That didn't last long at all.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shake

Post by Shake »

Y'know, on the subject of Sonic Cartoons, I've always found the OVA to be the most entertaining. Granted, the voices were kind of bad, but the action was solid. Plus, there were Badniks and Springs.

You can't beat that. >_>

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Metal Sonic too! If they re-dubbed the OVA with better voices, that would be awesome!

Or I could go geek-core and download the Japanese language version with fansubs or something.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Though my knowledge of Sonic cartoons is limited (I've never seen Underground or SatAM), I'd have to agree with Shake. True, the voices weren't A-grade, except, perhaps, for Robotnik, who always seems to attract good voice actors -- maybe he's just easy to play. But the voices were humorously poor, rather than just poor. The thought of Tails' nasally voice still cracks me up.

I think the OVA was enjoyable because it was supposed to be an action-comedy, rather than an action series with a deep story. This made it very light-hearted and ... FUN. Furthermore, the action was fast and simple, rather than the drawn-out sequences in Sonic X, but at the same time each action frame had a certain significance. I've spent quite a bit of time going thru the movie in slow-motion just to catch each frame.

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

Cypher wrote:Metal Sonic too! If they re-dubbed the OVA with better voices, that would be awesome!

Or I could go geek-core and download the Japanese language version with fansubs or something.
Actually, there is a DVD available here in the America that has the Japanese language track. However, I can't vouch for whether or not the subtitles translate the Japanese track or if they merely subtitle the dub track, since I don't own the DVD. For that matter, I don't know how faithful the dub track is to the original script. The translated script can be found here, by the way, so you can see for yourself:

http://www.deco.franken.de/anime/scripts.html

As for where to buy the DVD, I saw it on amazon.com for $11.68.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Ecco on Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The T

Post by The T »

I can vouch that the Japanese subtitles are accurate--and far different from the English dub. It's almost kind of humorous to watch the english dub with the subtitles, because they're just so off from each other.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

They're not entirely accurate. Whoever wrote them didn't seem to realise that "Tornado" was the name of Sonic's plane, and if I recall correctly the machine from the first episode gets called a "Robot Generator", even though the characters say "Egg Generator". But maybe it's just my memory that's off.

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

No, you're right, I think. Also, the small detail that, in those particular subtitles, Eggman is never referred to as "Dr. Eggman", although the characters clearly address him as such.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

So, is Shadow's dubber in Sonic X good or what?

The T

Post by The T »

I'm pretty sure they refer to him as Eggman... or are you specifying that it never puts the Doctor in front of it? I can't remember.

All I was saying was, it was closer than the original. It was what you'd expect from a anime company.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

I downloaded most of the first "saga" dubbed, and by god it was embarrasing how long it took 4Kids to figure out that Chaos Control WASN'T the name of Eggman's headquarters, but rather a term for flashy teleportation n'such.

Nova

Post by Nova »

4kids, ruining anime since 1998!

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

That is hilarious.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

I hate how Eggman and Sonic act like rivals in the show rather than, you know, arch nemesises.

Both of them act like assholes in the show.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Edwin Neal is my second favourite english Eggman/Robotnik voice actor (to Deem Bristow of course).
The english VA director for the OVA cast himself as the voice of Metal Sonic. He only had one line and he still made it suck.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

firemario1001 wrote:I hate how Eggman and Sonic act like rivals in the show rather than, you know, arch nemesises.

Weren't they both like this in the OAV also? In addition I do remember Sonic being even more of an asshole in the OAV than Sonic X--though it was kinda funny.

Zaranth

Post by Zaranth »

firemario1001 wrote:I hate how Eggman and Sonic act like rivals in the show rather than, you know, arch nemesises.

Rivals? Doesn't that imply that Sonic's trying to take over the world or that Eggman is trying to save it? whichever it is, its not correct.

and i have to agree with your second sentence. not to mention Knuckles, who's gotten tricked by Eggman....how many times already? i mean, he can't be that gullible, can he?

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Zaranth wrote:and i have to agree with your second sentence. not to mention Knuckles, who's gotten tricked by Eggman....how many times already? i mean, he can't be that gullible, can he?
According to the recent games...he is. =/ Even Sonic Battle supposedly mocked that aspect of Knuckles.
Cypher wrote:Edwin Neal is my second favourite english Eggman/Robotnik voice actor (to Deem Bristow of course).
He voiced him in the English dub of the OAV, correct? Ugh, he made a weak Robotnik, but he was one of the better voices on the dub. That's not saying much though.

Long John Baldry was pretty cool for the character, but I'm probably just saying that because of the hilarity Smorky's cartoons.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

I mean Dr. Eggman will at times act nice to Sonic. Like command his robots to stop attacking Sonic because he's getting beat up too much. WTF?

The only redeeming feature about the cartoon is that Sonic's friends from Sonic 1 make small appearances throughout the show. And you though they were forgotten...

