at least understand why they aren't forcing all their developers to support the format. I just don't understand why they don't leave it as an option.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

As long as you're not looking for BIG SCREEN HD, a normal-sized HD TV can run only a 100 to 150 more than a regular set of about the same size. Which isn't all that bad, and in a few years it'll be even cheaper.

And not having support whatsoever is just incredibly stupid for Nintendo. Revolution games are going to look like utter crap for anyone with a big screen television.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Count me in as one of those poor people who has no money for HD, although I'm not in a rush to get a new TV anytime soon, not to mention there's already a pretty high chance I won't be getting an XBox 360 at all.
~Neo

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I agree with you guys. Who can resist the allure of HDTV? It's got higher resolution than real life!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I don't have the money to buy a new <i>regular</i> TV. My gaming TV is something like a decade old.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Money? What's that?

God, this is sorta depressing. I still have one of those GX gaming TVs from about 6 years ago, which was pretty good at the time. Weither or not it's still good today never really occured to me. Could my TV be... Obsolete?

sad.gif

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

Do any of you guys like... have a job? Or a credit card, come to think of it.

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

Post by Knuckles Dawson »

I just got my 50" Samsung DLP HDTV (HLP5063WX) just shy of two weeks ago, replacing my 43" Samsung DLP HDTV (HLN4365W). I can honestly say that playing videogames on it is truly an experience like no other. I tried playing S-Video (for colour testing reasons) on the same set and could barely stand it.

Also, I'm one of the few people who has never lost a penny buying multiple TVs. In fact, I've profited from it. $684 to be precise. Still, I'm ready for the "HD Era" and am looking forward to what the upcoming year has in store.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

PSMad wrote:Do any of you guys like... have a job? Or a credit card, come to think of it.
Let me introduce you to the term, "bill".

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

You mean 'Little Bill' off that cursed Sainsburys advert? God I want to shoot him.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

I've never seen him until now, and I already want him dead.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

KILL! KILL!

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

And our favorite pink ranger is back! What you've been up to?

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

Brazillian Cara wrote:...pink ranger...
Dude, lightish red