I miss Cloud's old hairstyle(Advent Children)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dash

I miss Cloud's old hairstyle(Advent Children)

Post by Dash »

Yeah, so I downloaded it to see if it was worth a purchase this fall but my particular copy had the (fan)subtitles seperate from the movie. Does anyone know how to get them playing along with it?

I watched a bit of it sans subs. It does look good.
Last edited by Dash on Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Media Player Classic/VobSub.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

VLC player definitely works too, that's what I was using.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Ok, now I'm trying it through MPC but it's saying I have to change the video renderer type before it can add subtitles. I'm looking for such an option but so far I haven't found it...

EDIT: Nevermind. Tried it with VLC and it ran the subtitles without a hitch. Thanks for the help guys=)

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Is Advent Children worth giving Nomura my money to, considering everything he's worked on since Final Fantasy X has been mediocre? I'm waiting for the R1 DVD release, but I can't watch the movie fansubbed, so I need a general census.

MartinB

Post by MartinB »

It's good. The story's wafer thin, badly explained and generally nonsensical, but the action sequences are pretty stunning, and it's kinda nice to see the old cast back together again, even if they don't really do anything. If you liked FF7 you should get it, I reckon.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Someone went and made <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/beeble ... html">joke subtitles</a>. The jokes aren't all funny, but it's pretty amusing. And a tad better than the actual script.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

The Something Awful goons are working on completely new subtitles. I'm waiting on those.

And yeah, the movie was terrible/non-existent, but the action was worth it. I'll watch it again just for the action, but new subtitles would help me enjoy the whole thing more. :P

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Wait, so the movie is already out?

...Or are you guys talking about the Jap version, and the US version has yet to be released, and I failed to realize this because I'm a dumbass and I need to die?

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Only the Japanese version I'm afraid.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Of course you can easily find a torrent of it complete with English subtitles.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

My computer must be pretty slow or I don't know jack about torrent since the download didn't seem to work for me.

So after struggling to download so much of the movie and not getting anywhere, I decided to be patient and wait for the damn US release. I might as well since I actually wanna watch the damn thing on my TV screen.
~Neo

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

I saw it.

And it was fucking awesome.

The story really isn't all that bad... It's pretty much a lot of fanservice for the hardcore FF7-fans, with all the cameos, FF in-jokes and obscure refrences. But yeah, the fights are definetly the best part-- especially at the end where Cloud throws all his swords up in the air, and then grabs each of them in mid-air and uses them one-by-one to stab the shit out of Sephiroth, and the fight with Tifa and that one guy with the electric shield thing in the church was ten kinds of awesome, and the FF victory music at the end was a nice touch.

Plus, Tifa was hot.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't like the way the characters look. I hate the homogenous Square house CG style, and it was kind of depressing to watch them suck all of the style out of the FF7 artwork until it looked as shitty as all of their other shit does now.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Their FMV style has not changed one bit since FF VIII.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Meaning what?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Meaning that everyone has been made to look like women, unless they're black or retarded.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

That's exactly what I'm talking about. If you look at FF7's cut scenes, or especially if you look at FF7's hand drawn artwork, you see a game that had a charming, distinctive style. Advent Children obliterates that in favour of the style of FF8... and FF10, and FF11, and FF12...

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I mean, I can understand the fact that 'bishounen' that look like women are popular with a lot of audiences, but your entire cast does not need to be pretty. I mean, come on, Vincent should have at least some gray hair, or wrinkles, or something indicating the massive amount of stress placed upon him. And Loz... Jesus, I still can't tell the gender.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Meaning that everyone has been made to look like women, unless they're black or retarded.
The guys in the series have been looking femmy since the very first game; the only members of FFVII's cast who looked particularly manly were Cid and the aforementioned black guy.
Advent Children obliterates that in favour of the style of FF8... and FF10, and FF11, and FF12...
FFXII's art style is rather different from that of FFVIII and FFX. Different character designer, art director, etc.

Starscream

Post by Starscream »

I really like the new designs. Cloud's old hair would have been ridiculous. At least they got away from the cartoonish design. I particulary like Sephiroth's makeover. He looks ten times as menacing. The women, I'm not so sure of. Tifa and Aeris look decidedly more Asian now. That's not how I thought of them but oh well.

As for the "feminization" of the lead characters. It's true, the Japanese seem to have a thing for it. But aside from a slight fetish, I think it has to do with creating a character that is appealing to both male and female players? It's like a blank slate. I guess it's not easy to compromise between that, and giving the character a defined "look" and personality.

But it does bother me how they've become more and more "female" throughout the series. I've always thought of Cloud as slightly androgynous but Tidus was a low point for me. I suppose the closest thing to a "manly" character was Squall, no? I never played FF8 myself.

But you know, it's just become one of many stock characters in the franchise. The schoolgirl, the buddy, the beast,...

One final note: the Turks are looking pretty awesome. For those who've seen it, what are they like? And how's Rufus for that matter?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

They don't NEED androgynous characters. You have more than one character you can control, and more importantly, they all have unique and special genders, like magical snowflakes of character design.
I'm tired of playing games where I have to guess the main character's gender.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

An example of a game that did not require such would be Skies of Arcadia.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Starscream wrote:I particulary like Sephiroth's makeover. He looks ten times as menacing.
Uh, no, he looks like a MTF. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Starscream wrote:I suppose the closest thing to a "manly" character was Squall, no? I never played FF8 myself.
Ahahaha. Ahaha. No.
Starscream wrote:And how's Rufus for that matter?
He rocks out with his cock out. Nerd.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Double-S- wrote:An example of a game that did not require such would be Skies of Arcadia.
Yeah. Vyse was a pirate. A manly pirate. A manly pirate who liked to shout 'Jory Rawjro'.