The end of a mystery... (S3&K)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Starscream

The end of a mystery... (S3&K)

Post by Starscream »

"Also, you'll note that the signs at the end of the Act fall from the sky this time -- knock them around for points, or try to land 'em on secret "hotspots" on the ground to produce an Item Box"

I never knew what the trick with those things was, or if the boxes just dropped out at random. I seemed to get a bubble at Angel Island every time. Are these hotspots *known*? God knows how many times I bumped those signs around. Weirdly enough, you could get a pair of sneakers at Sandopolis.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Yeah, the items aren't random. I remember always aiming for hotsots to get certain items but I don't remember the exact positions of them.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I used to think there was a 1-pixel white line that showed where the hotspots were from when I played the game on a TV screen, but further investigation shows I was just getting lucky

Starscream

Post by Starscream »

Omni Hunter wrote:Yeah, the items aren't random. I remember always aiming for hotspots to get certain items but I don't remember the exact positions of them.
I'm beginning to wonder whether or not the positions are random though. I thought I found two spots in Flying Battery (they're easy to spot as they're the only breakups in the floor on both sides of the pod) but today only one them produced a box.
Unless of course my aiming was slightly off, in which case you have to land those signs insanely precise... There are a few levels where the spot is right where the sign drops down (Angel Island, a bubble, and Mushroom Hill, a box of rings) so at least that doesn't change.

Yesterday I found three spots in Ice Cap. All three boxes of rings. :smile:

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

The positions definitely are not random. A thousand and one playthroughs have confirmed that. The most impressive box to get is the one at Sandopolis Zone act 1. If you charge up a hefty spin-dash prior to knocking the rock golem into the quicksand you'll bounce back a good way, and if your timing is true the sign falls straight down onto a hidden extra life box.

It's one of those silly prestige feats, like reaching the hidden emblem on the ledge across from Tails's workshop in Sonic Adventure as Sonic. Certainly good enough for bragging points.

*brags*

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

That's easy, all you do is spindash and jump.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Well of course it's easy in practice. What's tricky was finding a method of getting the sign to drop straight down on the extra life in the first place.

Far as I know, that's the only sign-drop spot that gives a 1-up.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I was talking about the emblem thing.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Then I'll shut up. Shut up like a fox!

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

What the cra...you're good.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Now do the rest.

Starscream

Post by Starscream »

Eh... I knew where the ones in Ice Cap were!

Nice :smile:

Professor Machenstein

I'm having a difficult time with Sandopolis. I know there are monitors there, but the emulator is not showing them when I remove the frames to reveil their location in the ground. If any of you know the locations of all the monitors in Sandopolis' goal point, I could use your assistance.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Sorry, I only know the exact position of the one I mentioned earlier in this thread. And truthfully I don't know as much WHERE it is as HOW to get it.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

[quote="Professor Machenstein"][/quote]

WELL? Where's the rest?

Professor Machenstein

Read my previous post. I am working on the Sonic & Knuckles monitor locations, but I cannot proceed until I get Sandopolis done... Which is something I cannot do at the moment because I cannot see the monitors in the ground at the goal-point. When taking those screenshots with an emulator, I can remove backgrounds and certain sprites, allowing me to see what's hiding behind the ground. I cannot do this in Sandopolis. I'm thinking it has something to do with the pyramid background that rises up when you are facing the Act 1 Boss (The stone mummy thing). I guess I'll have to find another emulator or program. I'm open for suggestions.

I'm using Megasis, by the way.

Starscream

Post by Starscream »

Why not skip Sandopolis in the mean time and get the others done? :smile: