Sega gets new voice actors?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
LOUD-TREE

Sega gets new voice actors?

Post by LOUD-TREE »

http://www.sonicstadium.org/board/index ... opic=10278

Appearently the ones from the anime.

This might explain the horrid voice in Sonic Riders.

Maby it's true, maby it's not, but we'll see.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Actually, this means the voice acting just went from bad to worse.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The English voice squad, for the most part, did a damn good job under the conditions they were working, and Ryan Drummond gave the perfect voice for an English speaking Sonic. It's an absolute disgrace how both 4Kids and Sega of America have treated him and his co-workers.

manaleak34

Post by manaleak34 »

Anything relating to 4Kids makes me die inside...but more than usual.

The Scarlet Scorpion

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

This message board specializes in dying inside. By the end of the thread, you'll be like a wlaking corpse that only thirsts for the flesh of the living... and boobies. Even if you're a girl, you must still thirst for boobies. It's a requirement here.

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

Crazy Penguin wrote:The English voice squad, for the most part, did a damn good job under the conditions they were working, and Ryan Drummond gave the perfect voice for an English speaking Sonic. It's an absolute disgrace how both 4Kids and Sega of America have treated him and his co-workers.
I agree Ryan was a damn good voice actor for the Adventure era of Sonic the Hedgehog. But, if you've ever seen the Sonic anime movie, Martin Burke did the perfect sonic voice for the pre-adventure style.

manaleak34

Post by manaleak34 »

The Scarlet Scorpion wrote:This message board specializes in dying inside. By the end of the thread, you'll be like a wlaking corpse that only thirsts for the flesh of the living... and boobies. Even if you're a girl, you must still thirst for boobies. It's a requirement here.
Eh, I can deal with that. Boobies are always good.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

LOUD-TREE wrote:
Crazy Penguin wrote:The English voice squad, for the most part, did a damn good job under the conditions they were working, and Ryan Drummond gave the perfect voice for an English speaking Sonic. It's an absolute disgrace how both 4Kids and Sega of America have treated him and his co-workers.
I agree Ryan was a damn good voice actor for the Adventure era of Sonic the Hedgehog. But, if you've ever seen the Sonic anime movie, Martin Burke did the perfect sonic voice for the pre-adventure style.
I highly disagree as he's the worst Sonic voice I've ever heard. In fact, all of the English voice acting of the Sonic OAV was ass and several notches below 4Kids job on Sonic X.

As for the news, I want to see actual confirmation on Drummond's site(since anyone can fake an email) or Sega before believing it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Just backing up ngangbius about Burke. That guy was horrible! Sonic should never, never, NEVER have a southern accent!

But it's funny how everyone who grows up with a long-time silent character forms a different idea of how he should sound. I thought Ryan did a decent job, but he always sounded way too... well, white to me. I always pictured Sonic as having a black voice actor. No idea why.

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

Esrever wrote:Just backing up ngangbius about Burke. That guy was horrible! Sonic should never, never, NEVER have a southern accent!

But it's funny how everyone who grows up with a long-time silent character forms a different idea of how he should sound. I thought Ryan did a decent job, but he always sounded way too... well, white to me. I always pictured Sonic as having a black voice actor. No idea why.
That was the TV show. He didn't have a southern accent in THE MOVIE.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I completely understand why Burke's Sonic is so unpopular, but for whatever reason, I can't help but love that nasal pseudo-British thing he's got going.

Also, splicing a two- or three-part OVA into a single feature does not a motion picture make. Unless it's that one Rayearth movie.

Maximillion Fitzgerald

Post by Maximillion Fitzgerald »

Well Mr Drummond just replied to my email. It's legit. He's no longer Sonic. See you later while I go cry. :sad:

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I thought Ryan did a decent job, but he always sounded way too... well, white to me. I always pictured Sonic as having a black voice actor. No idea why.
Yes, I always thought that if Sonic was a regular old human - he'd be black. Even before the cartoon. So I always picture him working best with a black voice actor.

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

Kishi wrote:I completely understand why Burke's Sonic is so unpopular, but for whatever reason, I can't help but love that nasal pseudo-British thing he's got going.

Also, splicing a two- or three-part OVA into a single feature does not a motion picture make. Unless it's that one Rayearth movie.
It was a two part OVA-- Journy to EggmanLand, and Sonic Vs. Metal Sonic. But it's easier to call it a movie, because, well, it just is.

I just recently bought the thing, and love the crap outta' it.
Last edited by LOUD-TREE on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

LOUD-TREE wrote:That was the TV show. He didn't have a southern accent in THE MOVIE.
Don't insult me, mate. It's not like I can't tell the difference between the movie and the TV shows. I'll admit that maybe "southern" was the wrong category for Martin Burke's horrendous and near-unidentifiable bizarro hybrid accent, but it's the closest approximation I've ever been able to come with. Besides, Sonic definitely did not have a southern accent in any of the television shows.

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

Esrever wrote:
LOUD-TREE wrote:That was the TV show. He didn't have a southern accent in THE MOVIE.
Don't insult me, mate. It's not like I can't tell the difference between the movie and the TV shows. I'll admit that maybe "southern" was the wrong category for Martin Burke's horrendous and near-unidentifiable bizarro hybrid accent, but it's the closest approximation I've ever been able to come with. Besides, Sonic definitely did not have a southern accent in any of the television shows.
I just thought maybe you had them confused. Wasn't trying to insult. Jaleel White's Sonic voice was just so damn southern compared to Burke.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

LOUD-TREE wrote:
Kishi wrote:Also, splicing a two- or three-part OVA into a single feature does not a motion picture make. Unless it's that one Rayearth movie.
It was a two part OVA-- Journy to EggmanLand, and Sonic Vs. Metal Sonic.
I know. I was speaking in general terms; three-part OVAs receive the "movie" treatment just the same.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

LOUD-TREE wrote:
I just thought maybe you had them confused. Wasn't trying to insult. Jaleel White's Sonic voice was just so damn southern compared to Burke.
Jaleel White's Sonic didn't sound southern, but it sure did sound annoying and whiny at times--especially on AoStH.

I always pictured in my head before the American cartoons that Sonic would sound like Michael J. Fox or Matthew Broderick because I thought characters like Marty McFly and Ferris Bueller as cool--just like Sonic. So I was quite disappointed when it was announced that freakin' Steve Urkel was going to voice the coolest character in the video gaming world back then. =(

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Haha, I'd like Michael J. Fox as Sonic.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Kishi wrote:Haha, I'd like Michael J. Fox as Sonic.
Hahaha! Yes. Let's start a petition.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Big deal! They're replacing some rubbish voice actors with some other rubbish voice actors. It seems a bit pointless to me but voice acting has been one of the weaker elements of the Sonic games so I can't say I'm particularly bothered about it.

Chaos Sepher

Post by Chaos Sepher »

I have long been a fan of Sonic and GHZ, but I have registered in the forums for one perpose. To insight action against this attrocity on the Sonic series. We must make it know to Sega that we will not stand for such a incompetent and idiotic action as replacing the current reknowed voice cast of the Sonic games, with the sub-par cast of the 4kids procuded SonicX. Which, we all know, 4kids wouldn't know a good voice actor if one walked up to them and screamed in their ears. We must unite as one, spread the word and insight other fans to join in, and make known our outrage. WHO'S WITH ME?!

First thing we must do is make it known to Sega how fans feel about this.

http://www.sega.com/support/support_csonline.php
This is the customer service message page for Sega. Tell them exactly how you feel about this voice cast mess. Maybe this will get their attention.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Chaos Sepher wrote:I have long been a fan of Sonic and GHZ, but I have registered in the forums for one perpose. To insight action against this attrocity on the Sonic series. We must make it know to Sega that we will not stand for such a incompetent and idiotic action as replacing the current reknowed voice cast of the Sonic games, with the sub-par cast of the 4kids procuded SonicX. Which, we all know, 4kids wouldn't know a good voice actor if one walked up to them and screamed in their ears. We must unite as one, spread the word and insight other fans to join in, and make known our outrage. WHO'S WITH ME?!

First thing we must do is make it known to Sega how fans feel about this.

http://www.sega.com/support/support_csonline.php
This is the customer service message page for Sega. Tell them exactly how you feel about this voice cast mess. Maybe this will get their attention.
Never log in again.

Chaos Sepher

Post by Chaos Sepher »

:oops: *sigh* Allow me to apologize. I tend to fly off the handle when it comes to idiocies like this. Especially when 4kids is involved (Lord how I hate them so)

However, I still stand by my last comment. If Sega gives a damn about customer satisfaction, they will listen to us. So we can either sit here and talk about how much this cast chage sucks, or we could do something about it.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I don't think it really matters.