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Cypher wrote:The english VA director for the OVA cast himself as the voice of Metal Sonic. He only had one line and he still made it suck.
There can only be one Sonic-nic-nic-nic...
GREATEST LINE EVAR.
Again, humorously poor.

I would like to see a Sonic comedy that revolves around the SEGA universe. Scrap the drama, or at least save it for certain moments, and make the rest of it a light-hearted scamper with the insane Eggman behind the wheel. I believe it would work, granted some regulations: no one except Knuckles and Eggman is allowed to bitch; Sonic and Tails spend more time together and work off each other more; action scenes are paced much faster; Knuckles isn't always alone; Amy is a lot more violent; Eggman, while allowed to rant as much as possible, is not allowed a sentient sidekick, only bumbling robots (see OVA); no more than three separate stories are allowed to run at one time; and a Chao is beaten up at least once per episode.

Of course, something so divine could never occur in this lifetime, but does anyone find the idea intriguing? With or without these regulations?

Nova

Post by Nova »

Senbei wrote:
Cypher wrote:The english VA director for the OVA cast himself as the voice of Metal Sonic. He only had one line and he still made it suck.
There can only be one Sonic-nic-nic-nic...
GREATEST LINE EVAR.
Again, humorously poor.

I would like to see a Sonic comedy that revolves around the SEGA universe. Scrap the drama, or at least save it for certain moments, and make the rest of it a light-hearted scamper with the insane Eggman behind the wheel. I believe it would work, granted some regulations: no one except Knuckles and Eggman is allowed to bitch; Sonic and Tails spend more time together and work off each other more; action scenes are paced much faster; Knuckles isn't always alone; Amy is a lot more violent; Eggman, while allowed to rant as much as possible, is not allowed a sentient sidekick, only bumbling robots (see OVA); no more than three separate stories are allowed to run at one time; and a Chao is beaten up at least once per episode.

Of course, something so divine could never occur in this lifetime, but does anyone find the idea intriguing? With or without these regulations?
I think someone made a sprite comic about that…

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Well, yes. There are sprite comics about everything.

http://www.sonicverseteam.com/TMOC/

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

firemario1001 wrote:I mean Dr. Eggman will at times act nice to Sonic. Like command his robots to stop attacking Sonic because he's getting beat up too much. WTF?

The only redeeming feature about the cartoon is that Sonic's friends from Sonic 1 make small appearances throughout the show. And you though they were forgotten...
The OAV was full of "WTF?" moments with Eggman also such as him playing some video games with Sera, proposing her hand in marriage, and then the ending were everyone laughs and have a wacky chase scene at the end because Eggman's turtle bomb exploded after Sonics dealed with a grueling and assumed emotional battle with Metal Sonic.

And didn't Eggman saved Sonic once from falling off a cliff in one scene in some Sonic Game Gear game...or so I have heard.

Eggman does seem to be getting a bit soft nowadays though and I'm not just talking about Sonic X. I mean the games where he mostly acts like a catalyst where he loses complete control of a situation and then ends up turning to Sonic and company for assistance. His pitiful role in Sonic Heroes was a total low point there.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Ngangbius wrote:And didn't Eggman saved Sonic once from falling off a cliff in one scene in some Sonic Game Gear game...or so I have heard.
The infamous Underground Zone Act 3 in Sonic 2.
Eggman does seem to be getting a bit soft nowadays though and I'm not just talking about Sonic X. I mean the games where he mostly acts like a catalyst where he loses complete control of a situation and then ends up turning to Sonic and company for assistance. His pitiful role in Sonic Heroes was a total low point there.
Metal Sonic taking control of all of Eggman's resources was fucking awesome. It's a shame that they screwed up royally with the handling of the plot and boss fights, and indeed the fact that such a long awaited story was wasted on a thoroughly shit game.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

firemario1001 wrote:I mean Dr. Eggman will at times act nice to Sonic. Like command his robots to stop attacking Sonic because he's getting beat up too much. WTF?
See, he's actually ALWAYS been like this. I know it's kind of hard to grasp after the American cartoons, comics, manuals, etc, but he's always been portrayed as a goof and a child in the Japanese world. I think he does want to control the world to some extent, but more than that he wants to beat Sonic at this game they've been playing for however long. Sonic feels the same way; he looks forward to the challenge Eggman gives him. In that sense, they are rivals.

For someone trying to conquer the world, it's interesting to note that he's never killed anybody. SA2 is the first game to break this trend when he blows up Prison Island, but Sonic X goes out of its way to say the island was evacuated. He was also going to blow himself up with Station Square, but that was temporary insanity.

I really do believe that he's incapable of killing not only Sonic but anybody, at least in cold blood. He's just a kid playing with his toys, and trying to take over the world is his way of asking Sonic to come out and play. I came to this realization before I saw Sonic X and the show simply confirmed my interpretation as the one Sonic Team intended. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way, so somebody back me up.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Frieza knows his shit. *thumbs up*